Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 14:18   #61
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
And do remember, "In strict conformance with United States Naval policy, I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of any nuclear weapons on board this vessel."
when do you say that, in jail, being lead to jail , or during the rectal exam
Old 30-08-2010, 14:56   #62

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
when do you say that, in jail, being lead to jail , or during the rectal exam
You say it after the picture but before they take you behind the yellow curtain and order you to "open your mouth, lift your tounge back, disrobe, raise your arms, spread your legs, lift your sack, bend over."

As for a secret compartment... How can something in plain sight be secret officer? Besides all of my guns are ok in the USA. It's other places. I am working on an idea for a safe you can toss overboard before approaching shore the come back an collect later.

The only gun I own that I see being a problem is my Glock. I need to find out how the Canadian government would react to me having it on my boat once I move onto the water. Right now I can carry it anywhere I want on my own land and walk around with it tucked in my waist band like a gangster in my house, (i dont but it feels good to know i could be stupid if i wanted to be) but I have to file a travel plan to take it from my families farm back to my house or from my house to the gun range.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:26   #63

Guns in Finland

Hello there, new on forum.

I live in Finland. Finland is, i think third on the list with guns/capita.
Still we have strict rules for getting license to buy fire arms.
After the 2 shooting in the schools they even made it harder to get a gun.
But in Finland hunting is a traditional hobby, almost in every family is one hunter.
In Finland you do not get license for a gun for personal protecting, you must have a hobby in shooting. You cannot carry the gun in town if not going hunting or similar, not just for fun.

No fully automatic weapons are aloud, only semi-automatic, example, a 7,62 semi auto, the exact same as used in military as automatic.

If importing a gun to Finland there is 3 ways:
1. From Sweden, Norway or Denmark, you are coming to hunt or to a competition and need to prove that, like with a invitation. Then you get to use own gun and bullets maximum for 3 months.

2. You can have a European Fire Arms -passport. Then you can import a gun for competition or hunting as in No. One.

3. A non eu-citizen must inform to local police if having guns aboard and can ask for a license, if hunting or taking part in a competition.
In other case the local police will hold the guns for the stay.

The reason that the gun rules also are so thigh is that in Finland we do not think guns as a protection.
I myself think that normal ppl. Do not need guns, there just is no reason.
If you have a gun you must be ready to shoot or you will die.
And if all of the ppl have guns, all criminals do to.

My opinion is that when i go cruising, I do not carry any guns, so much injures happen when guns are drawn. One day it is the bad guy that is quicker.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:26   #64
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I am working on an idea for a safe you can toss overboard before approaching shore the come back an collect later.
so not being happy with the jail term associated with having a firearm, you want to add gun running to the charges, my advice dont go cruising, or youll never walk around with that Glock again. ( Its a US thing right..)

Dave
Old 30-08-2010, 15:36   #65

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
While I possess several revolvers and long guns from small to medium caliber (some might call it an "arsenal"), my choice would be to not take any firearms to a foreign shore/port. I'll just be the defenseless, cowering victim. I would hope, however, that many people did take firearms with them, and if they are retired Special Forces types, that's all be the better so as to give reason for the criminals to believe I might be armed and dangerous.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:38   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

gbn-
Everything is in the timing. A Turkish security guard, Army for all I know, asked me if I was carrying any weapons before I boarded a flight out of Istanbul. I said none, except fo rthe tactical nuclear device in the heel of my left boot. He said "Go on board". Maybe he didn't like TWA, or maybe...timing is everything.

Come, sit, have a glass of annissette, be my guest and enjoy the hospitality of the boat while we examine the papers. (Wouldn't offer ouzo or anything "Greek" to a Turk, or vice versa.)

Thorin-
"I am working on an idea for a safe you can toss overboard before approaching shore the come back an collect later." More problems, that's something smugglers have often done, dropping drugs from a mothership with a smaller vessel later recovering them. And if lobstering, crabbing, requires a local license--the locals may very well call you in even if that's all they think it is. Suspicious behavior can still get you that free procto exam.

Korva-
"After the 2 shooting in the schools they even made it harder to get a gun." That ideology worked very well in Japan, too. The last two school massacres were performed with a sword and knife, as I recall over a dozen slaughtered in each incident. Law-abiding citizens don't need guns or knives, they can buy pre-sliced meats and use a spork to eat them. Amen.
The folks who pretend that guns are a problem--rather than psychopaths and stress in the citizenry--will only dig a deeper grave before pushing you into it. Ignoring the root causes of violence, and pretending the instruments are the problem, should be a capital crime in itself, because it guarantees more victims. As it has in Japan and the US alike.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:45   #67

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvasieni View Post
Hello there, new on forum.

The reason that the gun rules also are so thigh is that in Finland we do not think guns as a protection.
I myself think that normal ppl. Do not need guns, there just is no reason.
If you have a gun you must be ready to shoot or you will die.
And if all of the ppl have guns, all criminals do to.
In the United States, areas with the highest rate of gun ownership are the area of lowest crime. In the U.S., much of gun ownership is for self protection. Increasingly, individual states are allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed firearms although my state (California) probably never will.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:46   #68
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I'll just be the defenseless, cowering victim.
cowering, defenseless, !!! and a victim, yes there are all out to get you.
Old 30-08-2010, 17:25   #69

Boat: Bristol 34
GordMay,
I applaud your unbiased review of current weapos legislation by country.

I can only add that laws and regulations frequently change and if a cruiser decides of carrying a weapon aboard (and this may include mace, certain knives, etc.) they should get current information from the Consulate of the country the intend to visit - in writing - and leep it onboard.

The fact is, many cruisers choose to include a firearm in their boat's equipment (and this is not just an "American thing"). A firearm can be a tremendous asset or tremendous liability depending on the circumstances. Anyone who choses to arm their boat should consider the extra time and trouble having a gun onboard brings and weigh this against the potential benefits.

Ironically, the places with the least firearms regulations (i.e. Bahamas and Spain) are the places one would least likely need one.

Oh, and I must also applaud the civil discourse on this thread!! A nice change when this "touchy" subject arises.
Old 30-08-2010, 17:44   #70
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The fact is, many cruisers choose to include a firearm in their boat's equipment (and this is not just an "American thing").
no they dont and yes it is, try say creating a gun thread on ybw.com and see teh reaction.
Old 30-08-2010, 18:17   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post

Oh, and I must also applaud the civil discourse on this thread!! A nice change when this "touchy" subject arises.
I will add that as gun threads go you all are not doing too bad. However there were several posts I just cleaned up and sent PMs to the posters about.

Argue all you want about guns as relates to cruising but please do not take the topic personal.

If you find the topic too stressful to argue without going personal, go read another section of the forum.

If you find you cannot make your point without going personal please buy a thesaurus and expand your vocabulary.

Calling someone stupid or an idiot is not a very elegant or articulate argument and says a lot about the poster.
Old 30-08-2010, 19:46   #72

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
no they dont and yes it is, try say creating a gun thread on ybw.com and see teh reaction.
Sounds like a personal bias you have and not grounded in fact. I have found in my extensive travels throughout Africa, Latin America and Europe that infatuation with firearms is certainly not limited to Americans - and this includes a good many non-American sailors.

I currently know two seperate Aussie cruisers, a Canadian as well as a British couple "packing heat" aboard their boats.

Personally, I choose not to carry a firearm aboard my boat at this time. It's just something else to rust and have to maintain and the cost benefit ratio is weighted too far against the benefit where I sail.

However, if I ever choose to, it is my decision and I could care less if someone considers it "too American".
Old 30-08-2010, 20:20   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
Sounds like a personal bias you have and not grounded in fact. I have found in my extensive travels throughout Africa, Latin America and Europe that infatuation with firearms is certainly not limited to Americans - and this includes a good many non-American sailors.

I currently know two seperate Aussie cruisers, a Canadian as well as a British couple "packing heat" aboard their boats.

Personally, I choose not to carry a firearm aboard my boat at this time. It's just something else to rust and have to maintain and the cost benefit ratio is weighted too far against the benefit where I sail.

However, if I ever choose to, it is my decision and I could care less if someone considers it "too American".
I agree with your assessment.

I know of rental shooting ranges in tourist locations like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Denver, that are filled with European and Asian guests, who couldn't wait to get some range time with firearms that are prohibited to them in their own countries. The range in Las Vegas has fully auto weapons, too - but trying to actually rent one is problematic because of the number of Asians renting them (and good for them).

Possession of firearms (and frequently flaunting the laws) seem to be a common thing in central and S. America. In Panama and Costa Rica (where my family is from) everyone has them, and has the appropriate official authorizations.

Getting a firearm in most of Africa is a trivial task, I purchased several fully automatic weapons (an AKS and PKM belt-fed machine gun, including ammo) in about 20 minutes for less than $200 USD in Somalia. In Senegal it took a bit longer, but less money ($100 or so). A couple of countries in Africa I wasn't allowed to leave the embassy unless I was armed, wearing body armor, and in the company of armed US Marines because of the propensity of weapons in society. In parts of Africa the hunting ethos is still strong, and unfortunately so is the civil war or revolutionary ethos; guns are commonplace (at least for the local thugs in charge).

Firearms are also available in western Europe, albeit perhaps not always legally for all - but still, available for some legally (farmers, for example). Still, some countries (Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany) have active shooting or hunting cultures, and locally produced, excellent weapons (although I am more partial to US, or Austrian, than German or Italian handguns). I spent many hours at a civilian German shooting range when I was stationed there, annoying the Germans with my (to them) unnecessarily large handguns (I'd fire a Colt Government .45ACP, my backseater would should a Smith Model 29 "Dirty Harry" .44 Mag).
Old 30-08-2010, 20:41   #74

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In the United States, areas with the highest rate of gun ownership are the area of lowest crime.
Please see this study for a somewhat different conclusion.
Old 30-08-2010, 20:56   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Gordmay, I only made a sarcastic comment, before you made a typical US centric comment in your opening statement, Dave
Are you aware that Thunder Bay Ontario isn't in the US?

Just asking ...

Closed Thread