Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-02-2012, 07:20   #31

Boat: Morgan 41 OI
Re: Entry Reg's n Rules

As posted by others when entering another country do your reaserch, show up with a smile, be respectfull and be prepared to wait or be ready to go back where you came from. It's a new world.

Old 20-02-2012, 07:45   #32

My two cents is to arrange your boating affairs so they don't look any different than any normal tourist traveling: have all your addresses on your various documents matching, have a normal driver's license in addition to your passport, have whatever tickets a normal traveler would have, etc. If you look and act like the everyday you will breeze through wherever you are, but if you arrive with some odd set of papers, some strange garb on, carrying something different or in your luggage, etc. you get the third degree. Don't stand out and things go smoother, and if you are asked some dumb question just answer it with a response that the average Joe would make.

Old 20-02-2012, 09:24   #33

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
My two cents is to arrange your boating affairs so they don't look any different than any normal tourist traveling: have all your addresses on your various documents matching, have a normal driver's license in addition to your passport, have whatever tickets a normal traveler would have, etc. If you look and act like the everyday you will breeze through wherever you are, but if you arrive with some odd set of papers, some strange garb on, carrying something different or in your luggage, etc. you get the third degree. Don't stand out and things go smoother, and if you are asked some dumb question just answer it with a response that the average Joe would make.
+1

And, if a minor problem does crop up, at least here in Central America, the "stupid gringo" routine works pretty well. By contrast, the "Ugly American" routine will likely just dig you a deeper hole.

Treat officials with respect, courtesy, and patience and, in most venues, you will receive the same in return.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:58   #34

Quote:
Treat officials with respect, courtesy, and patience and, in most venues, you will receive the same in return.
+1. A handshake, a smile, and a few pleasant introductions go a long way.
Old 20-02-2012, 11:06   #35

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cruiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
they're getting rid of the dui thing. that rule was based on not allowing people with criminal offenses, which a dui is in canada, across the border. soon all criminals will be allowed in, not just the rich ones. jk, bit they're making it better.
Sorry to hear that as IMHO it is an excellent non entry rule. DUI is a criminal offense in the states also. Know many people whose whole family or part of it were wiped out by a drunk driver. After 10 yrs and with pre notification incl background check on your nickel with no other occurances would grant provisonal entry. Needs to be a price to be paid for your bad behaviour not just more govt dumbing down and acceptance of it. IMHO
(And before you think I am anti booze there is 611 cases of adult beverages and 54 cases of imported beer on our boat now enroute from the Med via the Canaries to the states.)
John
Uh, I'm not sure that that many cases doesn't outweigh the lead keel on my sloop...
Old 20-02-2012, 13:56   #36

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Uh, I'm not sure that that many cases doesn't outweigh the lead keel on my sloop...
25,272 lbs per our 4 booze shipping manifests totaled. Less than half the weight of the diesel she took on. We filled up 4 cabins with the booze. Another cabin with furniture and stuff she liked. Master cabin has my dad promoted to acting Read Admiral as the owners rep and the 6 crew have their own. Could have loaded another 35 tons on her but since has lived her life in the Med. and is now crossing the Atlantic to Florida we didn't want to load her close to her max tonnage for her first Ocean crossing. Only PITA was the 6 stone statue crates the Admiral wanted. We had to lift the tenders out of their hold and put the crates in first and then reload the tenders on top after securing them. Who knew when we bought this boat that her first cruise after sea trials and shakedown would be as a freighter! LOL!

Ya just gotta love your steel boat! Esp. after seeing what a container hit @ 15 knts can do to a shaft and prop but didn't penetrate the hull!
(we were on the hard being surveyed when the Megayacht came into the boatyard on her other engine)

John & Carol
Old 20-02-2012, 15:25   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

How does one act normal and smile and still enter without a return ticket knowing full well the ticket will not be used becasue he is leaving on a boat?

Pay for the ticket and toss it as cost of business?

Old 20-02-2012, 16:55   #38
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Not to sound like a war hawk but there is something to be said for erring on the side of caution. The FBI nabbed a guy today that tried to waltz into the Capitol with explosives (fortunately they were fake and the FBI sold them to him).
Yes but "erring on the side of caution" is used as a justification to trample all people rights and dignity. In my opinion, it is a mark of an open and free society, that accepts that it cannot turn its country into a fortress and accepts that in return for respecting civil liberties, we run the risk of terrorist atrocities. In Europe for example subjecting entering tourists to the procedures that the US adopts would be regarded as an infringement of their civil rights. The consequence of that action, is that Europe accepts that a certain risk of atrocities will occur ( and do occur). It's unfortunately a price of freedom.

The Us population has long felt itself isolated from such atrocities, they have always " felt safe" , whereas Europeans have never "felt safe", as a result of 9/11 and others, the US is attempting to recreate that lost paradise, and in doing so is prepared to trample over every cherished freedom to do so. Hopefully the US population will awaken from this foolishness, accept that " feeling safe" has gone forever and reassert the supremacy of civil rights over security as a mark( nay even a cost ) of an open and free society.

I say this as I have a friend going over to sail a boat from the US, later in the spring, he's a model citizen etc etc, with many visits to the US, yet he has purchase a &euro; 450. Return flight that he just throws away. This despite several letters to his local US embassy etc. ( he was also reminded that since he proposed entering on a visa waiver, if he had for any reason to return to the US ( ie breakdown or press of weather), he would be in serious violation of the immigration law and could face a jail sentence. ( that'll sure keep him off shore).

BTW, Crititism of TSA personnel or US border or homeland security personell are entirely misplaced. I had the opportunity to use Shannon airport, US pre-clearance facilities recently ( which allow you then to use US citizen arrivals in JFK) the personnel were friendly but strict. It's not the TSA , it's the rule makers and the people in Washington that "use" people's fear as a justification for such actions.

There not much difference between chinas immigration policy and the US, it give one cause to ponder.

Dave
Old 21-02-2012, 00:31   #39

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Well said, Dave. Five years ago, I would have caught flak for my post in the then-prevailing "with us or against us" party line, but I haven't now and I guess that because enough Americans have experienced the "do you feel secure yet?" mentality, especially if you try to travel on your own without a schedule or destination.

That does not compute to the official mind. The results for people in boats are known.

The high-pitched whine must be Ben Franklin spinning in his grave: Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

And those who like Americans are sad for America.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:04   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
The high-pitched whine must be Ben Franklin spinning in his grave: Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
And this has to be my all time favourite quote when i decry the freedoms we have given up in my own country, for those dictated by another....

Old 21-02-2012, 01:20   #41

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mates. It is our own (U.S. citizens that is) fault that clearing U.S. customs & immigration has become what it is today. President Eisenhower specifically warned us as he left office:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Cheers.
Old 21-02-2012, 02:14   #42
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Don't worry Mr Boatman, I'll keep the beers cold for you when you finally arrive!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 02:36   #43

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

goboatingnow: actually getting in to china is a breeze and the immigration officials i've struck have all been pleasant and super efficient. it's a marked contrast to some first world countries. for my residence/employment visa i required a police interview. my interrogation was as follows: "do you like china?" to which i replied: "yes". that was it. done deal !
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 03:06   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Don't worry Mr Boatman, I'll keep the beers cold for you when you finally arrive!
Yep, cause it's all sweet here and no problems at at all.....
Old 21-02-2012, 03:39   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

To be fair to anyone on the frontline of immigration / customs - they have "rules", and am pretty sure that in the case of the USA that means no discretion (which also rules out common sense). In their shoes I too would make the same choices, follow the rules exactly (and on the side of caution) or risk losing job / pension (boat?) - no matter how dumb I really think the rules are.

The reason why being nice to "foreign" customs etc works is that they do have discretion (to both bar and to welcome).

Obviously in the real world, getting past immigration is often a case of who you know - their is a reason why much illegal entry involves jumbo jets. "freinds and family" get through, for profit or for divided loyalties.....the days of folks changing loyalties simply from acquiring a new passport are long gone, if they ever really existed.

Now he is on the Radar, probably a bit too late for Boatman to do anything else except buy a return ticket. I would have bought an onward ticket to the cheapest non-USA destination. Ideally refundable but if not, then have to suck it up.

Alternatively he could simply wave his Passport and state loudly: "I have nothing to declare except the fact that I am British - now, let me pass "....possibly also muttering something about a gunboat arriving in the morning .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: