Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2008, 19:34   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
there are phone numbers in every state, usually either Dept. Of Transportation or Corps. of Engineers to report abusive or uncooperative bridge tenders since vessel safety can be an issue. When you have a problem, record the place, time and date and report it. The problem will go away the next time you come through.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 03:21   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the “Windoc: Bridge Accident:

In 2001, while traveling through the Welland Canal, the “Windoc” collided with Bridge 11 in Allanburg, Ontario. The accident produced a large fire on board, shredding the lift-bridge, and tearing the bridge off the vessel. The “Windoc” subsequently was declared a total loss.

The story:
Welland Canal Transits: Windoc collision
And:
The Windoc - Lift Bridge Accident

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 22:26   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
My First Favorite was in Fort Liquordale in 1991.

The captain and I were aboard a sailing yacht that was undergoing a refit.

We were up the New River.....had the VHF on and heard the following.

"17th street draw bridge 17th street draw bridge" "This is Motor Vessel Gotsumbucks"

"Go ahead Gotsumbucks"

"This is Gotsumbucks....what time is your 12 o'clock bridge opening?"

"This is 17th street draw bridge back to Gotsumbucks...our 12 o'clock bridge opening is at <pause> uh.....TWELVE O'CLOCK.....Captain."

"This is Motor Vessel Gotsumbucks....Roger over and out"
Old 24-11-2008, 17:31   #34

Boat: Catalac 9m - "Kellytime"
I too have been up and down the ICW numerous times and usually have no problems with the bridge tenders (wife does the talking). However, one of my better memories is appraoching the open bridge of Lions in St Augustine and having the bridge closed a few yard before going through with no warning. After holding my position for an hour in a N'Easter they finally opened the bridge for me, only to have a jerk get out of his vehicle and give me the finger yelling at me to hurry up!
Old 24-11-2008, 18:55   #35

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Mark Twain said it best: "It's not that there are too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't adjusted right." One can only hope for recalibrated lightning for said fool. 'Course, I suppose you could have slowed down and asked what it was the fool was yelling. And really, really tick him off.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 16:18   #36

Boat: Catalac 9m - "Kellytime"
Not a bad idea. I could have sat there and carried on a "discussion" with him until the other motorists decided he was the problem. But the wind was coming up, it was cold, and home was only a few hours a way, so off I went waving merrily goodbye.
Old 29-11-2008, 09:42   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The following is info from the USCG regarding an incident at the Ben Sawyer bridge and instructs individuals to send a "written, first hand account" on the incident including all details and the problem should be fixed. Phone calls are discouraged and probably will not bring any results.

Bridges in South Carolina fall under the jurisdiction of the 7th Coast Guard District bridge office. The name address of the chief of the office is:

As you can see in the Federal Regulations for that bridge (33cfr117.911), except for weekday rush hours, and Saturday and Sunday hourly openings, that bridge is required to open “on signal”:

Outside of the periods of restricted operation shown above, 33cfr117.5 says:

While most bridge tenders are courteous and professional in doing their jobs, occasionally we find the rogue operator like this one. The only way to get that fixed is to get written complaints sent to the CG district bridge office – in this case the office in Miami. When boaters complain to each other, nothing will happen. When they complain to the Coast Guard about a bridge tender violating the federal bridge regulations, then the C.G. will get the bridge owner (i.e., the bridge tender’s bosses!) to fix the problem.

Please note that a verbal phone complain is not worth the paper that it is written on! Any boater experiencing problems at the Ben Sawyer bridge really needs to put the complaint in writing – either an e-mail or snail mail will do. First person or direct witness complaints will cause action – I wouldn’t bother sending in third person (hearsay) complaints.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: