Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-02-2014, 13:19   #31

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Re: Florida Consumer Protection Rules Help.

I'm confused can you tell us the work being done and I'd it out if the water. with nothing written down and only a verbal agreement you have nothing. hopefully you have an exchange any money because the contract works both ways. you didn't pay before the work was done. do they have possession of your boat do they have to put your boat in the water. once you get lawyers involved all work will cease until the settlement which could take years and they can put a hold on your boat. if the work isn't satisfactory and you don't have a contract I would take my boat leave and then deal with the Better Business Bureau and start filing complaints on the company name. don't do anything without something written and never pay for it until it's done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 16-02-2014, 16:33   #32

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've never filed a mechanics lien, just know of their existence is all, I assume taking off without paying immediately pretty much makes you guilty and is something I don't think should be done
Guilty of "Theft of Services" and if parts of materials included could be more. Could easily be a felony although typically law enforcement tends to not like to handle and says it's a civil case, but mechanic can file the criminal complaint themselves.

Old 16-02-2014, 16:37   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Regretably I've spent a good part of the last year in poor health and am limited in what I can do. I do what I can within my physical and financial limits, but It's a 200 dollar cab ride (round trip) to the boat so often there is no savings to be had by doing it myself. I agree that work needs to be closely supervised, but is not always practical. Cruiser or predatory land shark..one can't often tell the difference until bitten.

$200 cab ride? your kidding aren't you, why not just rent a wreck or Enterprise for much cheaper?
Old 16-02-2014, 16:45   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Neelie....as a64 states, a hour with a "Maritime" attorney would be worth your time. Your first visit is normally free. In Southeast Fl you should be able to locate a "Maritime" attorney easily.

Good luck....always keepa Smilin...
If you're going to litigate you don't need a "maritime" attorney. Any bulldog attorney who knows a bit about consumer law will do. The deal really has nothing to do with boats other than the work supposedly agreed to was on a boat.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 16:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you're going to litigate you don't need a "maritime" attorney. Any bulldog attorney who knows a bit about consumer law will do. The deal really has nothing to do with boats other than the work supposedly agreed to was on a boat.
Actually most Maritime Attorney's wouldn't handle it if asked but refer to a contract law attorney. It's just basic contract law and very typical disagreement when contract isn't in writing.
Old 16-02-2014, 17:12   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How about this, get them to agree to some small change with the unit off the boat.(whatever the hell it is... be nice to know)
Tell them you are going out for the weekend ....................and never come back!
Is not picking up ordered items a felony? NOT!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 18:27   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How about this, get them to agree to some small change with the unit off the boat.(whatever the hell it is... be nice to know)
Tell them you are going out for the weekend ....................and never come back!
Is not picking up ordered items a felony? NOT!
That's the problem. We still have no idea what kind of work he's talking about.
Old 16-02-2014, 22:41   #38

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Virginia Boy, I feel for you - I have had similar experiences in the past.

On this occasion the numbers are pushing into $30K. Hence my angst and elevated blood pressures... At these numbers, I'm thinking a lawyer may start to be cost effective... I'm starting to think a segue into "Stand Your Ground" territory might be more efficacious, heh...but y'all are gentle souls from the UK, right? (and I'z jes funnin'...) But have no idea.

Stand-your-ground law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 17-02-2014, 06:07   #39

You said this is in the neighborhood of $30k worth of work. For that much, I think there is no doubt that it is worth buying an hour of two of a lawyers time to find out exactly what your rights are, and perhaps to write a threatening letter to the vendor.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Old 17-02-2014, 06:25   #40

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
$200 cab ride? your kidding aren't you, why not just rent a wreck or Enterprise for much cheaper?
I could tell you why not but then I'd have to kill you afterwards.
Old 17-02-2014, 06:59   #41

30K worth of work with no contract? I didn't realize that it was that much. You really should have a written contract. It's very difficult to believe that you don't. Did you sign some paperwork up front? I'm guessing you did.

There is certainly room for negotiation in this, but I'd start by either halting the work or ensuring that the work being done is being done to your satisfaction.

Yes, you do have a say, and with that kind of money on the line what you think is important. Look towards the outcome you want, and make sure you end up there. Don't be thinking the work is going to be free, though.

If they're doing a reasonable job, but you're thinking the amount you agreed to pay isn't fair, or that it's simply taking too long that's a different story. You should get thyself to an attorney, but that stuff you signed up front is legally binding.

If the work is simply being done on a handshake, you definitely should consult an attorney. You probably have a lot more room for negotiation in that case, at least to get to a reasonable rate.
Old 17-02-2014, 07:14   #42

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'
I've stopped contractors mid-job, paid them for the job to that point, then hired their competition to finish the job.

I've learned to try out new contractors on small jobs to evaluate their end product, how close the final bill is to the estimate, did they show up when they said they would, etc. I've been able to build a network of contractors I trust. They generally are not the cheapest out of the gate, but the job gets done, done right, and done within the timeframe given in the quote.

I've also learned to never haul at a yard that requires you to use contractors from the yard's approved list. That is a red flag for being ripped off.

Just sever the ties, kiss the money goodbye, and move on. Either finish or fix the existing work with someone else.

Later,
NJ
Old 17-02-2014, 08:01   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

only just seen this thread and sadly it seems typical of the boat bum industry operating in Florida . It seems that they will find a way to find all sorts of extra work you must have done to keep them employed forever whilst you just wait and wait and wait. We have had similar experiences but are just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I hope. There are some good guys but few and far between and word of mouth recommendation is essential. Florida has a severely depressed economy and far from being thankful to anyone providing work, they look to ripping as much money from you as they can and keep the job running as long as they can. We bought our current and last boat in Florida and if there ever is another it will be from outside Florida and better still outside of the USA altogether.

We actually had some good works done, the canvas maker was even under budget and finished early. The bottom paint was well done and on time too and the same people fitted our new davits neatly and as required The electronics guy did a good job eventually but vanished on a hunting trip for several weeks mid-install and found other 'essential' works to add to the jobs list and keep him in ammunition monies.

I hope all gets sorted for the OP but also that others are forewarned of these Florida practices.
Old 17-02-2014, 09:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
only just seen this thread and sadly it seems typical of the boat bum industry operating in Florida . It seems that they will find a way to find all sorts of extra work you must have done to keep them employed forever whilst you just wait and wait and wait. We have had similar experiences but are just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I hope. There are some good guys but few and far between and word of mouth recommendation is essential. Florida has a severely depressed economy and far from being thankful to anyone providing work, they look to ripping as much money from you as they can and keep the job running as long as they can. We bought our current and last boat in Florida and if there ever is another it will be from outside Florida and better still outside of the USA altogether.

We actually had some good works done, the canvas maker was even under budget and finished early. The bottom paint was well done and on time too and the same people fitted our new davits neatly and as required The electronics guy did a good job eventually but vanished on a hunting trip for several weeks mid-install and found other 'essential' works to add to the jobs list and keep him in ammunition monies.

I hope all gets sorted for the OP but also that others are forewarned of these Florida practices.
There are excellent boatyards and service providers in Florida. Like anywhere else there are also bad ones. But that's true of any area and Florida has more good and bad simply because it has more. You find some fly by night operator who doesn't even write a contract, and you'll end up nine times out of ten with trouble. You always go for what you think is the cheapest worker and you'll get representative work. You try to cut corners, the person you choose will cut more. Now I'm not saying all the problems are the fault of the customer by any means, just saying one needs to be very careful who they select anywhere. The person doesn't even have an established place of business, bad news. But there are again excellent boatyards in Florida that have provided good service for decades. Everything we've had done so far has been as quoted and on time.

I just don't like blanket statements that condemn all the providers in an area or state. There are good and bad everywhere.
Old 17-02-2014, 09:48   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

I'm sure there are good companies in Florida, and we have found a few, but sadly the rotten apple's mouldand maggots will inevitably spread and contaminate the good apples in the box. We are just ordinary folk, maybe too trusting, maybe naive but how are we to know which kind of apple we are biting into??

Tags
florida, rot, rule

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: