Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 17:38   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Fishing in Palau

Anyone in Palau at the moment doing any fishing?What is required as far as license and equitment?...upon arrivel do you have to go to Korror or can you go to other outlying islands to check in with customs?..thanks DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Fishing in Palau

i think member daddle is about the only person there on cf at present,and a bit lonely as very few yachts visit............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:27   #3

Yeah, we fish in Palau. Yes, with a license for each person actually fishing. The fishing is excellent: Spanish Mackerel, Mahi-mahi, Wahoo, bottom fish, reef fish. US$20 per month for non-residents.

And, yes, we are presently short on yachties here that know how to hang out at the YC drinking and carrying-on. But, hey, we're getting by. 'Everybody' is or has left for the PI.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:41   #4

You MUST check-in at the Commercial Wharf, Malakal Harbor, Koror, before visiting any other anchorage, port, or outlying island in Palau. To do otherwise imperils our welcome here. The rules have been badly abused by cruisers resulting in skepticism on the part of officials as to our presence here. See the CruisersWiki.

That said, the remotest SW island of Helen Reef welcomes visitors from wherever. Especially so if they bring Betel-nut. There may be a problem if the federal patrol boat happens by while one is there (rare).

You can use any of the usual fishing equipment in Palau. Yachties usually troll lures. Squid are readily caught in the anchorages.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

I thought they had there own betal nut...have they eaten all the fruit bats?what is the going price for bats?have they done anything with the 25 chinese fisherman(spys)?Are they still on island?does anyone know what was on the boat that they sank?How did the dead fisherman die?Was there a gun battle?sorry for asking so many ?s but a friend of mine is wanting to go home (PI) and will be going to Palau on the way and has asked these ?s...thanks DVC
Old 19-04-2012, 18:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I thought they had there own betal nut...have they eaten all the fruit bats?what is the going price for bats?have they done anything with the 25 chinese fisherman(spys)?Are they still on island?does anyone know what was on the boat that they sank?How did the dead fisherman die?Was there a gun battle?sorry for asking so many ?s but a friend of mine is wanting to go home (PI) and will be going to Palau on the way and has asked these ?s...thanks DVC
Helen reef has two trees on its several acres of moving sand. Neither is a Betelnut. No bat there either. Plenty of betel and fruit bats on the larger islands. Don't know the price. Bats are delicacy here, and sometimes seen in the market. Boil quickly, whole, and slurp it down. Locals plink them out of the trees with pellet guns. They only eat fruit, apparently.

I don't know what has happened with the Chinese fishermen. They most likely were poaching shark fins. The police did fire on a boat. And an airplane was lost with pilot and two police aboard. You can Google the details.
Old 19-04-2012, 19:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Helen reef has two trees on its several acres of moving sand. Neither is a Betelnut. No bat there either. Plenty of betel and fruit bats on the larger islands. Don't know the price. Bats are delicacy here, and sometimes seen in the market. Boil quickly, whole, and slurp it down. Locals plink them out of the trees with pellet guns. They only eat fruit, apparently.

I don't know what has happened with the Chinese fishermen. They most likely were poaching shark fins. The police did fire on a boat. And an airplane was lost with pilot and two police aboard. You can Google the details.
Thank you..
Old 19-04-2012, 22:20   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Wow
Where is this Wild West show?

Do you have any other tall stories to tell about smugglers or a cave full of bones and lost gold dubloons and pieces of eight, a ship wrecked Galleon, mysterious foot prints in the sand, talking parrots, possibly a tame monkey or two, maybe a small island with a jungle waterfall,a stockade, a cave with a real live hermit answering to the name of Ben..........reason I ask is I should love to write a childrens book for kids of all ages and need some material to get the creative juices flowing.

Did you know, ....insomnia is an awful affliction, I just cant sleep at night for thinking about it.
Old 19-04-2012, 22:32   #9

Boat: Able 50

Lots of islands have markets where there are bats for sale. They taste like rabbit.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Wow
Where is this Wild West show?

Do you have any other tall stories to tell about smugglers or a cave full of bones and lost gold dubloons and pieces of eight, a ship wrecked Galleon, mysterious foot prints in the sand, talking parrots, possibly a tame monkey or two, maybe a small island with a jungle waterfall,a stockade, a cave with a real live hermit answering to the name of Ben..........reason I ask is I should love to write a childrens book for kids of all ages and need some material to get the creative juices flowing.

Did you know, ....insomnia is an awful affliction, I just cant sleep at night for thinking about it.
The hermit that lived in the cave was not namend Ben rather it was Shoichi Yokoi . He did not know that WWII had ended and lived in a cave from 1944-1973 when he was caught by two Chamorros on the island of Guam...true stories are always the best ones like the Spanish Galleon loaded with gold and siver and valuable treasure headed for Spain that crashed upon the reef south of CoCos Island the one I know about was the Pillar and It lies south of the village of Umatic also in Guam not far from Palau in the Micronisean Fedaration DVC
Old 20-04-2012, 20:59   #11

There are caves full of bones here. And live ordinance. And wrecks of ships and aircraft. There are also dark eyed sirens. Wild taverns. Capt Wilson shipwrecked here and built a new one. Palau. Western Caroline's. About 7N 133E. 500 miles E of the PI. SW of Guam. Paradise.
Old 21-04-2012, 00:43   #12

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Quote:
Capt Wilson shipwrecked here.

Is that the same Wilson who Tom Hanks befriended and then carelessly lost overboard during his escape from the island?

Did Wilson swim back to shore and make his own raft and promote himself to Capt?

Ive seen Palau on TV. It looks the perfect place to hole up and live the Swiss Family Robinson life in a beach house made from canes and palms
Old 21-04-2012, 02:57   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Anjou you should read this

His Majesty O'keefe by Lawrence Klingman - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
There are caves full of bones here. And live ordinance. And wrecks of ships and aircraft. There are also dark eyed sirens. Wild taverns. Capt Wilson shipwrecked here and built a new one. Palau. Western Caroline's. About 7N 133E. 500 miles E of the PI. SW of Guam. Paradise.
I went into a cave on Siapan or Palau,cant remember which,but there were crates that containd giant snails that were used for food by the Japanese when things started looking bad for them.There were uniforms,mortors,live ammo,two man tanks,radios,rifles all the various and sundry elements of war in strata.Its like a WWII time capsual all thru the pacific islands..ok to look but dont touch....they(Palauans) are a handsome people when they dont eat bettlnut, the ones that do seem to always be spitting blood and the stain on there teeth makes me think of vampires and cannibles!Dont ever talk about cannibles to folks from the pacific islands,they get a little testy about that...do they still carve the story boards?they said it was a dying art form when I was there last...DVC

Tags
fishing, Palau