Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15   #16

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: FCC license VHF SSB radios: confused about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
So here's a question. We have a VHF on board but not an SSB as we are still debating SSB vs. Sat Phone. We've also yet to purchase our EPIRB. If I go ahead and get my licenses now, while I be able to update with add on equipment, add MMSI or will I have to go through the whole process again, with the exception of the operators license which I understand goes with the person, not the boat?

Check all the boxes that apply to you now or in the future...

The Ship Station License contains the Name the Vessel it is assigned to, the Ship Call Sign and the Ship's MMSI number... It also indicates what type of equipment you are licensed for (Small print at bottom).

So if you don't check EPIRB or SSB, yes you will have to go back later and update the FCC license, but there is no fee involved.... It is like updating your address. They will then send you a new License with the indicated changes..

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21   #17

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
My understanding is that I still need just the two licenses from FCC for VHF, SSB and satellite and AIS. Ship station license and Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit. Correct?
Yes, unless you want to use HAM Radio frequencies, which are commonly used by Martime Groups like the 14300.net, the Sonrisa Net in Mexico or hundreds of other maritime HAM groups throughout the world...

Then you would also want to test for you General HAM License in addition to obtaining the above licenses.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:56   #18

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
FCC license VHF SSB radios

Radio Station Authorization & Restricted Radiotelephone Operator permit

FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Online Systems
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 15:56   #19

I have a ham general license. Do I need the RR permit also to use the ssb on marine frequencies?
Vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 16:01   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
I have a ham general license. Do I need the RR permit also to use the ssb on marine frequencies?
Yes! You also need a station license for the boat. You can do it all in an online at the FCC in a form application on the Internet and a second form to pay buy credit card. You can also register your EPRIB, get an MSSI number and add a VHF license that you need for international travel too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 16:11   #21

A third license (in addition to station and rr licenses) for VHF??
Old 15-05-2013, 17:21   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you travel outside the US then YES!
Old 15-05-2013, 18:14   #23

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

This could be misinterpreted.

When travelling outside the US you need a station license, which covers VHF, SSB, EPIRB, AIS, radar - anything that emits radio frequency signals. Check all the boxes now, so you won't have to update for new equipment. It used to cost extra money to modify services, but someone earlier seems to think it doesn't now. Either way just check all the boxes now and be done with it. And be certain to obtain an MMSI as well as call sign with this license.

Every operator on board needs their own RR license.

Every ham operator needs a ham license. Ham licenses are both station and operator's license in one. They do not generally provide permission inside foreign waters, with some exceptions, but usually reciprocal licenses can be arranged. Ham things are a large topic unto themselves.

Inside the US the rules are less restrictive. MMSI numbers can be obtained from places like West Marine, but they are not intended for international use and do not attach to the Ship Station License.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:16   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Greg,

Seems clear to me.
Old 15-05-2013, 20:09   #25

Thanks, Greg. I get it now.
Old 15-05-2013, 21:02   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

You're welcome.

BTW, the EPIRB has to be registered with NOAA as well as be on your ships station license from the FCC. The NOAA registration must be renewed every two years, as opposed to 10 years for the FCC. The NOAA registration includes a sticker which must be placed on the EPIRB - it is one of the things the USCG checks.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 02:34   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

While Im repeating other posters

A 'ship' needs an authorisation to be a ships radio station. ie to have communications equipment aboard, technically this covers EPIRBs, Radar, VHF, MF HF (SSB), inmarsat etc. Upon receipt of this an internationally unique and recognised call sign and now an MMSI is assigned TO THE SHIP.

The assigned call signs and MMSIs are registered with teh ITU and can be searched for in their database and their 'directories'

Entirely separate to this , the operators of the equipment need various competency certificates to operate the equipment, the rules of which vary from country to country.

The US confuses matters by assigning 'false' MMSI which do not apply internationally and removing the need for ships licenses for domestic used lesiure craft.

If you have any intentions of having longer range equipment or travelling aboard, then do the full FCC registration.

MMSIs and call signs do NOT move with the owner.

when applying for the ship station license, basically tick all the boxes, for all equipment whether you have it or not. saves going back in the future.

DAve
Old 16-05-2013, 08:10   #28

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

get your EPIRB registered, that you may need if you sink out there. As for the VHF and SSB, just use them politely and all is good. I use the call sign Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Me Too I Ate One Sour Too, but feel free to make up your own.
If you don't remember the phrase Me To I Ate One Sour Too, you may be too young or you may have missed a lot of fun. Google it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 08:49   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
get your EPIRB registered, that you may need if you sink out there. As for the VHF and SSB, just use them politely and all is good. I use the call sign Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Me Too I Ate One Sour Too, but feel free to make up your own.
If you don't remember the phrase Me To I Ate One Sour Too, you may be too young or you may have missed a lot of fun. Google it.
Is it really so hard to properly register your boat and yourself for radio comms? In the US, they make it dead easy -- not even any tests! All done online in about two minutes!

Then you can have a real call sign and, more importantly, a real MMSI number, which may save your bacon someday.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 09:02   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
It covers SSB as well.

It is really a fake license invented to help US sailors abroad -- there is no test of any knowledge involved, something which irks foreign sailors who work quite hard to get a license to use even VHF. In most countries, SSB requires a long range operator's certificate, which is a different license, and a fairly serious exam.

Our "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's License" covers both SSB & VHF. You don't need it to operate VHF in US waters.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, ssb, vhf