Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 14:41   #16

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
USCG NVDC Processing Dates

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, PDF Page
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 15:38   #17

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
I don't mean to malign the Coasties on the boats, just their back office. I was simply amazed at a 102 day backlog in processing documents for an outfit that charges $85 for a simple change. That, plus charging my credit card immediately - no delay in that process. Anyway, pardon my venting. I have a current COD, it simply shows the wrong hailing port, and I wanted my papers to be in order when I enter the USA (from Mexico) for the first time with my boat. I'll just carry a copy of my application and correspondence to present to the officers at my port of entry.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 19:25   #18
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
As usual the USCG (in the spirit of full disclosure, I am retired USCG, 34 years) is understaffed and overloaded. In the 20 years I worked in the boating safety office we went from 20 staff members down to 8 to handle over 4000 boat manufacturers and a heck of a lot of other stuff. I know for a fact the Documentation Center has seen the same kind of staff reductions. Fortunately automation, the internet, and other innovations have helped but still it does take a while to process an application simply because of the volume. But as with the IRS, it only takes a minute or two to process a credit card number and send an e-mail. Thank God for e-mail. It used to have to write a letter to every person who called or wrote. Each letter had to go through several levels of bureauocracy and be signed by somebody higher up (and usually got several rewrites. And the law says you have to respond in ten working days) Now you just send a stock boilerplate e-mail. fill in the blanks and hit send.

Don't complain. I have tried dealing with some Federal agencies and waited up to 6 months before I even got an acknowledgement that I contacted them.
Old 29-11-2010, 19:44   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
One of the reasons the USCG documentation center is behind is their ridiculous policy of sending out a new document every year. Even though they don't charge for the renewals, a new piece of paper every 5 years would be far more efficient.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 21:08   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I would think that paperwork is pretty low on their mission statement.

If you want to hear another example...went to get my license renewed
there was a "flag " on it from Pennsylvania....when I inquired with PA it was from a ticket that has been taken care of 6 or so years ago.........
I had to document that I own no vehicles in Pennsylvania,,,is that wierd or what?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:13   #21

I've moved three times, but kept the hailing port the same. There is no charge for changing your address. Just do it when you renew. There is a space on the renewal form for change of address. Charges kick in if you change the hailing port or name of the boat. By the way, name and hailing port are both required to be posted on the boat, and there are specific requirements for size of the lettering. Additionally, your Official Number needs to be either posted outside (for commercial vessels) or permanently attached to the hull in a conspicuous location inside. I've been boarded by both the USCG and FWC and after determining I had all required safety gear on board, they never even looked at my documentation.
COCG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:26   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i was advised the hailing port is necessary and i could forego the name part. so there is a difference in different parts of the country , or is it just the individual in uscg with whom one converses in fist place. my ericson hasnt had name on transom for 6 yrs and every year i am inspected by uscg aux. not one has ever dissed me for name not being on-- even told me isnt but hailing port NEEDED on boat. so----- go figger.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:55   #23

They have never worried about the name or hailing port on my boats either, however I am in compliance. Pulled this off the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center Web Site:
HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
COCG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 12:10   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol i guess they quit giving out compliance tickets WAAAYYYY LONNNG TIME AGO on this one........the only ones they are insistent on is the one inside and the hailing port..even some wanna be jack boot uscg aux guys have no compliance--- there is a bully aux member here with NO visible namke nor hailing port----some way to comply-- but then these particular folks are bullies who did their bullying as alleged cruisers all the way down west coast to san diego from pnw or wherever. so i guess they dont reallly want to be identified..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:17   #25

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Yes, both Name and Hailing Port are required by regulation. Any US city with a post office can be used, residency is not required (don't ask for the logic in that part). When we bought our boat and put it into charter, we were living in Indonesia, on the island of Java, so out of fun we chose Java, AL (a tiny crossroads in Alabama far from any water). Later, after taking our boat private (out of charter) and while repainting the boat's logos, I had the hailing port repainted to reflect our new home town, Durango CO. Then, I discovered the $85 fee to change the hailing port on the COD - oh well, pay and smile. Leaving the old hailing port on the COD would likely never be noticed if we were in the USA, but clearing in and out of other countries, and into the USA next season, closer scrutiny of the COD and boat markings might be anticipated. Now I'll just have to be patient until the Office of Vessel Documentation eventually processes a two word change on my DOC.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 14:23   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Called the USCG Documentation Center today. The recorded message said recreational initial documentations are backlogged due to personnel shortage. The center told me my application would be processed today (the processor had my application in hand). I had submitted the application in September.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 14:46   #27
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I have to add my .02. The problem is the department is managed by Homeland Security.

Remember when there where a couple people who snuck through airport security by going in through the out door? The guards where either distracted our took a potty break.

So the answer was to put another guard on duty so they could watch to make sure the first guard was doing his job. This is no joke, check it out an an airport. Now there are two guards, one in front of the other.

Sorry for the drift.
Old 14-12-2010, 16:44   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Why bother changing the hailing port? My understanding is that it doesn't have to coincide with one's actual home port or where one regularly berths the boat.
Some states have a problem if the hailing port is out of state
Old 15-12-2010, 06:41   #29

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
One of the reasons the USCG documentation center is behind is their ridiculous policy of sending out a new document every year. Even though they don't charge for the renewals, a new piece of paper every 5 years would be far more efficient.
That is the most reasonable course. Unless something changes, why keep replacing the original paperwork? (In California it takes six months to get a change of address on a driver's license; in Arizona, where a license is good until you are 65 years old, they do it the same hour you walk into their office and give it to you on the spot - they don't have a lot of busy work to do...)
It is worse for those of us overseas - getting the actual physical piece of paper once a year can be a trial, and it is necessary for moving around on the boat. Foreign authorities aren't very understanding about why you don't have current documentation. In that regard, scanners can be very useful...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 07:20   #30

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I have to add my .02. The problem is the department is managed by Homeland Security.

Remember when there where a couple people who snuck through airport security by going in through the out door? The guards where either distracted our took a potty break.

So the answer was to put another guard on duty so they could watch to make sure the first guard was doing his job. This is no joke, check it out an an airport. Now there are two guards, one in front of the other.

Sorry for the drift.

Didn't realize the concept of a supervisor was troubling. Someone should tell the world.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote