Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:00   #1
Marine Service Provider

Getting a US Visa

I'm a US citizen. Lived in NJ my whole life. I have a friend from Brazil who would like to visit. She lived here for about 1-1/2 years a little over a year ago, while going to school. I don't know the exact details, but basically it's going to be a huge PITA for her to get a visa to come back. Probably going to take a lot of time and money.

Does anyone know if there's any kind of loophole, or if it would somehow make it easier, if she was coming here to help me move my boat? I figure people from all over the world seem to be traveling all over the world and hoping on boats that are going all over the world. So, maybe there's some sort of condition in there, that would make going this route easier. Or would she have to be boarding the boat in the US, and getting off in another country? Or are we just **** outta luck?

Any help, tips, info would be greatly appreciated. Seriously, why is so damn hard to get into this country?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Embaixada dos Estados Unidos no Brasil

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
. Seriously, why is so damn hard to get into this country?
Only difficult if you want to do it legally.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:16   #4

I am new to sailing so don't have a clue if there is a loophole to get crew into the country but have sponsored a couple people before for a visit.

It is pretty straightforward and easy actually. You will need to fill out financial paperwork stating your assests and such. There is a very slight possibility you would need to put up a bond but I have only heard of that really only a couple of times if your assests are sufficient. You must send it to your friend (yes, they get to see all your financials) who takes it to the embassy when they do their interview. Normally interviews are set up fairly quickly. Last person I sponsored got their apt. in less than a month and were issued their visa a couple days later and could travel immediately.

If your friend has already been here before, and left on schedule (didn't overstay her visa) and she has strong ties to her country she probably won't have much of an issue getting a new visa.
Justme01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Really?

Last time I looked into it, it said you could only sponsor someone if you were related...or err engaged.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:36   #6

True for an immigrant visa.

For a tourist visa you can sponsor friends.

Maybe this would be of help?

http://www.usembassy.it/visa/vis/VIS-3-en.asp
Old 02-07-2010, 10:18   #7

Greetings all.I am new to the community and I hope my first post will help you and others with similure cases. First she needs the electronic passport
that has the chip inside.I know this for a fact because my girlfriend lives in Hungary and visits me all the time and she can stay without a visa for upto 90 days.If she states she is going to work she needs a work visa and she then needs to provide proof of where she is going to work ect.They will check and if she lies or you lie it wont be good and she will be black listed and will never be allowed in the U.S..I have a friend who works for immigration services and has informed me of this for my situation.Here is a linkto the ESTA site I hope this will help and Good Luck to you.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.h...7-3400F501CD1A
Outlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40   #8

Hungary is part of the visa waiver program. She shouldn't need a visa at all for up to 90 days.

Why are you spending money on an attorney? Are you changing hers to an "immigrant" visa? why not just have her leave and come back? or, is there a certain amount of time that they can stay in the country in a years time? I have done border runs in other countries but not even sure how my own country works... LOL
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54   #9

Yes I am getting her a K1 visa. The visa waiver program is for tourist.But it only works if you have the ESTA passport and if the country is on the approved list.But its a good deal for crews ect. but the downside is they must have a roundtrip ticket or you wont be allowed in the country(as far as I know).
Old 02-07-2010, 10:58   #10

Grunzster, if your friend has already been here and returned before her visa expired, it shouldn't be a problem to get a tourist visa, as the OP pointed out. She'll need to demonstrate means of support, i.e., a round-trip plane ticket and pocket money while she's here. The previous visa, if over-stayed, may be a deal killer.

I am sending you a P.M. also...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:40   #11

Your friend only needs to have the "new" electronic passport. here is the link to the ESTA site. If they over stay the 90 days they wont be able to return for a year from my understanding unless they can show proof of why they over stayed....delayed flight ect. Work visa's and such are getting a pain to get because of the reasons we know why.They can be costly and there is a ton of paper work involved.I have no knowledge of anyone visiting from S.America but I know the process from someone visiting from the EU and I am sure it is close to the same as long as the country is on the approved list.Here is the link for the ESTA site.For some reason my first post on this didnt stick. Oh and a big hello from Texas.This link is for the Homeland security site which handles this now.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.h...7-3400F501CD1A
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
First off, the Visa Waiver Program is for foreigners who arrive and depart via scheduled airline service through designated international airports of entry. If your friend intends to enter or exit the USA via a private vessel she needs to apply for a B1/B2 visa - NO MATTER what country she is from or how rich she is. That is both a time and money consuming project, although getting a B1/B2 is a lot easier if you and your boat are at a high traffic cruiser island like Barbados.
- - I have been through the processes for a number of years for friends who I want to bring over for some time sailing/cruising. Number 1 in the process is having "ties" to the home country. This is laid out as having money, a permanent job, a good wage, own property and investments in the home country, etc. All these things are used to point to the fact that this is really only a "tourist" visit and the probability of the person returning to their home country is highly, if not completely assured.
- - If you get into the US Visa regulations you will see in black and white print that the US State Department/Homeland Security consider "everybody who is applying for a visitor visa to be lying." So overwhelming proof that you really are a "tourist" is needed. And the ringer in the whole system is another regulation that states that the consulate officer has total discretion - which is not subject to appeal - to summarily reject any applicant for a B1/B2 without cause. You can always apply again but your odds at succeeding has dramatically dropped to near zero. You want to do it correctly the first time.
- - Of course, previously approved visitor visas to the USA are a huge plus in the process and her Student Visa and demonstrated fact that she did return to Brazil is a major plus in the process for her.
- - The choice of Embassy/Consulate to apply at - is a major critical factor. A lot of research is necessary to find the good places and avoid the bad places. Currently in the Caribbean the good places are Barbados and Belize. But that is subject to change as the staffing of the Consulate changes.
- - For Brazil you would have to "network" with others to find the US Consulate (if there is more than one) that is considered "reasonable or good." And you need to present documentation and especially physical appearance that shouts "I am well-off and have tons of assets and permanent job ties that guarantee I will have to return to Brazil."
- - Another option is to join an organized tour group or have a professional arrange a "business" tour of the same duration. The current political climate in the USA is very "anti-illegal immigrant" so the people approving the B1/B2's are paying close attention to all applications.
- - The only shortcut is to sail to the area between Florida and Cuba and put her on a raft that she can get to the beach with. Then scream in Spanish she is a Cuban. The point is there are totally illogical "exceptions" passed by the politicians that really piss off upstanding citizens of other countries who really and honestly only want to visit and tour the USA and then go back home.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

So what you're saying is I'm much more likely to meet her in Belize in the fall, then for her to make it here?

Sounds like another vote to keep sailing past Florida, and never come back to this wonderful country.

<Bites tongue before getting into whole 9/11 rant> They didn't seem to have any trouble getting visas?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Your assessment is dead on. Which is why I am in Grenada/Trinidad versus Florida. Most of the Caribbean and Central/South America (except for European controlled island countries and US Islands) are still much the way the USA was prior to "9/11."
- - You will have a lot (and I mean a lot!) of fun if you meet her in one of the islands or C/S American countries versus the USA. There are a quite a few "side-benefits" to being able to anchor off "deserted" little islands in crystal clear waters with a canopy of blazing stars at night. Problem with that is - you and her might end up in my predicament of now having to get an immigrant Visa prior to be able to return with her to the USA.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Was already thinking maybe MX. Coz? Prob Tolum, since I have a friend there. And at that point, why not continue to Belize...top of my list for if I ever move back on land.

Return to the US?