Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2012, 05:58   #16

Re: First hand accounts of legally cruising with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Er, their country, their rules. US consulate will tell you the same.
True, but the U.S. consulate will also help you to understand exactly what those rules are (helping with translations, for instance), and to get proper representation.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 06:31   #17

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
What is your plan if you do use the weapon, especially against a citizen of the host coutry, regardless of his intentions? Planning on dumping the body or dealing with the local authorities?
We have actually thought about this. I suspect that as an outsider with no local ties, I would be immediately found guilty even if I were defending my self/family. At the minimum getting involved in a police investigation where I shot a citizen of said country would result in a very unpleasant experience. Step A) dump the body. Step B) raise anchor immediately and sail away.

You do what you want, but if God forbid I ever had to shoot someone in self defense on my boat, I would not think twice about giving the *sshole a burial at sea and high-tailing it out of town.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 06:31   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Long time ago i be the captain of a large cutter called Angantyr, with the owner planing a circunavigation, well, the owner have onboard a complete arsenal of weapons, a 9mm, couple of shotguns, a automatic rifle, a 22mm small rifle, etc..
plus a couple of big boxes with ammo, all enclosed in a special locker with a strong lock, this isue bring me 2 days in jail in Cadiz Spain after a atlantic crossing , weapons and ammo are legal, meaning serial numbers , documents, and a complete list of all the ammo rounds, but for some reason the autorities dont believe me when i say is for personal protection, and with a good reason , who the hell need so many weapons.

Point is if you carry weapons , be sure to declare in arrival, sometimes i call customs in arrival and be scorted with the weapons and ammo to customs ofice to start the embarrasing check in , many allow me to get the weapons back to the boat with a customs seal in the locker, others hold the weapons in customs until my departure ,
be aware that any ammo list you write for customs is ok, any round missing in the box and the list showing wrong and you get problems, same for the weapons , be sure any weapon is discharged, and better to have the firing pin removed .

Remember : Q flag, call to customs immediately, and get ready your list if you carry more than 1 weapon and have a good history for customs , self defense, im sailing around the world , pirates etc...

Dont snake any weapon to customs in the boat, can probably end with your ass in jail, have the weapon legal, ammo to, license to have arms , just a advice.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 06:46   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well, I haven't tried it but have talked to a number of people who have. Customs (and coast guards) generally don't like guns (except their own). Having said that a shotgun is probably the easiest to get away with. Good advice - strong gun locker. Accurate count of all ammo. Original invoice showing serial number. Gun license issued by your country of residence. Don't need a gun license where you live? Ge the local police to issue something official looking with lots of stamps and signatures.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) about a single-hander who kept a 45 under his pillow. Woke up one night (while sailing) to find two guys in his salon. Didn't hesitate - drew the 45 and blew both of them away. Dumped the bodies overboard for the sharks, pulled the plug on their boat and let it sink.

His reasoning? Nobody boards a another mans boat without knocking unless they have foul play in mind.

Bit of an extreme view - but what do you do if you wake up and find a could of strangers in you salon?
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 03:13   #20

Boat: Herman Boro Centre Cockpit 54Ft Eagle Spirit

Hi In Asia and Pacific I have found firearms are completely unnecessary and the officialdom really look down on weapons especially Singapore. If there are any issues stay calm try to talk your way out of it even play dumb helps. If you have a weapon you must be prepared to use it, so I prefer not to I have other weapons, Spray and a taiser gun which have never been used or even broken out of their locker. I also find the some north Americans have an issue with talking calmly and sorting things gently out, They seem to want confrontation and bulling to get their way, not good in the Asian culture where discussion some times loud but not heated sorts things out. Be fair and reasonable and remember they see us as very rich people first and want to bargain around. They also know that officialdom are not happy if there are serious incidents involving us as it goes up the ladder and out of regional authority and the local authorities are bound to be very hard on them unless we do something seriously wrong.
Guns not on in Asia
Rossmonty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 05:57   #21

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Here is a quote from a Maritime Security article on carring weapons on board:

"Consider this... a vessel with no firearms aboard, cruising in an area that prohibits firearms, is at risk only from the natural and criminal elements in the particular locale. Yet a vessel that has a firearm aboard in an area that prohibits firearms is at risk from natural, criminal, and law enforcement elements. Your effort to protect your vessel with a firearm has just INCREASED the level of risk to the vessel and crew significantly because you are now breaking the law. Prison terms, vessel seizure, and extreme fines are now added to the list of potential "dangers". You will have to decide which course of action to take and only you will know if it is worth the risk!"

The full article is here:
Guns On Board | MaritimeSecurity.com

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 09:50   #22

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Mossberg models 500 and 590 have a line launcher attachment available, fwiw. I can see where that might be handy if you need to throw a line to a disabled vessel so they can pull over the heavier tow line.

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/LineLauncher.pdf
Old 25-07-2012, 10:06   #23

Friends I cruised with had weapons.... including an AR15 etc. They just got tired of the hassle and gave them away. In the DR they kept the guns until they left... which was pretty inconvenient. I still remember seeing them get out of their dingy going ashore with an armful of weapons to take up to Customs... what a sight! Looked like a one man invasion.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising