Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-05-2012, 07:10   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: First anchoring violation citation issued in St. Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
By the way, it is not true that documented boats in Florida must also have state registration.
Can you expand on this?

It is my understanding that USCG documented vessels that reside in Florida state waters for more than 90 days must have a state registration. Foreign documented vessels with a CBP cruising license are exempt.

Is that not true?

Old 15-05-2012, 07:21   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
It is my understanding that USCG documented vessels that reside in Florida state waters for more than 90 days must have a state registration. Foreign documented vessels with a CBP cruising license are exempt.

Is that not true?
Yes, that is true. All the details are here: Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Old 15-05-2012, 07:32   #63
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

My mistake. I'll have to look at the club marina. It seemed to me that I did not see state stickers on documented boats but ... apparently I'm wrong.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:14   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

These are use stickers and not state registration. It is actually illegal to have a state registration on a documented vessel. Many States have these use stickers to show that you have paid the taxes and to collect some fees from documented vessels. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:40   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
It is actually illegal to have a state registration on a documented vessel.
No, it is not. There is no law that says that.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, if you keep your boat in Florida for more than 90 days you must register it with the state. You must also display your state registration sticker, though you do NOT have to display registration numbers (as non-documented boats must).
Old 15-05-2012, 09:42   #66
cruiser

Quote:
No, it is not. There is no law that says that.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, if you keep your boat in Florida for more than 90 days you must register it with the state. You must also display your state registration sticker, though you do NOT have to display registration numbers (as non-documented boats must).

Calm down, Don. That's already been settled. The posts don't always appear in the order they were made.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:45   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My mistake.
Wow! I am impressed, Rakuflames. I mean that sincerely. My experience is that at least 99% of the time, in this kind of internet discussion, when someone makes a mistake and it gets pointed out, they either ignore it or they start doing some ridiculous tap dance to explain why it really wasn't a mistake. Almost NEVER do you actually see someone just man-up and admit that they were wrong. Way to go.
Old 15-05-2012, 10:25   #68

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
These are use stickers and not state registration. It is actually illegal to have a state registration on a documented vessel. Many States have these use stickers to show that you have paid the taxes and to collect some fees from documented vessels. Chuck
I believe you are confusing the term 'registration' with 'title'.
Old 15-05-2012, 10:25   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Wow! I am impressed, Rakuflames. I mean that sincerely. My experience is that at least 99% of the time, in this kind of internet discussion, when someone makes a mistake and it gets pointed out, they either ignore it or they start doing some ridiculous tap dance to explain why it really wasn't a mistake. Almost NEVER do you actually see someone just man-up and admit that they were wrong. Way to go.

Well, this is fact. The law is what the law is. What bugs me is when people dig their heels in and insist they're RIGHT!!!!! -- when what they're defending is an opinion. Of course they have probably thought their opinion through, and it's a good opinion for them, but i intensely dislike the traist some people have of refusing to tolerate differing opinions. It's a pretty silly stance to take online, where one's opinions will be out there with the opinions of millions of other, equally thoughtful, people.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:48   #70
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Lawyers are salvating at this point me thinks."
Don't think so. The concepts of "sovereign immunity", negligence, gross negligence, and adhesion contracts (which is what a one-sided pre-written take-it-or-leave-it deal is called) are all old news. They may vary by state and circumstance, but this is all old news. A Florida lawyer should be able to tell you how it goes down there.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:55   #71
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"By the way, it is not true that documented boats in Florida must also have state registration."
Spot on, Raku. Florida requires state registration for any boat with a MOTOR on it, though, if the boat is in Florida waters over 90? days. They have a fairly unique and well-hidden provision that says you can dual register if you're already registered out of state and just overstaying your welcome in Florida. But if you've got a motor, they want your dollar. Registration, documentation, don't matter if you've got a motor and hang around too long.
Old 16-05-2012, 07:00   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Florida requires state registration for any boat with a MOTOR on it...
As well as any boat that is over 16ft. long, motor or not. It is all in the link that I provided above.
Old 16-05-2012, 07:09   #73
cruiser

Quote:
As well as any boat that is over 16ft. long, motor or not. It is all in the link that I provided above.

The link is useful, but chat is helpful also.

Someone criticized me harshly for registering my dinghy even though I had oars. But I also had an outboard, and I wanted to be free to put it on there.

Then one day my rudder broke, and we were able to use the dinghy with the motor to move it when it had to be moved. Didn't have to wait to go to the state office. It doesn't cost that much and it makes my dinghy a lot more useful.
Old 16-05-2012, 07:55   #74

Boat: Custom 30

The strategy in Boot Key is working well, and it's goal is to eliminate anchoring.

The harbor used to be full of anchored boats. They have filled 90% of the available anchoring area with moorings. It is no coincidence that the "designated anchorage" is an area a mile from the dinghy dock.

So, you pay $235/month dinghy dock fees and are forced to anchor a mile away, down by the old bridge.

I recently bought a boat anchored in boot key harbor. Provisioning it for a delivery voyage was a nightmare under these conditions, although I got a ton of practice with the new dinghy.

Looking at some of my pictures from the trip, there are still plenty of eyesore derelict boats, some sinking, many unlit at night, only difference is they are hooked to a City mooring ball, paying $300 a month.

There is only a $65/month difference in the price of the mooring ball and the dinghy fees, and you'll put most of that back in outboard gas, anchored so far out.

$300/month will get you a great slip in too many places to waste my money on a mooring in crowded boot key, much less exorbitant dinghy dock fees to use a remote anchorage.
Old 16-05-2012, 08:07   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
The strategy in Boot Key is working well, and it's goal is to eliminate anchoring.

The harbor used to be full of anchored boats. They have filled 90% of the available anchoring area with moorings. It is no coincidence that the "designated anchorage" is an area a mile from the dinghy dock.

So, you pay $235/month dinghy dock fees and are forced to anchor a mile away, down by the old bridge.

I recently bought a boat anchored in boot key harbor. Provisioning it for a delivery voyage was a nightmare under these conditions, although I got a ton of practice with the new dinghy.

Looking at some of my pictures from the trip, there are still plenty of eyesore derelict boats, some sinking, many unlit at night, only difference is they are hooked to a City mooring ball, paying $300 a month.

There is only a $65/month difference in the price of the mooring ball and the dinghy fees, and you'll put most of that back in outboard gas, anchored so far out.

$300/month will get you a great slip in too many places to waste my money on a mooring in crowded boot key, much less exorbitant dinghy dock fees to use a remote anchorage.
i pay less than that for a sheltered slip with steps at the end of the fingerdock (very helpful as I have a high freeboard), water, showers, laundry, pool ... of course it's not Key West. Hotels and motels cost more in the keys too. Everything is more expensive on an island.

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: