Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 04:47   #16

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Entering Alaskan Waters from BC

Good morning japarker. Two hundred miles south? That must Evanston, Logan, Bringham City or there abouts.
I agree that time of year is fantastic. And the weather this year in the fall was fantastic. We all thought an early winter was upon us with early cold and rains in September but that did not last. We were anchored in Sequim Bay for the duration until our recent move to Deer Harbor so we could leave the boat for a few months. I know you are saying why not John Wayne Marina? Well the cost is almost double and besides we like the Deer Harbor area since my sisters in laws have a big spread on Crane Island just across the way from Orcas.
I spend several years in Squalicum and love that place. Can't beat the ease of shopping around there whether for nautical stuff, food or whatever. If you can't find it in Bellingham you probably don't need it.
Anyhow getting back to big trips, yes Alaska via Mexico and Hawaii is on our bucket list. I would like to explore the Aleutians if I get the guts to do it. I have the boat just have to learn to use it.
I am installing a hydronic heating system in the boat now so we could spend the winter in Alaska if we so choose. At least keeping the boat warm inside would not be a reason not to stay.
In any case happy Thanksgiving and I hope our paths cross in the near future.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

NWS,
Better add 50 or so miles to that 200? We are old Great Salt Lake racers. Deer Harbor - nearly neighbors again? It was interesting meeting the various cruisers and their different concepts of wintering. It ranged from mooring in front of the Empress (a Northwest Passage boat), the San Juans - Friday Harbor, Deer Harbor, etc to Bellingham and Anacortes. All of those seemed to have the common trait of being very protected, calm mooring locations. As I recall, the same cannot be said for Sequim?
It would be interesting to hear how you came by your Meta Dalu, It surely could handle the Aleutians. We will be in Deer Harbor to pick up a watermaker in early 2014. Will be sure to check if you are aboard. After Thanksgiving in Seattle, we will be sailing Odyssey back to Squalicum for the next four months. Perhaps, see you in Alaska in 2014?

John P
Odyssey
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17   #18

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

John,
We had thought about mooring in front of the Empress. In fact we did for a few days this summer then found a permanent slip in Hidden Harbor Marina on the west side of the harbor. It was so tight we had to move the boat in by hand.
Sequim Bay has excellent holding, at least for our Rocna anchor. There can be gale force winds from the south but not more than once a month. But the anchor held fine. The ability to park a car at the marina, their nice facilities and all the amenities of Sequim make it a fairly attractive location for us. Plus my sister and dad live there.
Yes, when we meet up we will discuss how we came by our boat. It is an interesting story.
At this point I am not sure whether we will spend another month in DH, move back to Sequim or move into Lake Union for a week or so while I get the heater fully installed.
I am interested to know what watermaker you end up with since that is probably my next big project after Alaska that we will need in Baja although we do have 1000 liters or 260 gals in water tankage.
Do hope we meet up either in DH or Alaska this summer.
Cheers
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, water