Old 13-08-2014, 17:44   #286
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters
Re: Flag Etiquette Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I hope your not a UK , it's territories or a Canadian or Aussie vessel. Splice the mainbrace is restricted to the Queen, the a royal family or very senior figures. It would be highly impertinent for you to issue a royal commas ,!!!
Very true Dave, but we like to think we squeak through the "very senior figures" class on the basis that those flags are only raised on our Admiral's orders!

Old 13-08-2014, 17:56   #287
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Remember you are speaking to an Aussie here. It is clearly a bottle for Aussies to avoid like the plague if that is the case .

Thanks for the explanation.

To my way if thinking, if a Red Duster is being used as a courtesy flag then I would have thought UK guests were already being honoured (in the most prestigious spot on board after the stern that is reserved for the vessel's ensign) and nothing further would have been required.

Also, it does pose the question that if national flags and ensigns are not appropriate to honour guests, then what should be used for other countries when one of their citizens is a guest on board? Not all countries have a score of flags to choose between.

By the way, did you see the US Power Squadron's Flag Etiquette Committee suggests using the guest country's ensign on the port spreader? Denmark's Sailing Association recommends the national flag on the starboard spreader unless it is in use. It seems to be a new fashion to honour guests on board private vessels and each country is just making up whatever it feels like.

Hendersons, being of Scottish provenance should be more palatable to an Aussie tongue then london gins like Bombay sapphire.

As a prior BS drinker !! , I switched and I ain't going back.

As to honouring guests, I actually think, national flags and never ensigns . Just in the UKs case the Union flag is very specifically not a Sea flag. ( hence the civil jack option ) in all other cases the national flag is appropriate as the honour guest flag.

My example is not answered by your comment. A UK guest is aboard a foreign yacht, initially not in UK waters Clearly the UK maritime ensign would not be appropriate as a honour flag, since this is specifically a ensign. Hence the civil jack flown on the port spreader. ( or even the starboard spreader as per Danish style) then on entering UK waters, the uh maritime ensign is correctly hoisted to the tip of the starboard position, displacing any other flag. The civil jack could be flown below it, or more correctly moved or remain flying on the port side. ThAt meets all requirements.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 13-08-2014, 17:57   #288
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flag Etiquette Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
B52's or black russians are much smoother on the pallet.........

mind you i always transfer my vodka into mineral water bottels when going ashore in fuzzy wuzzie failed states

Aw, I never found that neccessary in Birmingham

Dave

Old 13-08-2014, 18:12   #289
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Aw, I never found that neccessary in Birmingham

Dave

that is wrong on so many levels dave....i belive robertsons golly comes from B'mingum.........how do you do a black smiley face...can't seem to find an ape...i mean app
Old 13-08-2014, 18:38   #290
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Since the sun is well over the yard-arm, its Gin time

I have recently been converted to the charms of Henderson Gin and Cucumber - absolutely fab. For historical reasons I support the quaint notion that Irish whiskey is best, but by God ,the Scots make a fine Gin.!!!!

dave
Quote:
I suggest you acquire a bottle of Hendersons . Then slice a fresh diagonal slice of cucumber, add ice and tonic to suit the smell of the fresh cucumber is define as one brings the glass to ones lips. One can imagine England triumphant at Lords with that smell ( even if its a scots gin ho ho ) ...........
Quote:
Hendersons, being of Scottish provenance should be more palatable to an Aussie tongue then london gins like Bombay sapphire.

As a prior BS drinker !! , I switched and I ain't going back.

Back to the important stuff, stow your flags and belay those halyards...

OK Dave, are you a creating new myth here on CF (perhaps even intentionally )????

I also am a BS drinker (in the gin sense of the acronym) and I have dabbled with Hendricks - very nice I must add - but what is the Henderson's stuff you speak of.

Wars have been fought over less matters so I challenge you to a Henderson / Hendrick duel; my second will call you second.

SWL, I now apologise for your knuckles; would you please consent to be my second should Dave be gentleman enough to accept the challenge...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 18:50   #291
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

OK Dave, are you a creating new myth here on CF (perhaps even intentionally )????

I also am a BS drinker (in the gin sense of the acronym) and I have dabbled with Hendricks - very nice I must add - but what is the Henderson's stuff you speak of.

Wars have been fought over less matters so I challenge you to a Henderson / Hendrick duel; my second will call you second.

SWL, I now apologise for your knuckles; would you please consent to be my second should Dave be gentleman enough to accept the challenge...

Apologies appologies , stupid ipad auto correction , of course it's Hendriks gin I meant , from Girvan. A modern gin produced from old restored stills.

Cripes , how did I miss those spellings.

No duel necessary , we are all on the same side

Dave

Old 13-08-2014, 18:51   #292
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

there is an old proverb

gin makes you grin..........

whiskey makes you friskey.........

brandy makes you randy...

wine makes you pine.....

beer makes you queer..........

but rum makes you ,,,,,,,,,

now who is drifting the thread
Old 13-08-2014, 19:01   #293

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I think most Aussie's would say never at heart. We are just too laid back to bother fussing with completely severing ties .

And the biggest stumbling block is that no one has come up with a better flag alternative yet. Is there anyone that doesn't shudder looking at some of the 'green and gold' options that have been put forward?
Why bother, we have our own queen, its just that she prefers to live in pommieland along with Greer, Pilger, Harris ( he is a guest of the Queen for the next 5 years or so...how cool is that), and others.
Flags...
One reason that a lot of the waffle re what oz flag to fly dates back to the early 1980s is that prior to 1981 there was no such thing as an 'Australian ship' .. they were all just 'British ships registered in Australia' and they didn't fly an Australian Red Ensign but a defaced british red ensign. That was the year ( give or take ) that Oz got its own register, there were then 'Australian' ships and they started flying the Australian Red Ensign ( same flag but there you go...its all in the detail).
That was when some rabid republican ship masters started flying the blue... the ANF... because any australian has the right to fly the ANF. Hence the ruling that ships were effectively not people but things and would fly what they were told to fly..and why private boat owners can exercise their right to fly the ANF.

That said I am presently flying an NZ blue ensign ( cos thats what I was given once)... I hope the pennant pedants don't come a knocking.

Major thread drift re gaining independence without a fight... that poor bugger on Blade was the last kiwi able to take something to the Privy Council before that was taken off the books in NZ... didn't do him any good. I don't reckon he did it meself....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 19:05   #294

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Apologies appologies , stupid ipad auto correction , of course it's Hendriks gin I meant , from Girvan. A modern gin produced from old restored stills.

Cripes , how did I miss those spellings.

No duel necessary , we are all on the same side

Dave

Roger that; stand down please SWL

The Gin Pennant will be hoisted immediately
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-08-2014, 19:09   #295
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flag Etiquette Question

Quote:
Roger that; stand down please SWL

The Gin Pennant will be hoisted immediately

I did read that in a recent taste test, by some sort of gin experts. ( mothers of 6+ ???) the Hendriks came in third after a Aldi dry gin !!!!!

Dave

Old 13-08-2014, 19:37   #296

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Why bother, we have our own queen, its just that she prefers to live in pommieland along with Greer, Pilger, Harris ( he is a guest of the Queen for the next 5 years or so...how cool is that), and others.
Flags...
One reason that a lot of the waffle re what oz flag to fly dates back to the early 1980s is that prior to 1981 there was no such thing as an 'Australian ship' .. they were all just 'British ships registered in Australia' and they didn't fly an Australian Red Ensign but a defaced british red ensign. That was the year ( give or take ) that Oz got its own register, there were then 'Australian' ships and they started flying the Australian Red Ensign ( same flag but there you go...its all in the detail).
That was when some rabid republican ship masters started flying the blue... the ANF... because any australian has the right to fly the ANF. Hence the ruling that ships were effectively not people but things and would fly what they were told to fly..and why private boat owners can exercise their right to fly the ANF.

That said I am presently flying an NZ blue ensign ( cos thats what I was given once)... I hope the pennant pedants don't come a knocking.

Major thread drift re gaining independence without a fight... that poor bugger on Blade was the last kiwi able to take something to the Privy Council before that was taken off the books in NZ... didn't do him any good. I don't reckon he did it meself....
Thanks for the historical perspective EP. This leaves me in somewhat of a quandary. I have always flown the Oz Red Ensign 'cause it seemed better than doing what the landlubbers do but I can also identify with the rabid ship masters so perhaps I should be flying the ANF.

When in such doubt, I resort to seeking advice and raise the question - WWSWLD. For the less educated, that is "What Would Sea Worthy Lass Do".

On very important matters, perhaps a perspective from Atoll or Boatie might also be encouraged (or even a Hendrick imbiber - but no mothers of 6+ please).
Old 13-08-2014, 19:45   #297
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On very important matters, perhaps a perspective from Atoll or Boatie might also be encouraged (or even a Hendrick imbiber - but no mothers of 6+ please).

these days i rely on my kids(who know everything) for advice.......my 19 year old daughter(who was born in australia) says you should be flying the aboriginal flag since it superseeds all the other uk and aussie flags...........
Old 13-08-2014, 21:25   #298

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
my 19 year old daughter(who was born in australia) says you should be flying the aboriginal flag since it superseeds all the other uk and aussie flags...........
Now that really is bunting...and only appeared maybe 30 years ago.

Back to honered guests... what if a Nepalese Admiral turns up at your 'drinks party' ( thats what the poms call a pissup )... what do you do then? Get your missus to knit one? You wont find one of them down the local chandlers....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 21:45   #299

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

these days i rely on my kids(who know everything) for advice.......my 19 year old daughter(who was born in australia) says you should be flying the aboriginal flag since it superseeds all the other uk and aussie flags...........
Tell her that while that bunting is not flown on Blue Moon II, I always include a "welcome to country and an acknowledgement of the First Australians whose canoes have crossed my wake" speech anytime I have new guests on board. She will however, need all of her youthful hearing to hear my words over and above the din of a zephyr playing in the rigging
Old 13-08-2014, 22:35   #300
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: Over the years, I have had as guests on board two admirals (one Aussie, one USN (and a three star at that)), and an Kiwi Captain and Naval Attache to Oz.

None of them seemed to give a **** about flags on a yacht. All they wanted was to drive the boat and to have a cold drink in their hands. I'm sure that on their own vessels things were different, but on a pleasure craft flag etiquette was not a high priority to them... or to me, beyond the basic ensign and courtesy flag when in foreign waters.

Now, a technical question: How do you "dip" your ensign for a warship when the bloody thing is either sewn to the leech of the mainsail or flying from a staff (sans halyards) at the stern? I've occasionally been tempted to do this act of respect, but couldn't work out how... and have wondered how anyone on the massive warship could possibly see my action if I did do it?

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: