Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 10:27   #1

Boat: Valiant 50
Firt Lauderdale Arrival Procedure?

We are a Foreign Flagged yacht with no cruising permit yet, crew with B1/B2 visa.

What's the procedure when departing Bahamas and arriving into Fort Lauderdale?

Where exactly do they want us to first anchor or dock so that CBP can come on board and clear us in?

What number should we call to advise them of our precise ETA? When say, approximately 3 hours out.

Thanks.
Old 19-11-2014, 11:01   #2

Re: Firt Lauderdale Arrival Procedure?

I found these here:
http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/us-customs-ports.php#fl
“Below we have started a listing of the Ports of Entry, contact numbers, and special instructions for those ports that would normally pertain to a vessel entering into the United States.
While this list is believed to be accurate as of January 2011, the "Standard Caveats" apply: This is the U.S. Government!, during this period of government budget battles there are likely to be changes that are not posted in a timely manner, and there is always the 1 or 2 employees that just didn't get "The Memo." So be prepared for last minute changes.
If any errors or omissions are noted, please e-mail us at Support @ BlueSeas with any corrections or recommendations.”

Ft. Lauderdale
1800 Eller Drive
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
(954) 761-2000
0500-2359 (Eastern) (7) Days a week
Port Everglades
Notice of arrival should be made to: 1-800-432-1216 or 1-800-451-0393.

LBO
SVRS

Ft. Lauderdale
1050 Lee Wagner Blvd
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
(954) 356-7946
(7) Days a week (24) hours a day
Ft. Lauderdale General Aviation Facility
Notice of arrival should be made to: 1-800-432-1216 or 1-800-451-0393.

LBO
SVRS

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 11:18   #3

Thanks.
Any idea where we have to park the boat so that CBP can come and check us in? Do they have their own dock?

I guess, I can always call them as Im leaving Bimini and get that info
Old 19-11-2014, 11:45   #4

I think you just park at a marina and call them immediately. Non one but the skipper is allowed off the boat until they come or give you clearance. I've heard of people going to the airport for quick service. All this is old news though and for returning US citizens. Maybe someone will chime in here.

Old 19-11-2014, 11:53   #5

Naturally, much easier for US citizens. The only online official stuff I could find related to US flagged vessels with US crews.

Aliens have to be 110% certain that every T is crossed and ever I dotted and with the right colour pen!
Old 19-11-2014, 12:02   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Generally in South Florida you call a 800 number and report your details. They then give you a long, long number (that includes the date and time to the second) and then you and crew have 24 hours (to the second) to report to their office. Be sure to take the long number with you when you report. Forgot it once and had to dink back to the boat. If you need it I can dig up the 800 number.
Old 19-11-2014, 12:02   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

Rather than guess, I just called the Florida Small Vessel Call Center:

Quote:
The Florida Small Vessel Call Center (SVCC) can be reached at 1-800-432-1216 or 1-800-451-0393
Spoke with a very nice officer, told him it was a foreign flagged vessel with foreign nationals. He said "as soon as they tie up, and I mean the minute they tie up, have them give me a call at this number and report their arrival" (option 5 on the menu gets you to the person, you won't be LBO). To which I responded "does it matter where they tie up?". "No, any marina or dock with whom they can make arrangements and that CBP officers can access is fine". He said that it can take up to 24 hours to get a visit and that until the visit you are confined to the boat, but that in Ft. Lauderdale he wouldn't expect it to take more than a few hours.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 12:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Rather than guess, I just called the Florida Small Vessel Call Center:

Spoke with a very nice officer, told him it was a foreign flagged vessel with foreign nationals. He said "as soon as they tie up, and I mean the minute they tie up, have them give me a call at this number and report their arrival" (option 5 on the menu gets you to the person, you won't be LBO). To which I responded "does it matter where they tie up?". "No, any marina or dock with whom they can make arrangements and that CBP officers can access is fine". He said that it can take up to 24 hours to get a visit and that until the visit you are confined to the boat, but that in Ft. Lauderdale he wouldn't expect it to take more than a few hours.
Call again and see if you get the same reply from another officer. I am not being facetious. Many times the call center does not know where you are in South Florida when you tell them.
Old 19-11-2014, 13:04   #9

Thanks for the advice, that was what I was looking for. All questions answered.

I've just picked my jaw up off the floor. Amazing that you can tie up anywhere and have 24 hours to check in.
Old 19-11-2014, 13:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post

I've just picked my jaw up off the floor. Amazing that you can tie up anywhere and have 24 hours to check in.
Hey Neelie,

Just remembered last time we saw you was at Harbour Club in Nassau last season. Hope the cats are doing ok.

(Rick & Doreen on Breathless)
Old 19-11-2014, 13:29   #11

Hi Rick and Doreen!

Yes, all good, cats happy..we are in Bonaire at the moment and will work north as the weather windows allow.
ETA FLL early January.
Cheers
Old 19-11-2014, 13:47   #12
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Generally in South Florida you call a 800 number and report your details. They then give you a long, long number (that includes the date and time to the second) and then you and crew have 24 hours (to the second) to report to their office. Be sure to take the long number with you when you report. Forgot it once and had to dink back to the boat. If you need it I can dig up the 800 number.
I'm looking at the CBP publication 0000-0640. The 1-800 numbers on Cheechaco's post are valid. Neelie, the 24 hour clock starts when you call in on that 800 number and get a clearance # (note the time). I am unclear if you need to call before you actually tie up somewhere?

Like Vasco, I've had to do some shuffling when checking in. This form is confusing (to me), or misleading....it says-

Reporting Procedures-The master or designee may go to a designated reporting location during operational hours. If a boater goes to a designated reporting location,CBP will be able to provide a clearance number and conduct a face-to-face interview. If a boater phones in their arrival, they will still need to report to the nearest Port of Entry to complete their face-to-face interview.

and...

Where to report-Masters, crew and passengers must report their arrivals immediately upon entering the United States by going to a designated reporting location or calling the 1-800 number.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to me, I have a choice of phoning in, or just tying up and go check in.
well, don't skip making that 1800 call first, cause they ain't going to check you in without it! After all was done, the dude tells me that I can avoid all this hassle by doing the LBO thing. I already knew that, but it's a trip to CBP one way or the other, so what's the difference?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For neelie- Phone in arrivals:

1-800-432-1216,1-800-451-0393
Upon completion of phoning in arrival, boaters will be directed to the nearest Port of Entry to present themselves and any passengers for a face-to-face interview within 24 hours.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post

You don't have 24 hours.. THEY do. They want you to call immediately...
and YES, be sure to get a number. I returned to the us (ft pierce) once and called, they didn't give me a number. I got a nasty letter from the State Dept about 2 years later.

Old 19-11-2014, 14:08   #14

To further confuse anyone still reading this thread the calling in and reporting within 24 hours only applies to south Florida, once you get north of Sebastian Inlet it doesn't seem to apply. If you check in at Port Canaveral, they don't worry about calling the 800 number first and they don't even want the 20 odd digit reporting number. Just walk down to the customs office and pay your clearing in fee (exact change please). No need for the customs decal. We always have an envelope of $1 bills to pay. It's less than $20.

And when you do call in, you cannot do it while the boat is still underway. You must be anchored or at a dock.
Old 20-11-2014, 20:05   #15

I know everything has probably changed, but between 1998 and 2008 I left and returned to the USA 5 times. I never checked out anytime and The 5 times I checked in, only once did I have to go to their office and be interviewed. They never checked my boat. They just gave me a number and said to write it down in case they stopped me somewhere. They always asked me if I had any passengers on the phone. The one time I had to go for an interview was when I had a crewman that rode back with me from Mexico. I had just let him go when we got in and I found out that I had to have him check in, in person. So I had to run him down in Key West and have him check in. I always had much more paperwork to do checking into other countries. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote