Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 16:49   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Environmental Impact Fee?

I bought fuel in Ft. Pierce Fl yesterday and had a charge added to my bill listed as an "environmental impact fee". It worked out to 12 cents a gallon. I have found nothing on such fees for fuel in my Google searches. Does anyone have any idea what this fee is who who gets it?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 16:55   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Environmental Impact Fee?

Those Fees are called "Carbon Tax" in Canada, the money is supposed to be redirected to green initiatives.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 17:12   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I have filled up in florida many places and not noticed this fee. Some places add the tax to the posted price, others add it at the on at the register. I bet this enviro fee is not state required and its added because they can. I've noticed at some auto shops a enviro fee is added to any oil/filter change, but down the road just miles it is not charged. A slick way of adding a couple bucks to the bill, without raising the advertised price. Just a guess.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 17:27   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I have filled up in florida many places and not noticed this fee. Some places add the tax to the posted price, others add it at the on at the register. I bet this enviro fee is not state required and its added because they can. I've noticed at some auto shops a enviro fee is added to any oil/filter change, but down the road just miles it is not charged. A slick way of adding a couple bucks to the bill, without raising the advertised price. Just a guess.
Yep! Also because cars are getting better milage now some states are going to charge on the mileage you drive. Not sure how they'll keep track yet but it's in the works.

In our valve shop we use to charge for environmental, disposable and haz-mat fees.

The object is to spend as little as possible in licensed businesses. But I'm sure the guvment will find away there too. My old cell phone(s) bill was a page long with taxes. Now we're on a prepay.
Old 04-01-2013, 17:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We got hosed in the yard in Floriday as we were trying to move our hurricane damaged, non-working, non-floating hulk to Michigan by truck. The Florida Environmental Imapct fee is at best, a Florida state tax. At worst, it is a fee levied by unscrupulous basins to fleece you a bit more than normal. We were assessed the fee for sitting on the hard. I would not buy anything there ever again. Fortunately, our 380 gallon fuel system gives us a 1700 mile range. I regularly top it with two 6 gallon hand-carry tanks from the corner gas station when possible. Our current marina (harbortown in Muskegon) does not screw their members. Gas is ethanol-free and same as pump prices on the road. Diesel is also par. Stay away from Florida marinas, particularly near Miami.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 17:33   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I would call them on that. At least in Massachusetts, where my yacht club pumps fuel, the price on the pump is a legal limit. It would be against the law to add anything to it.