Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 18:00   #1

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44
Excessive USCG Processing times

Anyone else experiencing excessive times for the USCG processing of boat documentation paperwork? Two and a half months after filing for boat documentation paperwork it still wasn't completed, so I filed a request for "rush" processing. That was 3 weeks ago; still no joy.

While perhaps an explainable inconvenience while in US waters, I'm outside and have the catch-22 of expiring foreign vessel cruising permit, but unable to clear out without the paperwork.

If you have managed to get something through the USCG recently, how long did it take?
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 18:10   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Excessive USCG Processing times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabago View Post
Anyone else experiencing excessive times for the USCG processing of boat documentation paperwork? Two and a half months after filing for boat documentation paperwork it still wasn't completed, so I filed a request for "rush" processing. That was 3 weeks ago; still no joy.

While perhaps an explainable inconvenience while in US waters, I'm outside and have the catch-22 of expiring foreign vessel cruising permit, but unable to clear out without the paperwork.

If you have managed to get something through the USCG recently, how long did it take?
I went through the process last year - took 3 months.

Sent from mTalk
Old 23-09-2017, 19:40   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

It's taking 4-5 months this year. I just received a notice that my old boat - sold 5 months ago with the documentation transfer sent in then - is in need of renewal, which means they still haven't processed the change of ownership from the beginning of July.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 23:16   #4

Went thru this 2-3yrs ago.

Give them a call and explain your situation. The online website and forms are horrible and confusing but once you get thru to an actual person, they were very helpful.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 00:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Went thru this 2-3yrs ago.

Give them a call and explain your situation. The online website and forms are horrible and confusing but once you get thru to an actual person, they were very helpful.
I would recommend that same, or use email. You have to state "urgent" (or maybe it's "priority") in your communications with them. I was in a somewhat similar situation recently and I found the folks doing the processing to be very willing to give extra attention to a case that was relatively urgent. If you are operating internationally, they know you need the documentation certificate. In my case they kindly sent it by email -- which I needed because in fact they couldn't get the paper version to me in time. The upshot is that clearly communicating genuine need for urgent service will probably get it.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 04:46   #6

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Certainly a valid reason to get to 5 year renewals ASAP. That would cut the workload within a year.
Old 24-09-2017, 05:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I did the paperwork for my son-in-law and he just got his docs yesterday after five months.

When I did my own several years ago it was running 6-7 months. About three months in I planned a trip to the Bahamas and needed the docs. Called, spoke to a very nice person, explained the situation and had them 3 days later.

Phone call is my recommendation. FYI their offices are closed one day during the week, Wed or Thu if I recall.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:07   #8

Renewal is not bad maybe 2-3 weeks but initial may take about 3 months.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:22   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Took about 3 months 7 years ago to get my initial papers. Has been only taking a week or two since to get renewal.
Old 24-09-2017, 09:23   #10

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabago View Post

f

I bought my boat in San Diego end of October 2016. I finally received my certificate three weeks ago! The sales tax bill did not come with it and I called the California State Board of Equalization so I could pay the tax before the year was up to avoid paying penalties. Then again I did not file the using the RUSH mode. I was suprised at how long it took.

Good Luck!

Al Thomas
S/V St. Thomas
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:35   #11

Be very careful in the renewal process. We almost got caught in a scam and even then they got more information than is comfortable.

A company with website uscgdocumentation.us sends a letter in which it is difficult to determine if they are the coast guard or an authorized representative. It has a large watermark that seems coast guard like. One of the problems with privatization of government services is knowing if the privatized service is legitimate. In any event they have your documentation number, name, and address which is easy to find through the USCG database. They send the letter requesting you contact them for documentation. The return address is in WV (sounds right eh), but the letter is stamped by a California post office. You call, get an answering machine, and they call back.

The cost for updated documentation is $90/yr and we can offer a 5 year documentation at $90/year. But it was $29 last year. Well the price is higher now. Hey our documentation ownership does not match our title ownership. Yes they screwed that up back in 2007 and will refuse to fix the mistake now. But we can change it for $450 now- non refundable. Well that raises a trust issue. If it was done improperly then how can we be sure it is done right now? I can elevate your concern to my management, but I doubt they will be responsive.

If possible, do the documentation through the USCG website. It still costs $29. Nobody else can harmonize the title and documentation ownership except the USCG for $84. The USCG maintains that it is not necessary that they are harmonized, the title is what counts. Congress has not authorized the 5 year documentation though it has been in the works.

If you contact the postal service about suspected mail fraud, they request that you provide all sorts of information, but they only follow-up after numerous other complaints. In other words, the scammers have already collected and vaporized before there is postal inspector follow-up.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 09:56   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Yes you have to call them, they will expedite after you explain your situation. And yes watch out for these guys:https://uscgdocumentation.us/
They are not the coast guard but a "documentation service" they will send you a "renewal" notice. All of our addresses and renewal dates are published on this website:Office of Science and Technology
which is how they get your info. Many people have been tricked into paying more than double for their renewals.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:32   #13

Boat: Whitby 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Certainly a valid reason to get to 5 year renewals ASAP. That would cut the workload within a year.
There is no such thing through the CG. It's an independent outfit that charges an arm and a leg, but they still have to go through the CG process.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:57   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Renewal in August took two weeks.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 12:56   #15

Boat: Moody, Custom 58 Cutter

Thumbs Up is right on in commenting on questionable services being provided by a "documentation service". A client of ours was quoted $200 for filing her new documentation papers. Two weeks later the bill was $750 and the person wasn't in
their office during the period they billed for. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Aeolus6 is offline   Reply With Quote