Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 08:04   #76

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Re: First anchoring violation citation issued in St. Augustine

Thread drift? What was the ticket for?
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 15:21   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I just read the entire ordinance that was link posted on the first page of this thread. I don't see anything in it that should cause all this "talk". (It even specifically says you can anchor outside the mooring field.)

I think at least half the comments on this thread appear to be made up crap that people have used to fuel thier rants! Maybe you people should at least read the ordinance.

It's almost as if CF is turning into Faux News. Ironically all the people in power here in St Augustine are mostly tea party types. For sure a "not in my backyard" approach!
Old 16-05-2012, 15:54   #78

Boat: Mason 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, it is not. There is no law that says that.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, if you keep your boat in Florida for more than 90 days you must register it with the state. You must also display your state registration sticker, though you do NOT have to display registration numbers (as non-documented boats must).
I think that is true of every state on the East Coast, check your DMV laws and you will find that it is true for cars also.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 16:39   #79

Boat: Mason 43

Very interesting thread but the reality is that if any of us who have houses had a derelict car parked in front of it we would want it towed or removed. That doesn't make us anti car. I find St. Augustine to be a very friendly place with a great and reasonable marina. I am as resistant to regulation as anyone but the alternative would be anarchy. I don't know the answer but the passion makes for great reading.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 17:10   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Tax Cheats

Sadly the 90 day rule is most widely broken by those with the biggest boats. When's the last time you saw a FL sticker (or US flag) on any of the mega-yachts in Ft Lauderdale? It's also very easy claim your boat is "undergoing repairs" and in the "custody" of a marina or boatyard and legally extent the 90 days till whenever. If you buy the boat in FL, the rules are a bit tighter, but still poorly enforced.

(This really is the perfect reason a "fair" tax would never work as the rich would never pay tax on any large items they bought while the workers/serfs would pay 33% on every thing they had.)
Old 16-05-2012, 17:33   #81
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
Very interesting thread but the reality is that if any of us who have houses had a derelict car parked in front of it we would want it towed or removed. That doesn't make us anti car. I find St. Augustine to be a very friendly place with a great and reasonable marina. I am as resistant to regulation as anyone but the alternative would be anarchy. I don't know the answer but the passion makes for great reading.

I agree with you. We have some derelict boats in this area. One belonged to a fellow club member and for some reason he brought it to the club docks. The stench from all the bird poop was really, really bad.

I think boat ownership needs to be traceable. We have two aground near here. They've been left there for some time, and tax dollars will have to pay for their disposal if the owners can't be found. Why should that be?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 05:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think boat ownership needs to be traceable.
Theoretically it should be traceable via the HIN. Just like cars are traceable via the VIN. Of course, theory and reality don't always coincide.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring