Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 16:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Florida Anchoring Survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AnchoringSurvey

I'm sure a link to this Survey has been posted before, but folks, it's real important that the cruising community step up and let our voices be heard. Because once the anchorages are gone.....they ain't coming back! So take a few moments and thoughtfully complete the survey.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 16:44   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Florida Anchoring Survey

Took the survey. Those who believe they can control behavior to any significant degree with laws will not particularly like my answers to the survey.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 16:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

True....but it could be smart to use a little "strategy" in answering the survey. We know what they want to do (limit anchoring) and we know what we want (the least restrictions possible). So you have to play their game a little in crafting your answers so they just don't toss them in the "crackpot waste bin".

Just sayin....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:00   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

Done. Keep the waterways open for the people.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:04   #5

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
True....but it could be smart to use a little "strategy" in answering the survey. We know what they want to do (limit anchoring) and we know what we want (the least restrictions possible). So you have to play their game a little in crafting your answers so they just don't toss them in the "crackpot waste bin".

Just sayin....
I wasn't crackpotty. I explained things nicely in the comments section. They just won't like my position because it's not their position.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 05:40   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

So the survey implies that they want a 150 set back restriction on anchoring at night next to residential/commercial property, if I followed it right. So a canal with property on both sides that is less than about 400 feet wide would be restricted. That knocks out a lot of the FLA water.
Old 24-11-2014, 06:25   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So the survey implies that they want a 150 set back restriction on anchoring at night next to residential/commercial property, if I followed it right. So a canal with property on both sides that is less than about 400 feet wide would be restricted. That knocks out a lot of the FLA water.
Isn't it illegal to anchor in a channel?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 06:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Isn't it illegal to anchor in a channel?
Waterway does not equal a marked, designated channel. A narrow bay off the side of a main channel with houses around it that was 300 feet wide would be excluded.
Old 24-11-2014, 06:50   #9

Boat: Crealock 37

Survey completed...thanks.
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 06:57   #10

Quote:
Waterway does not equal a marked, designated channel. A narrow bay off the side of a main channel with houses around it that was 300 feet wide would be excluded.
But the waterways are governed by USCG. Hence, you cannot impede navigation.
Old 24-11-2014, 07:01   #11

I took it. The annoying part were the questions that gave you a multiple choice among several bad answers, with no real opportunity to vote your real opinion.

As I posted on the other thread, I was in law enforcement for many years, some of them in south Florida. If the people who end up making the decisions about this legislation, ever actually look at this survey, or accept input from anyone who did, I will be highly surprised. We were never consulted on laws that they wanted us to enforce. Because, that's not how these kinds of laws are made. They are usually custom made for the people who ordered them up and paid for them in the form of campaign contributions. Those people are almost never law enforcement.

But, I did fill it out, under the "It can't make it any worse." theory.

But, me remembering the day that the mayor of one of these towns wanting to put in mooring fields in Florida, came to us and demanded to know why we were arresting a known LCN mafia member who owned a club in his town, for murder (his second that we knew of), because he was a friend of his and a good guy, doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. At the time, after he left, we were all of the same opinion: Namely, how deep did the LCN have their hooks in this guy, that he would come to a federal agency and say something like that? He is still the mayor.

I won't say the name of the town, other than it ends in Beach, and is one of the reasons I transferred out of Florida the first chance I got.
Old 24-11-2014, 07:50   #12

Quote:
But the waterways are governed by USCG. Hence, you cannot impede navigation.
And how is anchoring within a 300 ft semicircle that juts off the side of a channel impeding navigation?
Old 24-11-2014, 08:14   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It is important to recognize that 150 ft, is closer to 400 ft actually. Think 50 ft of rode.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:43   #14

Quote:
And how is anchoring within a 300 ft semicircle that juts off the side of a channel impeding navigation?
It's up to the USCG to determine what constitutes a 'narrow channel' and what is a bay.

I personally would not anchor in a 300' bay, assuming 60' of rode (12' depth) & 45' of vessel. If you can get the anchor to stick directly in the middle, you now have 45' behind your boat. Not much room for anchor drag.

On a waterway lined with private property, the USCG allows up to 25% of the waterway on each side for building private docks, leaving 50% for navigation.
Old 24-11-2014, 13:52   #15

Quote:
It's up to the USCG to determine what constitutes a 'narrow channel' and what is a bay.

I personally would not anchor in a 300' bay, assuming 60' of rode (12' depth) & 45' of vessel. If you can get the anchor to stick directly in the middle, you now have 45' behind your boat. Not much room for anchor drag.

On a waterway lined with private property, the USCG allows up to 25% of the waterway on each side for building private docks, leaving 50% for navigation.
Have you traveled along the ICW east coast? There are lots of places that are small and just off the channels that people do anchor in. The point is that Fla is wanting to restrict the Anchorage's based on residencial or commercial buildings being adjacent. It has nothing to do with USCG channel rules.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, survey