Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 04:56   #46

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCruiser2 View Post
I guess the wrinkle I'm interested in is checking out of one country using my US passport and headed for, say, French Polynesia I get an exit document that, I presume, says I'm a US citizen. I have to show that exit document (I forget what it's called) when I go into French Polynesia, but I'll want to use my UK passport for entry. That will confuse some officials, I'm sure. Will it actually cause a legal problem?
Do not worry about clearing out of one country with one passport and into the following country with another passport.

I do it all the time and in fact have just done it out of Galapagos with my South American passport and into French Polynesia with my European passport. Of course if you need to show crew lists the you need to have different versions for each country. This works fine every time.

Only wrinkles is that some countries (eg Ecuador) may want to see exit passport stamp from previous country. This means you have to have the other passport with you to show that stamp if needed.
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 05:03   #47

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
Your UK passport will list "United States" on the photo page under "Other Citizenships" (or some very similar phrase - don't have mine to hand to check). Show them that and all will be explained.
There are several dual nationals in my family (including UK) and I am yet to see a UK passport that mentions the other citizenship of the holder. Another story is that UK passports (as most passports) show birthplace, which can be a clue to a other citizenship.

You may be thinking about the legend in the UK passport that describes the type of UK- related citizenship that you have, be it British Citizen, British National, etc.

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 05:32   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Dual passports

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
Your UK passport will list "United States" on the photo page under "Other Citizenships" (or some very similar phrase - don't have mine to hand to check). Show them that and all will be explained.
Nope, that is not printed on a UK passport ( or any harmonised EU passport of which the UK is one of )

dave
Old 22-05-2014, 06:05   #49

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Nope, that is not printed on a UK passport ( or any harmonised EU passport of which the UK is one of )

dave

+1 .. Not printed on mine either

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 22-05-2014, 06:22   #50

Curious - I've certainly seen it before (some years ago now admittedly - in that case it was "French").
pdf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 08:01   #51

Boat: Tai Chiao 41, 50 ft overall

Thanks again, all. I am reassured.
FutureCruiser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 09:44   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
You may be thinking about the legend in the UK passport that describes the type of UK- related citizenship that you have, be it British Citizen, British National, etc.

C
Would someone please explain the difference between a citizen & a national?

Thanks,
Jim
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 09:53   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Would someone please explain the difference between a citizen & a national?

Thanks,
Jim

A National has no claim to citizenship, although they may have many of the same benefits. A US national, for example, would be someone from Puerto Rico or the Philippines.
Old 24-05-2014, 12:40   #54

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
A National has no claim to citizenship, although they may have many of the same benefits. A US national, for example, would be someone from Puerto Rico or the Philippines.

Um, not to my recollection, or to my quick check of the US statutes as archived by Cornell. Puerto Ricans are US citizens under a statute passed in the 1940s. Residents of PR cannot vote for the US president, but on the other hand do not have to pay federal taxes. If I moved there from Rhode Island, that would apply to me. If a Puerto Rican moved to Rhode Island, they would pay the IRS and get to vote in US federal elections.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 12:47   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
Um, not to my recollection, or to my quick check of the US statutes as archived by Cornell. Puerto Ricans are US citizens under a statute passed in the 1940s. Residents of PR cannot vote for the US president, but on the other hand do not have to pay federal taxes. If I moved there from Rhode Island, that would apply to me. If a Puerto Rican moved to Rhode Island, they would pay the IRS and get to vote in US federal elections.

It appears that we're both half right and half wrong

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/us-national.html
Old 24-05-2014, 13:12   #56

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
It appears that we're both half right and half wrong

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/us-national.html

? Your link confirms what I posted about Puerto Ricans. It further states that Filipinos are neither US citizens nor US nationals (the part of your post I did not address). Interesting to know about Swain Islanders, though...
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 13:23   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim-
I think what they are calling a "national" is what we call a "resident alien" in the US. Someone who is allowed to reside here indefinitely, but does not have citizenship.

Cavalier-
I think you've been out of touch too long. "A US national, for example, would be someone from Puerto Rico or the Philippines. "
Puerto Rico is technically a US Insular Possession (one of 11 such) and a war prize taken from Spain. It is US territory, and as such Puerto Ricans are US citizens. On the other hand, the Philippines started out as a Spanish conquest and then, short from from the Wiki "As the 19th century gave way to the 20th, there followed in quick succession the Philippine Revolution, which spawned the short-lived First Philippine Republic, and the Philippine–American War. Aside from the period of Japanese occupation, the United States retained sovereignty over the islands. After World War II, the Philippines was recognized as an independent nation."

The Philippines are NOT a part of the US, so Filipinos are Filipinos, not US citizens, nationals, or anything related to the US. Relations between the two countries have gone from paternal to frigid and most places in between.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 13:27   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jim-
I think what they are calling a "national" is what we call a "resident alien" in the US. Someone who is allowed to reside here indefinitely, but does not have citizenship.

Cavalier-
I think you've been out of touch too long. "A US national, for example, would be someone from Puerto Rico or the Philippines. "
Puerto Rico is technically a US Insular Possession (one of 11 such) and a war prize taken from Spain. It is US territory, and as such Puerto Ricans are US citizens. On the other hand, the Philippines started out as a Spanish conquest and then, short from from the Wiki "As the 19th century gave way to the 20th, there followed in quick succession the Philippine Revolution, which spawned the short-lived First Philippine Republic, and the Philippine–American War. Aside from the period of Japanese occupation, the United States retained sovereignty over the islands. After World War II, the Philippines was recognized as an independent nation."

The Philippines are NOT a part of the US, so Filipinos are Filipinos, not US citizens, nationals, or anything related to the US. Relations between the two countries have gone from paternal to frigid and most places in between.

That'll teach me to listen to the retired immigration officer who lives on our street - I should have known better!

So to the OP, please read my response from the perspective of someone asking the question from 1934!
Old 06-04-2021, 14:16   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

dave
Yea its not on mine....nor is it on any US passport information. It is required in some immigration and security type documents but nothing others outside the countries would see.
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports