Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2014, 09:04   #46

Boat: Grand Banks 32
Re: Florida Consumer Protection Rules Help.

I had a similar problem years ago. There is a chance that the legal system might be able to help, without costing a bunch a $$. I found a local lawyer who specialized in marine issues and worked with him to write a letter to the vendor threatening a lawsuit, with lots of detail about why we would be successful. Paid the lawyer about $2K. The vendor agreed (with no additional lawyers involved) to a settlement that got me some of my money back--not all of it, but enough to let me walk away with some money and some pride left intact.
Good luck!
Oldersalt1944
ex Islander Freeport 36 "Getaway"
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:27   #47

Boat: Valiant 50

The final result... a Happy Ending of sorts.

My wife (the bull terrier) went in to see the the M.D. They agreed that the cost was indefensible and they then agreed to a fixed price and they then just threw lots of man hours into it to get it completed.

First, for the record, I must say that their workmanship was excellent - the end result looks great and the quality is good. So from that point of view, I am happy with the product. I would actualy recommend these guys - with the proviso that you get at least an estimate.

The cost was my complaint, because they billed me for hours worked - and some of the guys work real slow and others just booked down lots and lots of hours watching the resin gel. There was no supervision.

As I have stated earlier, the whole fault for this entire debacle was mine and mine alone - I have never resiled from this fact. .... so no need to kick my head in, in your replies.

I was just too trusting. Having spent most of my working life in 3rd world countries where fair play a handshake was all that was required, I dropped my guard.

Hey ho!. Lesson learned. I'll be an utter bastard next time.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's advice.I forget who it was in an early post who suggested getting another person who was not emotionally involved to go re-negotiate - but that worked fine. Thank You.

ps.. for the curious - I'm happy to let anyone know what I had done and the final cost - but only via a PM... I'm already famous enough, the whole dock knows about this debacle and are shocked (actually ROTFL-ing). I don't wish to make it even more public.
Old 25-02-2014, 09:34   #48

Boat: Various

Glad it worked sending her in. Rather common negotiating tactic if one is not succeeding send someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
The final result... a Happy Ending of sorts.

My wife (the bull terrier) went in to see the the M.D. They agreed that the cost was indefensible and they then agreed to a fixed price and they then just threw lots of man hours into it to get it completed.

First, for the record, I must say that their workmanship was excellent - the end result looks great and the quality is good. So from that point of view, I am happy with the product. I would actualy recommend these guys - with the proviso that you get at least an estimate.

The cost was my complaint, because they billed me for hours worked - and some of the guys work real slow and others just booked down lots and lots of hours watching the resin gel. There was no supervision.

As I have stated earlier, the whole fault for this entire debacle was mine and mine alone - I have never resiled from this fact. .... so no need to kick my head in, in your replies.

I was just too trusting. Having spent most of my working life in 3rd world countries where fair play a handshake was all that was required, I dropped my guard.

Hey ho!. Lesson learned. I'll be an utter bastard next time.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's advice.I forget who it was in an early post who suggested getting another person who was not emotionally involved to go re-negotiate - but that worked fine. Thank You.

ps.. for the curious - I'm happy to let anyone know what I had done and the final cost - but only via a PM... I'm already famous enough, the whole dock knows about this debacle and are shocked (actually ROTFL-ing). I don't wish to make it even more public.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, rot, rule