Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 11:34   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16
Re: Flags in Carribean area

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

(I should also mention, that our Antigua flag looked a bit too much like Lisa Simpson's head...but who looking that closely anyway?)

I was crew and navigator, so I took on this responsibility. The owner keeps those home made flags to this day as a treasured momento of the trip.
I had a problem to buy a Cyprus flag in Italy so as mentioned above I did it by my self but after few weeks it looked like French flag

I am gonna move to Carribean in 3 months so I will prepare corectly
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:31   #17

Boat: PDQ 44i

We buy the good courtesy flags from Landfall Navigation and they last for many years.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 13:49   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
TECHNICALLY you have to fly the flag along with the yellow Q flag "ON ARRIVAL". so technically buying them AFTER arrival don't cut it.
Got a reference to that? Because I don't think there is any such laws. The USA doesn't have such a law, nor does Australia...plus in practice most smaller countries would be delighted if you but a flag in their country than buying it elsewhere

My $2 flags last about 3 months.

Also, you could use your color printer and print a temporary one

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:04   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=MarkJ;1879744]Got a reference to that? Because I don't think there is any such laws. The USA doesn't have such a law, nor does Australia...plus in practice most smaller countries would be delighted if you but a flag in their country than buying it elsewhere

We were reprimanded once in Nicaragua and frowned at some other place down there, for not having both the Q and the courtesy flag up.
I was under the impression that as soon as you are in territorial waters you need to have the flags up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:40   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Got a reference to that? Because I don't think there is any such laws. The USA doesn't have such a law, nor does Australia...plus in practice most smaller countries would be delighted if you but a flag in their country than buying it elsewhere

Also, you could use your color printer and print a temporary one
It sounds right to me...yellow Q Quarantine flag until you pass through customs. Then you replace it with the courtesy flag, once you are "in". However, I don't think I've seen anyone do this besides me...when I was younger. The whole customs thing is often quite relaxed, especially when you have to walk through town to get to the customs house.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 16:47   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[QUOTE=Guy;1879758]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

We were reprimanded once in Nicaragua and frowned at some other place down there, for not having both the Q and the courtesy flag up.
I was under the impression that as soon as you are in territorial waters you need to have the flags up.
Normally Q flag indicates that the vessel has not cleared in yet, Q is usually replaced by host country flag after clearing in. Local customs may vary of course, but this is pretty consistent.

Weve got a collection of shredded host country flags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438299998685.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	106378  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Normally Q flag indicates that the vessel has not cleared in yet, Q is usually replaced by host country flag after clearing in. Local customs may vary of course, but this is pretty consistent.
I wish I had our cruising guides in front of me because I read what we should do somewhere. Cornell or Rauscher maybe? I guess they could be wrong too.
Old 30-07-2015, 18:06   #23

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Not trying to hijack, but does anyone make flags out of sunbrella or similar?any flags I'm finding local wear out rather quickly. And we don't have near the uv levels that the Caribbean does
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 19:23   #24

Never run across sunbrella flags. Would be rather spendy. Quality certainly varies a lot, even among flags in the same price range. I usually just buy 2 of each.
Old 30-07-2015, 19:35   #25

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

ChAllenge to Russ. From all the entrance regs I have read and am familiar with you are not permitted to fly a courtesy flag until you've cleared customs. Unti you have cleared you are required to fly a Q (yellow) flag on your starboard flag halyard and your national ensign as usual. There should be no other flags (cocktail, party, pirate) flown while quarentined prior to clearing customs.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 19:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Not trying to hijack, but does anyone make flags out of sunbrella or similar?any flags I'm finding local wear out rather quickly. And we don't have near the uv levels that the Caribbean does
I'm completely with you. Maybe screen printed flags on some heavy duty fabric. The sewn up US flag is terrible with raveling.
Old 30-07-2015, 20:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfesmy View Post
... There should be no other flags (cocktail, party, pirate) flown while quarentined prior to clearing customs.
Except from port spreader which is where they should be flown anyway. I've never gotten grief for having a just-for-fun (is there an official name for these?) flag on port when clearing.
Old 30-07-2015, 20:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
It's a sign of respect, and I think a nice tradition. Just be sure to fly Puerto Rico's flag right side up!
I've seen a lot of upside down [dis]courtesy flags. If they have stars the tip of the stars should point up is one clue.
Old 30-07-2015, 20:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJennie View Post
You might consider obtaining inexpensive flags from Quality Retail and Wholesale Flags $2.00 3x5 FT | FlagsImporter.com
Have you bought courtesy sized flags from them?

I found some 12" x18" flags, about the right size, but they are the cheap on a stick style flags. Could be adapted easily enough though.

Tags
flags, rib