Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 10:42   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

OK, Guys and Gals, please keep your personal beliefs out of it, or your posts will simply be deleted.
But this I think a viable thread, is about cruising, doesn't hurt to remind us all every now and again that some things we think are OK, aren't in other parts of the world.
Ignorance is no excuse for the law, or something like that?
Myself it highlighted maybe I best make darn sure I know what my guests have on them, I could lose my boat over their bad habits, or in some parts of the world it could be worse.
I've flown through airports in some parts of the world where they have posters reminding you that drug smuggling is punishable by Death for example.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 10:43   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Thanks for posting your comments above.

I have a few sincere and friendly questions for you, based on your experience. My questions are purely curiosity and I have no ulterior motive. Since you may have dealt with the authorities numerous times on the declaration of firearms in the Bahamas, I would like to know more, from your POV and experience.

The following questions are asked in a friendly, but curious tone of voice. I am not judging you.

What is the stated reason for having the rifle aboard the boat? Security? Hunting wild pigs? Target practice or entertainment while cruising? Do the officials ever comment on this or express opinions? Etc.

Do the local authorities make any comments to you about the rifle versus handguns? In other words do they say or confide or suggest that long guns or sporting rifles or shotguns are more acceptable on a boat in the Bahamas?

Is there ever any comment or question why you have 250 rounds of ammo onboard? How is it explained? Why have 250 rounds on a boat?

I would also like to know what the attitude is if the number of rounds decreases? IOW do the authorities track how many rounds you have aboard and question when and why you fire rounds between counts?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 10:46   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Friendly suggestion follows:

You are new to the forum. Welcome.

The Gun Threads have been frequent, many, lengthy, contentious, and full of varying options, opinions, anecdotes, and arguments.
You could spend many hours reading them all.

They often get closed down or locked due to hostility and politicization of the discussions.

My suggestion?
Use the google Custom Search function I told you about earlier, and search the forum on key words Guns and weapons.
Thanks. I'm looking into it now.
So far from what I've gathered ..... not allot of people seem to need anything in the form of self defence. This is a great thing honestly. I would have thought a few people have been boarded by thieves or something along those lines in a those 3rd world countries. A few of the countries I have been to, a gun would be a good thing to have. Iraq, Israeli, Kuwait and a few others. Some of the EU places I have been too .... It would not. Greece, Italy, etc etc. Just getting a feel for what it's like out there.
SailingJeeper is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 10:47   #94

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Just to be precise, as I read the sign at customs you could not bring two handguns. It said you are allowed one rifle, one hand gun, and 250 rounds of ammo.
I know that at least two handguns were allowed early this year. The PDF document titled '2013 Customs Management Regulation' on the Bahamas government website says max three rifles, handguns, or shotguns and 250 rounds for each.

Tariff Book and Other Documents - Customs Department - Government

I can't find a newer document on that website.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:53   #95

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by medevicerep View Post
What happens in the Bahamas when you do declare that you have firearms aboard? Do they "hold" them until you depart?
No. You keep them onboard.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 10:53   #96

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I would also like to know what the attitude is if the number of rounds decreases? IOW do the authorities track how many rounds you have aboard and question when and why you fire rounds between counts?
If they board and count, and they do that, you are in deep doodoo.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:54   #97

The sign I am referring to was printed locally and taped to the window at Bimini customs. No idea if it is enforced or even real policy.
RainDog is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 10:57   #98

Boat: Rinker 24

Kinda interesting thread, I looked at it this morning when it was only one page long and now it is up to 7.

So it sounds like the basic issue is that the boat carried a couple undeclared items which happened to be guns. Said guns were then confiscated, some people got yelled at, told they were lucky they have large amounts of cash to exchange for freedom, and everyone has gone on their way.

It seems like it would have been a similar outcome if the undeclared items were booze, cigarettes, medical equipment, or anything else that is taxed or regulated.

However, had this been a couple cases of bourbon instead I doubt the thread would have gone 7 pages and counting!
MBWhite is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:05   #99
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
That was my assumption but just wondered if that was when they entered Bahamian waters but had not cleared. It's a common plan.
Another article - Guns seized and guests arrested on luxury yacht in The Bahamas | Boat International

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:14   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
However, had this been a couple cases of bourbon instead I doubt the thread would have gone 7 pages and counting!
Alas the 5% always ruins this topic for the 95% of us that would prefer a rational conversation.
Old 19-08-2015, 11:14   #101

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Hmmm, the rules on carrying firearms in Bahamas - and having to declare - seem pretty straightforward. A month or so ago there was a thread on declaring firearms in countries, and Bahamas was reported to be fairly smooth by several people with firsthand experience.

http://www.waterwayguide.com/latest-...-13-2015-final

I am more concerned about this new regulation, which requires you have to declare having more than $10k cash on board. Yeah, I know it's a lot of cash, but if you are spending an entire season down there, in the Exumas and other islands that don't subsist on credit cards, you might feasibly carry this much to cover potential repairs, etc. Gotta think it makes you are target for thieves - as I don't suspect the forms are kept in high security. In some respects, might be the same for the guys carrying/declaring the guns onboard.

That said, to get back on topic, I do have a CHL in Texas (yeah, I know, blah, blah, blah), and it's mostly for the long road trips and the concern of being breakdown stranded very late at night, and someone thinking they have a great opportunity to prey on an old guy. The CHL is so that I can carry it when I go inside a restaurant or gas station, and not leave it in the truck for someone to steal along with the truck. (And then be responsible for providing someone a loaded gun.) I do carry it in the boat on long cruises as well. Note that in Texas, concealed carry in your car, your house and your boat are all ok as per the Castle Doctrine. I just went the extra effort to take the classes and get registered.

Ok, so all that said, my worse nightmare would be to shoot someone in a foreign country. As such, I am considering leaving it at home when we go to the Bahamas. Actually, I am considering carrying it until we get all the way thru Florida, and shipping it home with some other personal belongings before we cross.

The non-declaring guys were idiots. Or unknown to Captain, which is another lesson to us all.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:25   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I am more concerned about this new regulation, which requires you have to declare having more than $10k cash on board. Yeah, I know it's a lot of cash, but if you are spending an entire season down there, in the Exumas and other islands that don't subsist on credit cards, you might feasibly carry this
Forget repairs. $10k barely even covers your smuggling fines. Or in the case of a boat like in the story, 4 days of gas.
Old 19-08-2015, 11:25   #103

Quote:
I am more concerned about this new regulation, which requires you have to declare having more than $10k cash on board.
As you say you only have to declare it (you can have as much cash on board as you like) and might be prepared to be asked where it comes from and what you are doing with it.

If you can show a bank statement with the withdrawal for instance you will have no problems ...

Regards,

Carsten

PS: And this is $10k per person ...
CarstenWL is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:25   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Alas the 5% always ruins this topic for the 95% of us that would prefer a rational conversation.
I have to assume you are joking? Here you are making such a statement after 7 pages of rants and raves? That is pure entertainment. It didn't ruin the entertainment, it IS the entertainment!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:27   #105
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Just out of personal interest, which university did you attend?

OK I'm not in interested in getting into this subject at all, but that there was funny.
Tellie is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas