Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 12:08   #1
h20

Florida Sales Tax and Exit Fees? Can You?

the broker said they would put a 90 sticker on the boat or I would have to pay sales tax. I wonder how long you have to be out of Florida if you want to come back for a visit?
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 06:22   #2

Re: Florida sales tax and exit fees? can you?

You must own and use your boat in another state or territory of the U.S. for at least 6 months in order to avoid paying the Florida use tax when you return.

All the details here: http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:47   #3

Not just states but anywhere , Bahamas , Cuba , Outer Mongolia ! If they believe that you are telling a fib they may ask for proof !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 14:22   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistarckle View Post
Not just states but anywhere , Bahamas , Cuba , Outer Mongolia ! If they believe that you are telling a fib they may ask for proof !
This is not correct, it specifically says that time spent in Foreign waters does not count towards the six months. They also want proof that you left the state. Receipts for slip rental and fuel receipts are what they are looking for. First they send you a bill for the sales/use tax. If you send them back proof you are not in the state, they will eventually send you a letter stating that you don't owe any tax.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 15:52   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

don-
IIRC last time I read the Florida regs on that, it is not "out of state" but translated into "out of Florida and registered in another venue that collected taxes or didn't require them".

Not just "get lost for six months" but show proof that was subject to some other tax authority for that time, as well.

And of course, coming back to visit may be more complicated as well. Visit for 91 days and they'll want more as well, right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 18:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
don-
IIRC last time I read the Florida regs on that, it is not "out of state" but translated into "out of Florida and registered in another venue that collected taxes or didn't require them".

Not just "get lost for six months" but show proof that was subject to some other tax authority for that time, as well.

And of course, coming back to visit may be more complicated as well. Visit for 91 days and they'll want more as well, right?
If after six months in another jurisdiction you visit for 91 days then they just want the reistration fee which is much less than sales tax. It depends on the size of your boat.
Old 01-03-2014, 21:15   #7

If your intent is to keep the boat in Florida, just pay the tax.

"Even if the boat is not initially taxable in Florida, however, the vessel will again become taxable at a rate of 6% of fair market value if the boat remains in Florida for 90 consecutive days or 183 days within a calendar year. These basic rules continue to apply."
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 21:50   #8

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

Wait, Let me get this straight. I pay taxes to MD where I keep the boat now and have to pay them again when I visit Fl for more than 90 days. Something does not sound right. Registration OK what that $24 - $75 but I have already paid 6% Tax In MD.

????????? And I thought owning an airplane was a pain.
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:07   #9

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin37 View Post
Wait, Let me get this straight. I pay taxes to MD where I keep the boat now and have to pay them again when I visit Fl for more than 90 days. Something does not sound right. Registration OK what that $24 - $75 but I have already paid 6% Tax In MD.

????????? And I thought owning an airplane was a pain.
If you can prove you've owned it for six months in another state through registration and other documents, you are not charged use tax upon moving it to Florida.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

BandB is correct. That was my experience. I went to the local county tax office, expecting to have to pay the difference between Virginia sales tax already paid and the Florida sales tax, but was told by the tax official that since I had owned the boat for more than six months outside of Florida, all I needed to do was register it. The annual registration fee is peanuts compared to 6% sales tax.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If you can prove you've owned it for six months in another state through registration and other documents, you are not charged use tax upon moving it to Florida.

I think this is how most localities interpret this.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
If your intent is to keep the boat in Florida, just pay the tax.

"Even if the boat is not initially taxable in Florida, however, the vessel will again become taxable at a rate of 6% of fair market value if the boat remains in Florida for 90 consecutive days or 183 days within a calendar year. These basic rules continue to apply."
I don't know where you got your information, but it is not correct. I bought my boat used in Florida and moved it to NC where I lived at the time. NC has no sales or use tax on used boats purchased from individuals. I moved it back to Florida two years ago and all I had to pay was the registration fee. Since you put quotes around your second paragraph I assume you have a source for this statement. Do you mind sharing where you found this quote?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08   #13

Re: Florida Sales Tax and Exit Fees? Can You?

Come on, people. I posted the link to the official document with all of the details. How can some of you continue to post patently WRONG information!?!

The beauty of the internet, I guess. Eh? Even those who have been told the correct answer, and shown where to find it for themselves, will still post complete BS.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:19   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We bought our hurricane IVAN distressed boat from the PO and had it trucked to Michigan. It was three years on the hard for repairs and re-fit before we titled in Michigan. This means paying Michigan 6% sales tax. You get a title like a car title and it notes that all Michigan transfer/sales tax is paid. On launch, we had to also pay for Michigan water use tax to get the state sticker for the bow. 550 bucks - not small $$. We are documented so no state numbers.

We were warned to quickly get out of FL to avoid the transfer tax man and that they may follow the trail to nick us unless we could prove it was not in FL. We have enough paper at this point and more than 7 years in Michigan that I expect no problems when we re-enter Fl in a couple of years. Florida, in fact, never chased us as far as we know.

I am pretty sure that Cap Bill, DenverDON & Band B are correct on this. You don't pay sales tax on personal property you owned before you immigrate to Florida from another state. You will be obligated to pay registration if you exceed the grace period. This is a common practice in most states. I find that it is seldom enforced here and you are not likely to be noticed unless you become a permanent resident of a harbor, club, mooring. Also, if your foreign state water use sticker is still valid, you may also pass under the dragnet. Moving to new harbors occasionally helps to keep you as a transient to the eyes of officials.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:43   #15

Given all of this, other than folks transiting in planning to go to the Bahamas or the Keys, why would anyone want to even consider bringing their boat to Florida? Such a "boater friendly" State, eh?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, florida, sale