Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 05:58   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Or could be that those who have them onboard legally simply have more sense than to shout about it on the internet? (but I wouldn't bet on it )
I wouldnt bet on it either.

On a serious note and why its difficult to give advice. Let me first say my information pertains to European countries.

I talk to port officals earlier this year in France and the UK , re the situation regarding firearms aboard small non commercial vessels ( ie typical cruiser, 40 foot etc). The officials were aware of the sometimes existence of firearms on large vessels, ( both private and commercial, though most large yachts are commercially registers). These boats had agents, security protocols, purpose built lockers, trained crew etc. They usually never had a problem and fireasrms remained on board.

But in both cases, both officials said it was extremely rare to handle this issue with small boats, in one case the official had never done it. They expressed a lot of harsh opinions as to why anyine would sail with a firearm. Their main concern was the security of the firearm aboard a small vessel and also they were quite suspect as to the intentions of the person.

In addition both mentioned that this is an areas they are do not understand, as to whats exactly allowed or not. They both indicated that they regarded it as a police matter.

Hence in reality as to giving advice , its simply alomost impossible to do. One cruiser may have a certain experience and another a completely different one. What people ( especially North Americans) dont realise that in most "policed " socities, the presence of legal firearms simply does not impinge on the general public. Where I grew up the vast majority of people have never seen a real firearm up close or even touched one. Hence the deep suspicion , that outside a bit of duck shooting, why do you have one. Its important to realise that claiming "personal protection" is NOT accepted in the vast majority of countries as acceptable and leads to seizure of the firearm.

Hence giving advice really is a non-starter, the issue is too complex, too open to local interpretaton , too based on the situation the cruisers finds himself in. to be in any way authoritive.

Sorry , but thats the problem

Dave
Old 31-08-2010, 07:09   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
... Hence giving advice really is a non-starter, the issue is too complex, too open to local interpretaton , too based on the situation the cruisers finds himself in. to be in any way authoritive.
Sorry , but thats the problem
Dave
Absolute nonsense.

Section 6.12 of C2-25A (previously linked) provides absolutely reliable & authoritative information regarding the UK regulations.

Old 31-08-2010, 08:24   #93

If you bring firearms in to the UK then you are going to jail. Possession of a firearm is a "strict liability" offence and carries a mandatory 5 year jail term.

Read this Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun

and then this (which muddies the waters slightly thanks to the "clique-cops" angle) Gun find soldier walks free from court

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge. "The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."
Old 31-08-2010, 09:29   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What does anyone's opinion on the efficacy, wisdom, or morality of firearms possession have upon the national regulations affecting cruisers (excepting those who may be voting members of legislatures)?

Excerpted from: C2-25A: Firearms: Imports: Overall controls and policy, Section 6.12 Firearms on board vessels
"... The UK treatment of firearms held on board ships depends on whether they are a commercial vessel or pleasure craft, UK or foreign registered, whether the firearms are to be landed and the perceived threat such firearms represent in the circumstances they are held on board a ship.
Historically it has been maritime practice to keep firearms on board, although the use of firearms for personal protection or protection of a ship is strongly discouraged by the Department for Transport for UK registered vessels ..."

Goto ➥ http://google.ad.sgdoubleclick.net/p...2Band%2Bpolicy

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP.../downloadFile?

So, what about yachts that are US flagged? Commercial or pleasure?
Old 31-08-2010, 09:42   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
So, what about yachts that are US flagged? Commercial or pleasure?
US Flagged Yachts are foreign registered, and either commercial vessels or pleasure craft.
The advice under 6.12 will apply.

One day a pre-med' school professor was discussing a particularly complicated physics concept. A pre-med student rudely interrupted to ask "Why do we have to study this stuff?"

"To save lives," the professor responded and continued with the lecture.

A few minutes later the same student spoke up again. "So, how does physics save lives?" he persisted.

"It keeps the ignoramuses out of medical school," replied the professor.

Apparently, it’s not infallible.

Old 31-08-2010, 09:50   #96

Does the paint guns are permitted?
Old 31-08-2010, 10:00   #97

I really fail to understand what the problem is here. Once a US citizen leaves the US and enters the territorial sway of another country then his/her US constitutional rights no longer apply - 2nd amendment included. Such rights only exist within the US and its territories.

If a country does not want you bringing arms in to it then all this talk of "I'll hide it where they'll never find it" or "I'll just not declare it" or "They'll have to prise it from my cold, dead fingers" is just plain stupid. If you do not like the laws of a given country then do not go there. If you do go there and try to buck the system then do not be surprised if they apply their legal systems, consficate your property and lock you up.

The whole point of going to other countries is to experience the differences in those countries, but you have to be aware of the sensitivities in those countries. To "fight city hall" is not logical because there is only ever one outcome.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:38   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This thread is now closed.

It may be reopened, but not before the moderation team has a chance to remove all the off topic posts.
Closed Thread