Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2005, 01:14   #1

federal documentation/state requirements??

After one has documented a vessell, is it necessary to do any state registration or pay license fees? You would think it is really clearcut but I don't seem to be able to find a straight answer. Say if the hailing port was in Florida, new owner has residence in texas, boat was formerly licensed in florida. If one were to be inspected by the coast guard or state officials would they be looking for money?Does anyone know 100% what the situation would be?
cadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 12:11   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Where do you keep the boat?

In most cases, the state where the boat is being used wants you to register it there. If the boat is in Florida waters, for example, for 90 days or more a year, Florida wants its $$ for state registration. I am not certain what other states require. The feds don't care, it is not their fight.

It doesn't matter where the owner is a resident. BUT, if you actually reside in Texas and that's where the boat is most of the time, I would suggest that you register it there.

Most states want to see some state registration, even if it is not theirs. Since state registration is generally easy and cheap, it doesn't make sense to fight it, even though the boat is federally documented.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 12:21   #3

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
check state by state

I believe you should check the rules of the state you will be keeping the boat in. Texas i understand doesn't reuqire state registration if it is CG Doc'd. Where Fl does and the want thier 6% plus local taxes, MD is 5% at the time of purchase of if you move in from another state.

Several of our Texas friends had trouble in FL while transiting to head to the Caribe. TX doesn't require the state reg if doc'd, but they were in FL and the they wanted a state registration, Fed doc doesn't cover it. So they ended up leaving early instead of spending a few months sight seeing. Otherwise they would hae registared in FL and paid 6% plus local even though they had no intent on staying for any period of time that could be called livbing and keeping a boat in the state.

Some boaters reqistar thier boat in states that have no taxes and then keep them in another state. In the MD and DC area there are people who dock walk and pump-out workers who will report the boats. This can causes fines and other inconvinces.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 12:23   #4

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
check state by state

I believe you should check the rules of the state you will be keeping the boat in. Texas i understand doesn't reuqire state registration if it is CG Doc'd. Where Fl does and the want thier 6% plus local taxes, MD is 5% at the time of purchase of if you move in from another state.

Several of our Texas friends had trouble in FL while transiting to head to the Caribe. TX doesn't require the state reg if doc'd, but they were in FL and the they wanted a state registration, Fed doc doesn't cover it. So they ended up leaving early instead of spending a few months sight seeing. Otherwise they would have to registar in FL and pay the 6% plus local even though they had no intent on staying for any period of time that could be called living and keeping a boat in the state.

Some boaters reqister thier boat in states that have no taxes and then keep them in another state. In the MD and DC area there are people who dock walk and pump-out workers who will report the boats. This can causes fines and other inconvinces.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation