Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 07:09   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Florida questions

Hi all,
went to visit daughter in winston salem on way to florida. on way there i stopped in west virginia to document boat with the coast guard. no water within who knows how many miles. govt at work. Got to florida and registered and questioned why the charge is so much because i understood if boat is over 25 years the fee is only 6.00. She said because of the coast guard documentation it takes that off the table. what are advantages of coast guard doc? if not in florida for a long length of time do i need to renew my registration there or only make sure i'm up to date if in the state? will other states/countries question florida reg being overdue? will be liveaboard for a long time on shoestring budget and want to cut any unnecessary stuff out. next year should i let coast guard doc lapse or a keeper?
thanx in advance
eddie
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Florida questions

It is true that the USCG documentation and the state registration are separate certifications and one does not replace the other.

I do have my vessel documented with the Coast Guard, but as a Florida resident and spending most of my time in Florida, I also have a Florida registration.

If you have a Florida registration, but keep your boat in another state, then you will subject to being required to pay for registration in that state.

If you have an old outdated Florida registration decal on your vessel this would not be recognized by Florida, or another state, to be currently registered.

By the way, there is no activity of the USCG documentation system that would require that the documentation offices be near the water.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:46   #3

I have a 30+ year old documented boat and it is registered in FL as an "antique vessel". Cost of regis is $6.00/year. You need to meet certain requirements-must have original engine or one similar. State of Fl web site lists the form needed under registration of vehicles, I believe. Its the only cheap thing associated with boating.
Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:48   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have never heard of a requirement that antique vessels must be Florida titled rather than federally documented to qualify for antique status. Florida Statute 328.72 section 2 does not list this as a requirement. I think you got an employee that did not know the law as well as they should.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It is said that banks prefer USCG doc if making a loan.

I have cruised to over 20 countries with state registry and even sold and imported a boat into Australia w/o even presenting the actual title until I mailed it over when I returned home.

There's no practical reason to have USCG especially if you qualify for antique registration. I do not qualify so USCG is cheaper for me.

AS an FYI, right or wrongly; The FWC commander for NE Florida has told me if you take your boat more than 3 miles offshore every 90 days you do not have to be FL registered. Have it in an email somewhere.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
....................... The FWC commander for NE Florida has told me if you take your boat more than 3 miles offshore every 90 days you do not have to be FL registered. Have it in an email somewhere.
Of course this does not mean you don't require registration at all!

This means that you can keep a vessel registered in another state as long as you periodically remove it from Florida.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:43   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Got to florida and registered and questioned why the charge is so much because i understood if boat is over 25 years the fee is only 6.00.

How much was "so much?"

I don't recall annual FL registration being a big deal, once past original purchase/sales tax issues.

-Chris
Old 06-11-2016, 04:58   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

You can let your USCG documentation expire for an indefinite period and then just renew it when you need it, although if it is expired for more than a year you'll have to pay the fee of a new documentation as opposed to a renewal. Once your boat has a doc number, that number stays with it indefinitely. When you renew you'll just renew that number.

Honestly, if the boat is paid for, until you leave US waters there is little value to being currently documented other than not having to put state registration numbers on your vessel.

And for Florida, are you citing the 6% use tax? I believe if you've owned the boat for 6 months or more and you move your residency to Florida that no use tax is owed at the time of arrival, until the boat has spent 90 consecutive days or 183 days out of the calendar year in the state.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:00   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
How much was "so much?"...
Florida Boat Registration Fees vary by the length of the vessel, as follows:

Class A-1 (vessels less than 12 ft and all motorized canoes): $10.25

Class A-2 (12 ft to 16 ft): $21

Class 1 (16 ft to 26 ft): $33.50

Class 2 (26 ft to 40 ft: $83

Class 3 (40 ft to 65 ft): $132.50

Class 4 (65 ft to 110 ft): $157.50

Class 5 (110 ft or longer): $194.50

Please note that some counties may tack on additional fees.

Florida Boat Registration Instructions | DMV.org

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:06   #10
Marine Service Provider

Plus county fee about 1/2 the counties charge which is roughly 50% additional
Old 06-11-2016, 05:36   #11

Boat: Formosa 41

New question but related to this thread:

I want to register our boat in FL. The boat is documented with the CG. Sales tax has NOT been paid yet. I requested an email and snail mail copy of my Bill of Sale from the CG and I received it and have it in hand. There is no mention of the price I paid for the boat on the BOS.

What do I do? Does anyone know how I can pay sales tax and get my boat registered?

(BTW, I was on the phone with the Dade County tax collector's office for over an hour last Winter and they said I needed a copy of my BOS from the CG to pay my tax.)
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

On smaller boats they generally just accept the amount you declare.

Are you a Florida resident? If not, I would investigate getting a title only from your home state and paying the tax there. You will not be charged tax again in FL with proof of equivalent tax paid.

In northern Michigan counties for example, they are happy to take your money and I have a local address. I have registered several boats up to 43' there and have never been questioned on my declared values.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:01   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have never heard of a requirement that antique vessels must be Florida titled rather than federally documented to qualify for antique status. Florida Statute 328.72 section 2 does not list this as a requirement. I think you got an employee that did not know the law as well as they should.
Don't lose that hat Bill... I think it's helping you hold all those smarts in...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:17   #14

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
On smaller boats they generally just accept the amount you declare.

Are you a Florida resident? If not, I would investigate getting a title only from your home state and paying the tax there. You will not be charged tax again in FL with proof of equivalent tax paid.

In northern Michigan counties for example, they are happy to take your money and I have a local address. I have registered several boats up to 43' there and have never been questioned on my declared values.
I am not a FL resident. The boat is kept in CT during the Summer. CT is a non-title state and I would prefer to pay the sales tax to FL.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:20   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Florida questions

This year my old girl turns 30.
It will cost more to renew the dinghy than my IP 38, but with both of them added together, I think it's less than $20.
Even if she was brand new, both of them added together is I think less than $100.
However wait until you buy car tags
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida