Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 17:00   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
FCC Station Licensing

I need a little guidance on how to get a station license for my boat from the FCC. The process seems very complex to me, starting on how to even get a call sign, which is something the FCC is asking for. I completed the FCC registration process to get my personal FCC Registration number, but now what? The form I think I am supposed to complete, asks for a call sign, which I assume I am given, not one I make up (Maverick or Goose anyone?). I know to many of you may think this is a bonehead question, but I truly am lost.

Thanks.

JB
Old 23-09-2012, 17:32   #2

Re: FCC Station Licensing

Joe:

No it's not you. I just went through this getting a station license and the FCC website was kind of convoluted and confusing in trying to find an answer to a question on what form to fill out. Are you just trying to get a call sign or are you trying to get an International MMSI number for an AIS transponder as well?
Old 23-09-2012, 17:42   #3

Thanks for the reply. Right now, I just need a call sign but will probably get AIS hardware in a year or two so should I apply for that as well?
Old 23-09-2012, 17:50   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Joe -- you are not alone -- the feds make a simple process impossible -- i took one look at the paperwork and tore it up
then i contacted dockside radio and paid them to do it for me -- it was a small price to pay as one miss step and feds send you purgatory --
no we get nothing out of this just dockside did a great job for me

just my opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
ki4sry
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 18:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBink View Post
Thanks for the reply. Right now, I just need a call sign but will probably get AIS hardware in a year or two so should I apply for that as well?
Might as well get the FCC MMSI number now too. I think it would be a good idea since an ASI transponders has to be programmed with an FCC issued MMSI number. That number can also be used in any VHF DSC radios you may be using on board too. Here is the FCC info site I hope it can answer some of your questions:
FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

Just keep reminding yourself it's the Federal Government at work. I was eventually able to get to the right form and did everything online but, it was confusing at first.
Old 23-09-2012, 18:15   #6

the only thing you need for the ais is the mmsi number -- when i installed the ais we did not need anything new - but you can not get the ais without the mmsi number as the ais mfg - at least acr that made ours - required us to submit that before they would ship

just our thoughts and opinion
in trini for hurricane season
Old 23-09-2012, 18:18   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr
the only thing you need for the ais is the mmsi number -- when i installed the ais we did not need anything new - but you can not get the ais without the mmsi number as the ais mfg - at least acr that made ours - required us to submit that before they would ship

just our thoughts and opinion
in trini for hurricane season
Yes the US being the only country that will not allow you to program the mmsi into an AIS yourself. !! ( yet you can do it on a DSC VHF)
Old 23-09-2012, 18:35   #8

Thanks for the replies. I got an mmsi number through boatUS, does that mean I need another from the FCC in order to install AIS on my boat or am I just out of luck? I found and downloaded FCC form 605, which I will send in. I am registered online with the FCC, but can't find an online version of that form despite their clear preference towards online filing. I can't blame people who just say forget it!
Old 23-09-2012, 19:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBink View Post
Thanks for the replies. I got an mmsi number through boatUS, does that mean I need another from the FCC in order to install AIS on my boat or am I just out of luck? I found and downloaded FCC form 605, which I will send in. I am registered online with the FCC, but can't find an online version of that form despite their clear preference towards online filing. I can't blame people who just say forget it!
Joe:

The free MMSI you got from Boat U.S. is only for use in U.S. waters. You can not use it in an AIS transponder. If you plan on getting an AIS Transponder since it is a transmitter as well as a reciever the MMSI number has to be issued by the FCC. If you plan to cruise in international waters and to other countries including the Bahamas and Canada you should get the MMSI number from the FCC. It will assigned to your boat and that includes being able to be used in your DSC radios and AIS system. It will be recognized by international maritime authorities or at least that's what it is supposed to happen.
Old 23-09-2012, 19:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Here is a link to a previous thread on this.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...out-83304.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 16:41   #11

Thanks for the heads up on Dockside Chuckr, I filled out the paperwork on their site and will let them deal with it. It is worth the $90 for sure. Now how to get an FCC mmsi...
Old 24-09-2012, 16:56   #12

joe -- i thought that dockside did my mmsi for me too - but again i am getting old and the grey matter is seeping into my beard - so not sure how it got it

just my thoughts
in trinidad for hurricane season
Old 24-09-2012, 20:00   #13

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

when you apply for a ship station license be sure to check every box for every piece of equipment even if you dont have it yet. That way you dont have to refile later on if you add something.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 06:57   #14

I paid to have Dockside do it, they emailed me less than 24 hours after I sent them the info with my call sign, and mmsi number. Well worth the $95 to know it was done correctly. Thanks for the tip on them.
Old 05-10-2012, 18:43   #15

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

The FCC will give you the call sign and the mssi. If you already have an mssi, then you let the FCC know what it is. The registration cost $15 and it is pretty easy to fill in.
Leave the mssi blank and the call sign blank and apply for an "SA" code and you will get it.
In Schedule B, Type of license is "R" Class of ship is "PL" specific class is "VLR"
Provide you USCG reg number. And then specify that you will travel overseas and communicate with foreign coast stations.
On question 12 (sched B) tell them you will operate a DSC device and they will provide you an mssi. If you have an mssi, provide it on question 13. There is only one mssi! they are all issued by NOAA.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote