Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43   #1

Enforcement of black water regulations in the Med

I understood there are regulations for also all private pleasure vessels to have a black water holding tank, or not to discharge any black water within varying range from the coast, which in practice requires having a tank. How do they apply these regulations in practice though?

We are planning a trip from Turkey to Gibraltar along the European coast next fall with our 1962 built 31ft narrow traditional english boat, that doesn't really have space for a tank and are wondering will they give us trouble for that?

Thankful for any experience from different countries along the way.
Captain Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:06   #2

Boat: Farrier f27
Re: Enforcement of black water regulations in the Med

It's my understanding that no discharges are allowed anywhere in the Med per IMO treaty.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:11   #3

At least where we've been in Greece and Turkey it's not enforced, though from what I hear they are becoming stricter... But checking and fining just on random.
Captain Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
It's my understanding that no discharges are allowed anywhere in the Med per IMO treaty.

I'm surprised at that; and can't find any reference to exceptions to the standard MARPOL rules that are valid for the Med. Do you have a source for that information?

postscript : I found the MARPOL Special Area "Mediterranean" in Annex V; it discusses special rules for garbage in effec since 2010; but does not apply to sewage, the only special rule for that is in the Baltic.

See http://www.imo.org/OurWork/Environme...01%2862%29.pdf
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Regarding "black water". I have a holding tank onboard, but prefer not to use it. My family uses the toilet facilities when in a marina, which is usually every night.

Last summer, I needed to transit the Caledonian Canal to partake in The Malts Cruise in the Inner Hebrides. I was concerned about the "black water" regulations.

My chandlery in Holland sold me some disposable paper/plastic toilet bowl liners that one could place IN the toilet. Not to be flushed, but disposed of on shore. We would carefully store these used liners in double plastic bags before disposing.

Otherwise, I would start thinking "Port-a-Potty".
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:04   #6

Boat: Farrier f27

In looking further into this topic and how IMO pertains to it...seems like it doesn't, it's relevant to larger vessels. So line of thought doesn't help much other than serve as a reminder that the Med is under substantial environmental stress so it's worth making an effort to keep things clean. Pleasure craft numbers are relatively small outside of marinas there in my experience so their impact would probably be quite a lot smaller.
To Zanshin, there is an annex in IMO regs pertaining to sewage discharge. You can google it if you're interested.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 02:51   #7
CFR

Hi i am sailing the baltic since many years and there was NEVER EVER any control on this even not in Germany where the coast like to control everything. furthermore old boats are mostly exempted from the actual regulation. I never heard about any control in the MED in the past. I wouldnt worry too much.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, water