Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 04:20   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Entering USVI with European passport

Hello everyone.

Does anyone have recent experience with Customs at Cruz Bay, USVI entering on a private boat with a European passport that IS eligible for ESTA/Visa Waiver, HAS a valid entry stamp from a recent entry to US by commercial carrier, but DOES NOT have a B1/B2 visa?

A few years ago I was told by the officer there that if there was a prior entry stamp that was still unexpired then I could use it to enter with my UK passport, but would like to have more recent info..

Unfortunately they don´t answer the phone any longer, even the phone we aliens are supposed to call to inform our arrival!

Thanks in advance
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:07   #2

Boat: C&C 38
Re: Entering USVI with European passport

Firstly, Customs in Cruz Bay is, or was up to yesterday closed and check/ins have to be done in Red Hook, St Thomas, close to American Yacht Harbor or by Havensight in Charlotte Amalie.

Secondly, if on a private boat your captain will be handling check ins but all passengers must be there.

Personally I have not been required to check out myself (UK national) or my boat (private, UK reg) on leaving USVI shores, so always had entry but not exit stamps if I went to the BVIs. Other islands do require exit papers.

Phone landlines are still mostly not working after the hurricanes in September, therefore there have been problems also with online systems here.

Visa Waiver SHOULD work for you, but that can sometimes depend on the attitude of the Official on the day.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit!!
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaila View Post

Personally I have not been required to check out myself (UK national) or my boat (private, UK reg) on leaving USVI shores, so always had entry but not exit stamps if I went to the BVIs. Other islands do require exit papers.
My employer´s lawyers told me how nasty things could get if CBP does not have good records of my departures from the US. In the past the alien would manage this by "surrendering" the paper I-94 at the time of leaving (I have done that in Cruz Bay), but the lawyers showed me that half the time the exit was not recorded and encouraged me to get a written record. Boat checkout is not required in USVI (same as 50 US states) but if you are a bit of a nitpicker you want to make sure there is a record of the departure of the individuals who are neither US citizens nor green card holders. For that purpose I exercise the right (not obligation ) to get a "courtesy clearance" in form CBP 1300. That protects my guests and myself from being locked up in "secondary" next time I fly into MIA.
Old 14-03-2018, 06:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
but would like to have more recent info.
There's a Swedish couple who have a Youtube channel about them travelling around the world on their yacht.

This is from last summer when they did exactly that and showed what happened (it all went well):-

TonyBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 17:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBe View Post
There's a Swedish couple who have a Youtube channel about them travelling around the world on their yacht.

This is from last summer when they did exactly that and showed what happened (it all went well):-

Many thanks. We will see how it goes next month.

Tags
Europe, rope