Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 21:47   #16

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Few Years in Mexico, FMM or What?

Temperatures do look pretty good. Look at the rain values in September - has got to be very humid, right?

Weather averages for Barra de Navidad
Monthly averages °F
January Avg low: 70° Avg hi: 84° Avg precip: 0.59 in
February Avg low: 69° Avg hi: 85° Avg precip: 0.02 in
March Avg low: 68° Avg hi: 83° Avg precip: 0.02 in
April Avg low: 70° Avg hi: 84° Avg precip: 0 in
May Avg low: 73° Avg hi: 86° Avg precip: 0.06 in
June Avg low: 78° Avg hi: 89° Avg precip: 2.8 in
July Avg low: 78° Avg hi: 89° Avg precip: 3.93 in
August Avg low: 78° Avg hi: 90° Avg precip: 3.94 in
Sept Avg low: 77° Avg hi: 89° Avg precip: 6.11 in
October Avg low: 77° Avg hi: 89° Avg precip: 2.35 in
November Avg low: 74° Avg hi: 87° Avg precip: 0.58 in
December Avg low: 72° Avg hi: 86° Avg precip: 0.16 in
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 21:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingator View Post
Seriously ZeeHag, are you saying it is lush tropical there like Costs Rica, DR, or PR? I only know Mexico as a desert like southern Cali
Mexico has deserts, jungles, rivers, lakes, pine forests, and massive canyons.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 21:57   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingator View Post
Seriously ZeeHag, are you saying it is lush tropical there like Costs Rica, DR, or PR? I only know Mexico as a desert like southern Cali
truly and seriously GREEN and WET. is beeeeyooooteeefulll here.
we get over 75 inches rain annually and trees actually grow with leaves and fruit--mangoes, papayas, bananas, coconuts, many kinds, it is awesome . the annual temperature -- winter is 75F,min, and summer is 95F max.

where i am--

mexico mainland is only desert to mazatlan. starts to green up a tad there, banderas bay is greener--i watched that place jump into green and growing plants as summer progressed--
here is absolutely awesome green and with all kinds of fruit trees --yes is beautiful here.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 22:05   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

A little off topic (sorry). I'm getting ready to jump the border, the end of October...(no, not with the Ba ha ha). I'm not sure how to handle the money end of things. I'm thinking of bringing some US cash with me for emergencies, otherwise use my debit card at banks only to get Pesos. Does this sound rational?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 23:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
A little off topic (sorry). I'm getting ready to jump the border, the end of October...(no, not with the Ba ha ha). I'm not sure how to handle the money end of things. I'm thinking of bringing some US cash with me for emergencies, otherwise use my debit card at banks only to get Pesos. Does this sound rational?
I'd scrap the green backs. If you really need them you can find ATM's (cajero automaticos) that dispense US dollars in some of the more touristy places.

If you're clearing into Ensenada, just head right to an ATM and grab 3000 pesos (~220 bucks). In Turtle Bay there's no ATM, at least there wasn't last year, and you can buy fuel with a card.

In general I don't use my ATM/Visa card for anything down here except withdrawing pesos from a non-shady ATM. I don't think you need to go so far as only using the HSBC branch office machine, but until you get your bearings stick with HSBC/ScotiaBank/Bancomer/Banorte ATM's.

The real ATM's to avoid are like the ones in Cabo San Lucas right along the malecon that dispense USD. The fees are outrageous.
Old 14-09-2013, 04:23   #21

i use my atm to obtain money every month. for 3 years i have had no trouble or problem.
atms are almost everywhere.
no atms in cedros island village, none in colimilla and some other places, but most everywhere has them.
btw--some atms charge more than others....\
i have 30 usd for small emergencies--so far that has lasted 2 years.
debit cards cover rent in marinas, fuel, and some other items --depending on the store---the big stores--mega, soriana, comercial, all take debit cards.
local tiendas do not take debit cards but are more convenient.

humid--yes it is humid here---but my air conditioner takes care of that nicely--i have a 5000btu window unit i can install for summer and stow for sailing season.
monsoonal trough passes close to southwest mexico and helps keep it beautiful here with rain --most of which occurs in darkness, so far.
Old 14-09-2013, 06:56   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanx Zee and Rebel...Sounds easy. As far as heat and humidity, I lived in Hawaii for 7 years without any cooling aids other than cold drinks. Also imported out of South East Asia and occasionally the temps were over 100F with 90%+ humidity. There, I lived under fans and ducked into air-con restaurants once in awhile.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 07:15   #23

cs--you will love it here. it is gorgeous
Old 14-09-2013, 07:15   #24

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
humid--yes it is humid here---but my air conditioner takes care of that nicely--i have a 5000btu window unit i can install for summer and stow for sailing season.
monsoonal trough passes close to southwest mexico and helps keep it beautiful here with rain --most of which occurs in darkness, so far.
Zeehag, thanks for the great photos. Looks great. I have not really been South of San Blas on Pacific coast and Barra is looking nice.

So running air conditioning, you are in a marina? How expensive is that in summer?

Any knowledge of what insurance companies think about summering in Barra de Navidad?
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 07:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Zeehag, thanks for the great photos. Looks great. I have not really been South of San Blas on Pacific coast and Barra is looking nice.

So running air conditioning, you are in a marina? How expensive is that in summer?

Any knowledge of what insurance companies think about summering in Barra de Navidad?
i have liability only.
i dont know what the dictators of comprehensive dictate--i think is why so many gringos are in soc,, aka golf de california for the horrid summers they experience....
i have liability only and is mexican so i can cruise mexico and use mexican marinas.
the best cruising in mexico begins south of cabo corrientes.

this marina this summer was 25 cents per foot per month ---works out to under 400usd, with electricity taken into account under 500 usd. that is for under 50 ft. in winter it goes up to 68 cents per foot per day per month...ouchies. that is why it is called high season...prices are high because more tourists --tis the season in winter, november thru may
Old 14-09-2013, 07:37   #26

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sounds very nice.
Old 14-09-2013, 08:11   #27

Quote:
i have liability only.
i dont know what the dictators of comprehensive dictate--i think is why so many gringos are in soc,, aka golf de california for the horrid summers they experience....
You're sitting in a marina with an AC strapped to your boat and a tropical strom headed towards you; it's hardly good weather where are either.

The reason the Sea of Cortez is so popular is because it's beautiful, zilch swell, and there are amazing places to visit every few miles in most directions. Since we're sharing pictures, here are some from the Isla Partida and Puerto Escondido, basically the northern area of Baja Sur on the Sea of Cortez, north of Bahia de La Paz.

(Sunset, Puerto Escondido)

(Sunset, Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida)

(Charter boat anchored near us, Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida)

(Crossing the Sea of Cortez, Cabo San Lucas to Bahia de Banderas)

(8pm cabin temperatures, August, Marina de la Paz)

(Typical desert thunderheads, Puerto Escondido)

(My daughter, on the beach in Bahia de Los Muertos, eastern cape, Sea of Cortez. Our sailboat is out there on the horizon, center-left.)
Old 14-09-2013, 08:15   #28

And this one is from a video so it's a little blurry, but that's a dorado on the line (natural color cedar plug, penn vsx, calstar rod) with a massive pod of dolphins jumping around in the background. ~3 weeks ago, near San Evaristo, Sea of Cortez.

The fishing in the Sea of Cortez is amazing, in the summer anyway.

Old 14-09-2013, 08:39   #29

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:

truly and seriously GREEN and WET. is beeeeyooooteeefulll here.
we get over 75 inches rain annually and trees actually grow with leaves and fruit--mangoes, papayas, bananas, coconuts, many kinds, it is awesome . the annual temperature -- winter is 75F,min, and summer is 95F max.

where i am--

mexico mainland is only desert to mazatlan. starts to green up a tad there, banderas bay is greener--i watched that place jump into green and growing plants as summer progressed--
here is absolutely awesome green and with all kinds of fruit trees --yes is beautiful here.

Hey Zeehag...
I resemble that boat...
Is it an example of how beautiful it is down in Mexico, or is the crew the example???
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico