Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 03:49   #1

Boat: Sunbeam 44
EU boat in the EU with US crew ?

Hi .. I am an EU flagged yacht going across the Adriatic from one EU country (Croatia) to another EU country (Italy). All POB's normally all EU citizens but this year i will have a US crew member...

Do i need to to checkin now ? and if so when ? before or after the marina docking ?

thanks ..
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: EU boat in the EU with US crew ?

He will/should have a 90day visa for entry to the EU when he flies in so just clear everyone in and out as normal at marina's/ports and notify the authorities when he leaves the boat/ceases to be crew.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:53   #3

Re: EU boat in the EU with US crew ?

Thanks Boaty.... which 'authorities' should I notify when they leave ?

Cheers from an ex greenie....
Old 02-04-2017, 05:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: EU boat in the EU with US crew ?

Generally in the EU these days everything is 'Centralised' with marina's linked into the Customs/Immigration/Police/Interpol data base so every arrival and departure is tracked.. basically when you clear in at his last stop inform them that there's a crew change and he/she will be leaving the boat there.. depending on the length of visa remaining proof of his ability to depart Europe may be required.. ie return ticket to the States/funds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:43   #5

Boat: Nauticat 38, 1994

Slightly off track but we have a US flagged sailboat in Jeselo, Italy for the last 4 yrs and sail the Adriatic during the summer, Slovania, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania. The Italians dont seem to care where we are coming from and told us not to bother checking in our out, go figure. We have had US visitors who came and went (less than 90 days) with regular tourist Passports and no visas. Each place is different, i.e., Croatia wants a license (I show them my USCG licence) and they are happy. Also want insurance papers even for a dinghy. Slovania told us not to bother checking in. Albania wanted 50€ and the boat papers so they could stamp our passports. Nice place too. But we like Montenegro the most!
Capt Jim
NC-38, SARA II
US Passport holders
jimtaylorofkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:10   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4raffy View Post
Hi .. I am an EU flagged yacht going across the Adriatic from one EU country (Croatia) to another EU country (Italy). All POB's normally all EU citizens but this year i will have a US crew member...

Do i need to to checkin now ? and if so when ? before or after the marina docking ?

thanks ..
The governing law is Shengen treaty. Both countries you have mentioned are parties to said treaty, so tehnically you are not crossing any borders (like crossing from NY state to NJ).
However, your crew should adhere to Shengen requirements, stating than an USA citizen is allowed to stay up to 90 days out of any 180 days.
No need for a visa.
Some local autborities may ask to see passports and may want a detailed crew list which you should have ready and updated if asked for.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Believe it or not, but it's actually a complicated question.

First of all: the key issue is not EU, but Schengen. The EU is not a borderless area.

Schengen is THEORETICALLY borderless, but in practice it is -- not always. Some Schengen states now require non-EU citizens travelling on a yacht to check in and out even when coming from/going to another Schengen state. For example, the Netherlands requires filing a written declaration, and when you do it, they actually come to the boat to visit you, check your passport, etc.

So what do you do when you sail to a non- port of entry? Heck if I know. I sailed to Makkum, Netherlands from Cuxhaven, Germany last August, and did nothing, as Makkum is not a port of entry. It's probably a violation.

Some French airports, like Nice Cote d Azure, now make you go through normal passport control even if you arrive from a Schengen country. This contradicts what is written on the EU official website.

According to this:

France —

France requires any boat arriving in a French port, even from another Schengen country, to report to immigration if there are any non-EU citizens on board.

This bit is generally relevant:

"Due to the current situation with regard to the number of migrants and refugees attempting to enter Europe, a number of Schengen Area countries have re-introduced border controls. Therefore, it is advisable that cruisers now check with the official authorities when entering or leaving a country."

I think that's the best general advice.

Being on an EU-flagged yacht exempts you from any customs clearance when travelling between EU countries. But immigration and customs are entirely separate and unrelated things.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 13:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The governing law is Shengen treaty. Both countries you have mentioned are parties to said treaty, so tehnically you are not crossing any borders (like crossing from....

Actually ... Croatia is not a Shengen country

Tags
boat, crew