Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 12:03   #1

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
FAA License for Marine Radio

I hold the GROL w/Radar, I believe I'm legal to run a VHF/HF/RADAR throughout the US and probably the world. But I have never actually used the license except as needed for my job (Repairing LARGE ship and aircraft radar and electronics gear). Are there any special licenses I will need for operating and working on the gear used in this market?
I expect to have VHF, HF, Radar, and GPS.
The only gear I know needs a license is the GMDSS endorsement (Global Maritime Distress Safety System, elements 7 & 8)
Old 30-11-2010, 13:09   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I think the FCC could answer your question better then anyone here.

Quote:
General Radiotelephone Operator License
The maintenance, repair or adjustment of FCC- licensed radiotelephone transmitters for the aviation, maritime and international public-radio services must be performed by those who possess a valid General Radiotelephone Operator License. The authority of this license also extends to ships with compulsory onboard radiotelephone stations whose peak power output level exceeds 1,500 watts.

Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Radio Operator's License
Holders of the GMDSS Radio Operator's License can perform basic adjustments on maritime radio equipment designed for global maritime distress and safety communications. Other classes of the GMDSS license include the Restricted GMDSS Radio Operator's License, the GMDSS Radio Maintainer's License and the GMDSS Radio Maintainer/Operator License. Each license class conveys specific authority regarding what type of operational, adjustment, repair and maintenance activities the licensee is allowed to perform.

Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate
Chief radio operators on U.S. passenger ships with a radiotelegraphy station must possess a First Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate. A candidate for licensure must be 21 years of age, or older, with at least one year of radiotelegraph experience at a public coast or ship station. The First Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate conveys all the rights and privileges of the subordinate Second and Third Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificates. All three classes must be renewed every five years.

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit
The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit grants its holder the right to operate most types of aircraft and aeronautical ground stations, and further requires basic knowledge of the treaties and laws governing the radio station being operated. The permit also extends to the operation of radiotelephone equipment on marine pleasure crafts, with the exception of commercial services exceeding six passengers on the Great Lakes and other restricted zones.

Marine Radio Operator Permit
The Marine Radio Operator Permit is required for the operation of radiotelephone equipment aboard ships and aircraft under certain conditions. Included among them are vessels on the Great Lakes, those in excess of 300-gross tons and commercial operations with more than six passengers operating in the open sea or U.S. tidewaters.
Ship Radar Endorsement

Persons who repair, maintain and adjust ship radar equipment must possess a Ship Radar Endorsement. To qualify, the candidate must pass a written exam and either hold, or qualify for, a General Radiotelephone Operator License, a GMDSS Radio Maintainer's License, a GMDSS Radio Operator/Maintainer License, or a First or Second Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate.
Old 30-11-2010, 13:21   #3
Eternal Member

I believe the GROL w/radar and GMDSS endorsements is all you need to work on marine and aircraft transmitting equipment.

BTW, the GROL is issued by the FCC, not the FAA.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 19:19   #4

"BTW, the GROL is issued by the FCC, not the FAA." Duh I work with too much alphabet soup.

I believe if you have the GROL it covers all lesser licenses that have the same Elements.

My GROL w/Radar requires elements 1,3, & 8. I Would need 7 & 9 to cover all GMDSS requirements.

The basic Restricted Radiotelephone doesn't require a test and is in fact a permit, not a commercial license.

But there is still a gray area, I have a license for VHF, do I need a permit also? I don't think so but I can't verify it. The license says I can work on it, the permit allows my station to operate. Maybe I'm picking nits but I can't find that answer.
================================================== ===
Did some more digging.
  1. I do not need the Restricted Radiotelephone permit. My GROL works.
  2. I would only need a ship station license if:
    1. I am required by law or treaty to carry a radio on my vessel. (No)
    2. My vessel travels to foreign ports. (Maybe)
    3. If I have marine radio equipment on board my vessel other than marine VHF radios, EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon), and radar. (No)
So, if I intend to go to the Bahamas my ship will need a license. Personally I am covered for operation of any correctly licensed vessel.

Old 30-11-2010, 19:46   #5
Eternal Member

Don,

Don't confuse what you need to OPERATE a marine radio with what you need to WORK ON a marine radio.

The GROL covers both...it's a commercial license which gives you both operating privileges and the right to work on the radios.

For marine radios, two types of licenses are required: (1) an operators permit or license -- the GROL meets that requirement just time; and (2) a station license for the vessel, covering all installed transmitting equipment.

In the U.S. no station license or operators license is required for VHF use, unless you talk to foreign vessels or go abroad. If you go abroad, you need both an operators license (minimum requirement is the Restricted Marine Operator's Permit) AND a station license.

For HF/SSB, you require both licenses for operation, even in the U.S.

And, as you know, if you're going to work on marine radios, you need the GROL.

Bill
Old 30-11-2010, 19:56   #6

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
FCC Commercial Radio Operator License Program

Commercial Radio Operator License Program: Commercial Operator Home
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 19:59   #7

One other thing I found is that while not required you should have a vessel station license for DSCE - Digital Selective Calling Equipment. You can register with BoatUS but if you want an FCC number you need a station license. You can also register your EPIRB with the FCC on the same form.
Old 30-11-2010, 20:02   #8

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
I hold a GMDSS license: Now would it be legal for me to use the ham freqs that the yachties use at sea??
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 20:05   #9
Eternal Member

Don,

That's the MMSI number. Boat U.S. and a few others can issue one to you on request, BUT.....all MMSI numbers are not created equally. Unfortunately. The ones issues by Boat U.S., et. al are not entered into the international database.

If you even contemplate EVER needing to apply for a VHF or HF, or other transmitting station license, then get your MMSI from the FCC. That's the one you want to enter into your VHF and/or HF radio, NOT the ones issued by Boat U.S.

Sound confusing? It is. Heaven only knows how we could F___ up such a simple thing, but we have.

And, you gotta be careful, because you only get TWO TRIES to enter a MMSI number into most radios, after which you must send the radio to a dealer or back to the manufacturer. Craziness!

Bill
Old 30-11-2010, 21:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
I hold a GMDSS license: Now would it be legal for me to use the ham freqs that the yachties use at sea??
Now it really get confusing.

I believe you still need an Amateur radio station license even if you have a ships license. But just having the GMDSS does not allow you to operate a not otherwise licensed station. And actually I think you only took elements 1 and 9, you need element 3 to operate a radio other than a GMDSS system. That would be a GROL with GMDSS endorsement. BUT I may be wrong.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:00   #11
Eternal Member

Don,

You're making it much too hard.

Let's just talk about HF radio on boats. Not aviation, land-mobile, military, or any other services.

To operate a marine HF/SSB radio aboard ship you need three things:

1. a ship station license;
2. a commercial operator license (restricted, MR, or GROL will do...see below); and
3. a marine type-accepted (FCC certified) transceiver.

The FCC currently issues the following types of commercial operator licenses and endorsements:

To operate a ham radio station anywhere you need two things:

1. a ham license.
2. a radio which will tune the ham bands -- any kind, even one you built yourself.

That's all. No separate station license is required.

A commercial operators license, including the GROL, does NOT permit you to operate a radio on the ham bands. Only a ham license does that.

A Ham license does NOT permit you to operate a radio on any other bands other than those designated for amateur radio use.

The GROL license allows you to WORK ON any HF radio -- marine, aircraft, land-mobile, etc.

Really not so complicated.

What is it, exactly, that you're looking to do?

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
NO!

To use the ham freqs you need a ham license.

Period.

See other posts.
Old 14-12-2010, 08:42   #13

Boat: Leopard 40
What kind of license is it advisable to get before going off cruising?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 09:23   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
My understanding is that A GROL needs GMDSS extensions to operate DSC equipment ( either DSC VHF or DSC MF/HF)

Dave
Old 14-12-2010, 09:45   #15

Boat: private yacht always moving
might want to get in touch with this school in fort lauderdale

Maritime Professional Training - Captain's License | Sea School | Merchant Marine | Simulation
they are one of the best places to get information,,, explain what you are doing and they will tell you what you need, I have taken several classes there over the course of 8 years,,,, also taken classes at many other school,,,,
take a look at there web site and give them a call,, they will guide you through what you need without trying to sell you anything,,,also tell them that you are NON commercial and just a pleasure boater
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, radio