Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 05:56   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

Please let's not let this turn into yet another gun thread, where we debate their uses or whether or not they should be allowed.

I believe the intent was to warn others what the possible consequences are if you don't declare a firearm.
I'd add that in my opinion that $10,000 is light, and I'd just take a guess that it may not be over, possible there may be other consequences forthcoming? I'd rather not be in their shoes, and feel for the Captain as I assume he may have had no idea of their existence.
Makes me re-think guests, maybe I should be adamant about no drugs or weapons, Up to this point I had assumed a logical person would know better?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:00   #17

I do not get it. Why would you not declare your firearms? when I was there it was no big deal, they did not even come to the boat to look
motion30 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:07   #18

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I do not get it. Why would you not declare your firearms? when I was there it was no big deal, they did not even come to the boat to look

That is the million dollar question. I can't even begin to guess, although many Americans show up at the airport with guns they forgot they were carrying.

Another quesstion is, Why did the p-44 leaave the dock?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:11   #19

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
So, are they unarmed?

If so the crew of the Mia were very civilized in not ordering the crew of the P-44 off their boat at gunpoint.
That's an amazing statement.
You are in a foreign country. A law enforcement agency of that country tries to enforce the law of that country and you recommend the use of firearms to solve the problem?
Please let me know where you travel to so I can be somewhere else.
Old 19-08-2015, 06:11   #20

Quote:
The issue is whether a party has malicious intent.
Malicious intent is generally irrelevant when it comes to customs and excise.

It comes down to did you or did you not bring undeclared and illegal goods into the country.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:17   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
So, are they unarmed?

If so the crew of the Mia were very civilized in not ordering the crew of the P-44 off their boat at gunpoint.
The insanity of comments like this show how a good thread quickly turns into garbage.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Please let's not let this turn into yet another gun thread, where we debate their uses or whether or not they should be allowed.

I believe the intent was to warn others what the possible consequences are if you don't declare a firearm.
I'd add that in my opinion that $10,000 is light, and I'd just take a guess that it may not be over, possible there may be other consequences forthcoming? I'd rather not be in their shoes, and feel for the Captain as I assume he may have had no idea of their existence.
Makes me re-think guests, maybe I should be adamant about no drugs or weapons, Up to this point I had assumed a logical person would know better?
I also worry about guests having drugs on board when traveling outside the country. I'm quite certain I don't have any friends that are daft enough to bring concealed weapons into foreign countries, but a joint in their purse I wouldn't be so confident of.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
You are in a foreign country. A law enforcement agency of that country tries to enforce the law of that country and you recommend the use of firearms to solve the problem?

I travel in the Bahamas.

I don't understand your statement. I said the crew was civilized not to use guns. The Bahamian government, however, did exactly that. They used firearms to enforce the law.

Are you really leaving the Bahamas?
Old 19-08-2015, 06:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The insanity of comments like this show how a good thread quickly turns into garbage.
They had guns and they did not use them. They remained civilized.
Old 19-08-2015, 06:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:33   #26

Probably a guest forgot to mention they had them with them and the were too easily found in a bag etc.

Too many places to hide them otherwise on an 86-er.

We don't know how the confrontation went. Was the crew and captain polite and apologetic? Or were they rude and disparaging? SOmetimes you can help yourself in these situations, sometimes not.

First impression is impounding boat arresting and fining them is a little harsh. But it's their country, you don't like it? Follow the rules or don't go.

I say harsh because when you get a cruise ship coming in, they don't check squat, it's all about the touri$m.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 06:35   #27

Quote:
I travel in the Bahamas.

I don't understand your statement. I said the crew was civilized not to use guns. The Bahamian government, however, did exactly that. They used firearms to enforce the law.

Are you really leaving the Bahamas?
Jason, Most of the world considers it civilized not to HAVE guns, AT ALL. Only in the wild west US do we have citizens who measure the size of their gonads by the size of the guns that they can pull out of their pocket.

To say that the crew remained civilized because they did not start shooting the law enforcement officers who boarded their vehicle just demonstrates the bizarre mindset of our gun totin citizens.
Old 19-08-2015, 06:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post
I say harsh because when you get a cruise ship coming in, they don't check squat, it's all about the touri$m.
OTOH the cruise ship takes responsibility for such details. I am pretty certain that one is not allowed aboard a cruise ship with weapons.
Old 19-08-2015, 06:40   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:

So, are they unarmed?

When first reading this, it seemed to me that your meaning was that the only reason the Mia crew did what they were told was because the BDF personnel were armed.
Along with that, it seemed that you were in favor of the Mia crew using their own weapons if the BDF were unarmed. I do not think of avoiding the use of firearms as "very civilized", but just normal behavior.

If that was not what you meant, please accept my apologies for misinterpreting your post.

I actually just returned from the Bahamas, but I have no intention of not going back to one of my favorite places. The biggest danger in the Bahamas is the political idiocy in Nassau, but one could say the same about Washington D.C. In the states.
Old 19-08-2015, 06:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Jason, Most of the world considers it civilized not to HAVE guns, AT ALL. Only in the wild west US do we have citizens who measure the size of their gonads by the size of the guns that they can pull out of their pocket.

To say that the crew remained civilized because they did not start shooting the law enforcement officers who boarded their vehicle just demonstrates the bizarre mindset of our gun totin citizens.
I have to go to work so I'll keep it short.

The first part of your statement is patently false. Most of the world's governments are armed. Very armed.

My comment about the crew remaining civilized stems from an early post where Tignum (sp) said that the Bahamian government officials didn't need guns because they were as big as NFL linebackers. But trust me, no matter how big they were they had guns.

Everyone who wants to take my guns wants to usee the guns of their government to do it.

Now, as A64 said, let's let this thread be a reminder to declare your guns in the Bahamas.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas