Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 11:32   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Boat: Catalina 42 MK II
Posts: 5
Drivers License

My intention is to do some cruising and when I do, I will have no physical address in the US. How does one maintain a drivers license? I'm sire there are volumes written about this but I could not find a way to search the archives.


Mike Vaccaro
1995 Catalina 42 MKII
Annapolis, MD
vaccfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41   #2
Senior Cruiser
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,735
Images: 122
In some States one can use a PO box for an address, other states not!. You'll just have to check with the State that your residing.

Otherwise, some use relatives (parents, aunts/uncles, bro/sister) as a mail port for cruising. There are some mail services out there too.

This has been brought up and is in the archives!

BTW Welcome aboard!..................._/)

Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:04   #3
Eternal Member
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Can you use your mother's address, or your brothers? I think you get the idea.....
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:07   #4
Registered User
Fishspearit's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 576
Mike, the best way to search the archives is with google, type in your key words such as "mail forwarding" and then type
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11   #5
Marine Service Provider
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
You can use a relatives address especially if it is the same state as your current license. But check first since some states require you own a vehicle and carry insurance to keep your license, especially the insurance issue. we use our mail forwarding address which is in Floriduh. When we leave Texas we will change drivers license and auto tags there.
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Boat: Catalina 42 MK II
Posts: 5
Thank you all for the response.
Mike Vaccaro
1995 Catalina 42 MKII
Annapolis, MD
vaccfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:57   #7
Registered User
Thermal's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Honolulu
Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
Posts: 157
Images: 1
You were asking about a driver's license - and for that you really don't need an address to have one, just to get it in the first place. Yes, you need an "address" for all sorts of other reasons, and there were many good suggestions for that. You could "lose" your current one shortly before you leave, pay the money, take the test for a replacement and then should not have to worry about renewing for 7 years
In theory, Practice and Theory are the same. In practice, they are not.
Thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 10:36   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW FL
Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
Posts: 93
In Florida...a Post Office Box is acceptable for a Drivers License. I have it on my FL license. You can also set up a box at somewhere like St. Brendan's Isle
Mail Forwarding at St. Brendan's Isle - Serving RVer's Cruiser's &amp Travelers since 1988: Mail Forwarding, Mail Forwarding Services, that's our specialty! and that address will be acceptable to the state for a FL drivers license. Its possible that they may ask for a "physical address" as well, but maybe not. It someone at a DL office tells you that you cannot use a PO Box....ask for their supervisor, because the dolt who tells you that is in error.
Forrest Gump was a true philosopher...
Just a Tinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 11:42   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,931
Images: 54
Florida "Declaration of Domicile"

As the Tinch says, a mail forwarding service like St. Brendan's Isle can come in handy.

We've had a Personal Mail Box (PMB) with SBI since moving to Nevis. It's not considered to be a "Post Office Box", exactly. FedEx and UPS will deliver to it, for example. It works as a "billing address" for U.S. credit cards, too.

We had SBI file a "Declaration of Domicile" application with the Clerk of the Court in Clay County, where our PMB is located. For $10 each, plus SBI's $15 fee, we're now official residents of the great state of Florida. We'll be traveling to Florida this fall, so we'll go to a state Drivers License office and apply for our drivers' licenses at that time. The Domicile application can be done by mail, but you have to show up in person to apply for a driver's license.

This is a good solution for a U.S. citizen who lives outside the country longterm.
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 03:37   #10
Registered User
waterworldly's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York City/Bimini
Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Posts: 441
ATTENTION AUSSIES: Is it possible to get a Australian Driver's license and not be a citizen? It used to be possible here in Florida for foreign nationals, and would be really handy for those traveling around whose DR's expire while in your area. Also, if that is possible, how long is the term of the license for? Thanks!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 16:37   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,734
There is another "gotcha" with drivers' licenses in the US. Many states use them as a list of RESIDENTS, who are legally obligated to serve on JURY DUTY every couple of years. Some states allow one postponement and no exemptions, so if you get a driver's license in one of those states, you may find out one day that you MUST fly home for jury duty. No excuses, no times limits, typically a $100-200 summons for not obeying the first time--but no guarantee about that either.

hellosailor is online now   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skipper license? whitecaps General Sailing Forum 18 19-06-2012 02:14
License for Boating?#%#@%&^ heron237 Training, Licensing & Certification 130 30-03-2008 07:05
A license should be required... GreatKetch Construction, Maintenance & Refit 20 27-11-2007 04:31
New UK Boatmasters License GordMay Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 24 13-02-2007 17:35
when a license expires.... bobola Training, Licensing & Certification 1 26-09-2006 03:31

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.