Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 06:59   #31

Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
OTOH the cruise ship takes responsibility for such details. I am pretty certain that one is not allowed aboard a cruise ship with weapons.
Responsibility when something goes wrong - sure. But that goes unseen? The immigration check is non existent coming off a cruise ship compared with a private vessel in a destination port.

Just saying, these small countries have multiple sets of standards...
jb cruzan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 07:05   #32

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post
Responsibility when something goes wrong - sure. But that goes unseen? The immigration check is non existent coming off a cruise ship compared with a private vessel in a destination port.

All countries have multiple sets of standards.

goat
goat is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 07:12   #33

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It's protection in the US where we have the right to bear arms. In the Bahamas the laws of their country prohibit arms. Therefore bringing in arms against their laws (or circumventing their laws) is smuggling.
Seem to have read several posts from people checking in Bahamas and declaring firearms and ammunition. I think that is the legal/lawful way to do this.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 07:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Everyone who wants to take my guns wants to use the guns of their government to do it.
Well golly gee wizz imagine that. We have countries where law abiding citizens don't carry guns. Then we have gun totin Americans coming in to such countries waving their guns. And when they don't declare them and the host country enforces their laws, folks get upset and start trash talking about the law enforcement carrying weapons.

Now if YOU were a law enforcement officer, looking at such (in their view) wild west hooligans carrying firearms, wouldn't YOU be carrying a gun? In such countries only non-law abiding citizens (criminals) have guns, and the government has the RIGHT to have and use weapons to protect their LAW ABIDING citizens.

If it were ME, and I were in charge of such countries, I would tell the wild west American hooligans to leave their weapons at home. You, as an American, have no AUTOMATIC right to carry a weapon in any country other than the US. You are allowed to do so because they are kind enough to write laws SPECIFICALLY to allow that.

In many cases their own citizens are not allowed what you are allowed. Think about THAT.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 07:21   #35

What a bizarre thread. There are actually literate Americans that believe the laws of the United States are the laws of the entire world. Fortunately I'm assuming those people don't travel much and so I'm unlikely to meet them.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 07:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post

Immigration paperwork is handled at the other end for cruise ships. I know that for leaving the country via the airlines, you have to show your passport before even getting on the plane.

Required Travel Documents for Cruise Passengers - Royal Caribbean International

OTOH any yahoo can get on a sailboat and sail into the bahamas. So of course they are going to spend more time looking at you than they do a tourist coming ashore for a few hours.
Old 19-08-2015, 07:51   #37

Boat: OEM, proportional

The original post was intended to show what happens when you don't declare your guns. And for that, instantly under attack from the usual anti-gunners. When the law abiding gun owners chip into the defense, they are vilified for it. Is something wrong here? If it matters that much to you, go confiscate the guns yourself; or just leave them alone.

Old 19-08-2015, 08:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The original post was intended to show what happens when you don't declare your guns. And for that, instantly under attack from the usual anti-gunners. When the law abiding gun owners chip into the defense, they are vilified for it. Is something wrong here? If it matters that much to you, go confiscate the guns yourself; or just leave them alone.

They aren't law abiding citizens when they smuggle weapons into foreign countries, they're only law abiding when they have those weapons in Texas or wherever.

Most of the world views concealable guns as something only government and criminals need.

Nobodies saying the US should change their laws, just that Americans should try to respect the laws of countries they visit. If they don't, they may well be viewed by the authorities as violent criminals.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Is something wrong here?
IMHO the only thing wrong is that folks are so insecure they have to have a gun under their pillow (or down their pants) to make themselves feel better.

And that they have to take those guns out into the world to make themselves feel better.

Waaaaaaaaaay more Americans do not carry guns than do. Take that out into the rest of the world and you will find that law abiding folks carrying guns are a vanishingly small percentage. And of all those folks outside of the US who ARE carrying guns (discounting armed conflicts), an astonishingly high percentage of THEM ARE Americans.

So yea, what exactly is wrong with this picture?
Old 19-08-2015, 08:06   #40

Boat: 2011 Meridian 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
OTOH the cruise ship takes responsibility for such details. I am pretty certain that one is not allowed aboard a cruise ship with weapons.
Quite true. I had to remove a dive knife from my bags once boarding a cruise ship. I was lucky that the cruise terminal security company held if for me until we returned. Otherwise I would have had to toss it. They do their diligence to make sure passengers don't bring weapons aboard. And I'm sure they do declare whatever weapons the ship security officers have aboard.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:09   #41

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Wow, look at this - a gun stream that didn't go off the rails.

There's an old joke about inmates who numbered their jokes because after all these years, everyone knew them. Saved time. Folks would laugh at # 10 but groan when # 33 was called.

Maybe folks here should just number their personal beliefs on guns and post same. It isn't as though we haven't heard both sides ad nauseum.

I bet it gets closed in 3....2.....1.......
Old 19-08-2015, 08:14   #42

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

It is incumbent upon the Master of the vessel to inform all crew and passengers of the need to declare what they have brought along.

In some cases this could have ended very badly for the owner of the vessel. A long legal battle to return a seized vessel could have been the bottom line.

It's easy to forget some items but if the captain is on his toes this shouldn't happen.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:15   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

We live in the Bahamas and cruise and charter our 43 ft catamaran. We do carry a rifle aboard but are careful to claim this and each round of amo when clearing in. Last fall, we claimed over 250 rounds of amo because we carry all the amo on board as we are not allowed to have this in out house in the islands. This was never a problem before last year but now, they limit the amo at 250 rounds. The rest they took and gave us a receipt for. We can claim these in Nassau on the return to the US.
We have been boarded in the past and each round counted as well as the gun's serial number checked.
In the Bahamas, we are allowed the gun on the boat as ships equipment but, it is a serious offense if we took this to the house. As a resident, we are allowed to have a shot gun only, by filling out the proper forms and being approved.
davecalvert is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:20   #44

What happens in the Bahamas when you do declare that you have firearms aboard? Do they "hold" them until you depart?
medevicerep is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:22   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post

I actually just returned from the Bahamas, but I have no intention of not going back to one of my favorite places. The biggest danger in the Bahamas is the political idiocy in Nassau, but one could say the same about Washington D.C. In the states.

crabcake is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas