Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 20:07   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Electronic Distress Flares

HI,

There's probably a discussion somewhere on CF about these but I can't find it as a heading on it's own if it is.

Do these flares meet required requirements to the extent that you can have these without having the pyrotechnic flares? Does anyone know?

Ocean Signal rescueME Electronic Distress Flare | Safety Equipment | Boating & RV

Range up to 7 miles
Up to 6 hours battery use
Superb 360 degree visibility in the Azimuth
Excellent visibility for aircraft and helicopter SAR
Waterproof to 10 meters
Four modes of operation plus SOS signalling
Advanced LED technology - Safe operation
Compact, rugged design
Constant brightness maintained throughout the life of the battery
Easy change replaceable battery
Battery test function
5 year manufacturing warranty
Battery TypeLithium PrimaryBattery ChemistryLiMnO2Operating life> 6 HoursOperating Temperature Range-20°C - +55°CStorage Temperature Range-30°C - +70°CWaterproof10m depth at +20°CWeight155g (5.5oz)Size187(h) x 42(diam)mm
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:01   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Electronic Distress Flares

Not yet legal in Oz as a replacement for traditional fares.
And yes, there was a thread about these or similar recently, maybe someone remembers...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Not yet SOLAS approved, but some earlier discussion can be found here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...re-133373.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-149303.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-120474.html
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Thanks, that's interesting reading.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:44   #5

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
HI,

There's probably a discussion somewhere on CF about these but I can't find it as a heading on it's own if it is.

Do these flares meet required requirements to the extent that you can have these without having the pyrotechnic flares? Does anyone know?

Ocean Signal rescueME Electronic Distress Flare | Safety Equipment | Boating & RV

Range up to 7 miles
Up to 6 hours battery use
Superb 360 degree visibility in the Azimuth
Excellent visibility for aircraft and helicopter SAR
Waterproof to 10 meters
Four modes of operation plus SOS signalling
Advanced LED technology - Safe operation
Compact, rugged design
Constant brightness maintained throughout the life of the battery
Easy change replaceable battery
Battery test function
5 year manufacturing warranty
Battery TypeLithium PrimaryBattery ChemistryLiMnO2Operating life> 6 HoursOperating Temperature Range-20°C - +55°CStorage Temperature Range-30°C - +70°CWaterproof10m depth at +20°CWeight155g (5.5oz)Size187(h) x 42(diam)mm
Hi there RC,

We have had our disagreements but this will not be one of them. Wholeheartedly agree that electronic flares and more particularly laser flares of the kind made by Greatland Laser, are FAR superior to traditional pyrotechnics. I am not a fan of pyros because… well it says it on the tin! They are PYRO technics. I have fired many of these in disposal areas/during training etc. and the rocket flares can be really dangerous in high winds or heavy seas, with a significant chance of disaster, even from the deck of a boat. For a liferaft? I have many times seen the hand signal flares drop molten material to the ground, and they ALWAYS get metal melting hot. Not so good in a flammable bucking rubber ring keeping you from drowning! Not to mention their only lasting moments and being unable to be directional. Lasers on the other hand last 40 hours or more, are waterproof to 60 meters, have an extremely long shelf life, can be seen for many miles, and most importantly can be directed at the bridge of distant passing ships or other rescue craft, including the mother craft if MOB.

Good post. Thanks.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Hi there RC,

We have had our disagreements but this will not be one of them. Wholeheartedly agree that electronic flares and more particularly laser flares of the kind made by Greatland Laser, are FAR superior to traditional pyrotechnics. I am not a fan of pyros because… well it says it on the tin! They are PYRO technics. I have fired many of these in disposal areas/during training etc. and the rocket flares can be really dangerous in high winds or heavy seas, with a significant chance of disaster, even from the deck of a boat. For a liferaft? I have many times seen the hand signal flares drop molten material to the ground, and they ALWAYS get metal melting hot. Not so good in a flammable bucking rubber ring keeping you from drowning! Not to mention their only lasting moments and being unable to be directional. Lasers on the other hand last 40 hours or more, are waterproof to 60 meters, have an extremely long shelf life, can be seen for many miles, and most importantly can be directed at the bridge of distant passing ships or other rescue craft, including the mother craft if MOB.

Good post. Thanks.
Hi, I'm sorry but I don't recall our 'disagreements' 😳 if i was rude to you I apologise.

I like the idea of these things, but I'll be keener to get a couple when they can completely replace the pyro' which I'm not keen on for the reasons you stated.

Those links above are good for a fuller discussion.

Cheers.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Hi, I'm sorry but I don't recall our 'disagreements' �� if i was rude to you I apologise.

I like the idea of these things, but I'll be keener to get a couple when they can completely replace the pyro' which I'm not keen on for the reasons you stated.

Those links above are good for a fuller discussion.

Cheers.
Not rude at all! I hoped it was not the other way around

And agree! Compact laser flares are part of my standard harness pouch and grab bag kit. I no longer pack pyro flares for a grab bag at all.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 07-08-2015, 04:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ just as an FYI . . . . The safety community has moved strongly away from the directional 'laser flares" (like the Great Lakes product) and completely toward "omni directional LED flares". The specs that have been approved by USCG (and under consideration by IMO/Solas) as a pyro replacement is for the omni design and does not approve the laser design.

The laser design created concerns for aviation safety, and for appearing to be just 'a random flickering light on the horizon' rather than more clearly a distress signal, and for needing to be actively used/aimed by the operator. The omni design addresses these concerns.

So, these are two quite different solutions for pyro replacement, and if you are still carring the old "laser flare" ( a la Great Lakes" I would suggest you take a look at the much more accepted (and USCG approved) omni products.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:21   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

For those of you who already have the Sirius Signal SOS Distress light or the Ocean Signal Rescue Me light, how visible are these in the daytime? And are they sized that they can be attached to an inflatable PFD full time or are they too large for that?
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ just as an FYI . . . . The safety community has moved strongly away from the directional 'laser flares" (like the Great Lakes product) and completely toward "omni directional LED flares". The specs that have been approved by USCG (and under consideration by IMO/Solas) as a pyro replacement is for the omni design and does not approve the laser design.

The laser design created concerns for aviation safety, and for appearing to be just 'a random flickering light on the horizon' rather than more clearly a distress signal, and for needing to be actively used/aimed by the operator. The omni design addresses these concerns.

So, these are two quite different solutions for pyro replacement, and if you are still carring the old "laser flare" ( a la Great Lakes" I would suggest you take a look at the much more accepted (and USCG approved) omni products.
Understand this… but I don't share their concerns. I am not a US citizen and rarely sail there (though do occaisionally and was there a few weeks back). The great land laser has a beam spread of 7 degrees for extra visibility, yes it does need active user input, but would be impossible NOT to notice from a bridge, and would provide an excellent vector back to a MOB for the parent vessel. I use this in conjunction with personal and liferaft packed EPIRBS and PFD mounted SARTS. I don't think I'll be bringing down aircraft with it anytie soon!

Happy to have a look at any reasonable new product of course.
Old 19-01-2016, 01:11   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
For those of you who already have the Sirius Signal SOS Distress light or the Ocean Signal Rescue Me light, how visible are these in the daytime? And are they sized that they can be attached to an inflatable PFD full time or are they too large for that?
Ed
A bit large--there's a video we have here in this blog post on our site. We also sell the Sirius Signal elsewhere on the site.
Old 19-01-2016, 04:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Thank, for this links!!!
Oshian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 09:43   #13

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Understand this… but I don't share their concerns. I am not a US citizen and rarely sail there (though do occaisionally and was there a few weeks back). The great land laser has a beam spread of 7 degrees for extra visibility, yes it does need active user input, but would be impossible NOT to notice from a bridge, and would provide an excellent vector back to a MOB for the parent vessel. I use this in conjunction with personal and liferaft packed EPIRBS and PFD mounted SARTS. I don't think I'll be bringing down aircraft with it anytie soon!

Happy to have a look at any reasonable new product of course.
The issue for shining a laser to a plane is that it temporarily, and some times permanently, impairs the vision of the pilots or rescue watchers in the planes. While it would definitely get attention initially on a ship's bridge it would also blind the helmsman and any other crew on deck or the bridge. Then they will NOT want to watch where it was coming from as you can imagine. They may or may not think it is a signal flare. And all of this has absolutely no bearing on any country's regulations or lack of regulations. They are seriously cracking down on lasers in the US and Canada and I believe in other countries as well.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 09:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Ed
One I have is in reality nothing more than a good LED CREE flashlight, they give you a little orange panel that is your daytime distress signal. You could easily carry it, it's about the same size as an old fashioned 2D cell flashlight, with a flotation ring attached.
I only got mine to be legal and not worry so much about expired flares, I do not intend for it to be serious distress signal, I will always default to flares and smoke for that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 19:24   #15

I need flares in Fiji and cannot ship either via sea or air and stuck with the poor choice, and prohibitively expensive local offerings. The laser sounds like a good alternative as I have no intention of going to the USA

Who makes the omni versions with USA availability?
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress