Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2015, 10:21   #196

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

I'd be checking any crew thoroughly before sailing, for illegal weapons, drugs, dodgy papers, and any signs of being crazier than me. Any quality rum or baccy to be noted in the log, in case I run out (unlikely).

Old 20-08-2015, 10:33   #197

Boat: Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
It is exactly and precisely the JOB of law enforcement to enforce laws. To do that they NEED to carry weapons. It is NOT my job. I have never been deputized, carried a badge, asked by law enforcement to enforce the laws, nor needed a gun for protection. The VAST majority of Americans feel the same way. A SMALL (but VERY VOCAL) minority of Americans feel otherwise.

To me, it is sad that they feel that way.

The rest of the world does not even think about the issue.
Funny, most polls I've seen say that the majority of Americans believe that gun ownership is a Right and should remain legal. maybe it's the area you live in that has skewed your views.

As to what you wrote, the Police are not required to protect you, just ask the Supreme Court. You, and only you, are responsible for your protection. If you feel that calling the police is the way to accomplish that, then you are totally within your rights (just remember what the Supreme Court stated).

And last but not least remember the old saying "when seconds count, the police are minutes away".

Old 20-08-2015, 10:40   #198

[QUOTE=Sailmonkey;1894429]It's protection in the US where we have the right to bear arms. In the Bahamas the laws of their country prohibit arms. Therefore bringing in arms against their laws (or circumventing their laws) is smuggling.

The article said "Failing to Declare the firearms upon arrival"; not that its prohibited, but you must declare you have weapons on board for protection.
Old 20-08-2015, 10:43   #199

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolkano View Post
The article said "Failing to Declare the firearms upon arrival"; not that its prohibited, but you must declare you have weapons on board for protection.
Welcome to CF, Joolkano!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2015, 11:13   #200
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Maybe Trump can extend the wall to the Bahamas.....to make it safe for Americans to carry guns :-)
LOL!

Done deal... And he'll make the THEM pay for it, no less...

;-)
Old 20-08-2015, 11:23   #201

A lot of foreigners reading these posts are probably starting to realize that America is really fifty different countries, with very different cultures and views in different regions, constantly trying to find a consensus for government that seems to elude us more and more.

And to bring it to the Bahamas, people would ask me if I got homesick when I was there for extended periods. I would always say that the Bahamas, and the people who live there, were a lot more like where I grew up, than a lot of the cities I had to live in (especially Miami) in the US. It's why I keep going back. It's a magical place.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:29   #202

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So a follow up question, what if I have a shotgun and clay pigeons. It would seem to me that my shell count could decrease. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Eg if I make a point of counting both when I declare at entry time.

Not saying that I'm looking for a way around any laws but curious if this is a consideration.

Cruisers Sailing Forum va iPhone
Old 20-08-2015, 12:33   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
I'd be checking any crew thoroughly before sailing, for illegal weapons, drugs, dodgy papers, and any signs of being crazier than me. Any quality rum or baccy to be noted in the log, in case I run out (unlikely).
Most excellent rule of thumb to follow! Thanks for mentioned this!! Which leads me to another question.

Possibly I missed it - but when you read the original post, it doesn't elaborate as to how the officials discovered the weapons. I mention this because its been my experience over the years that they don't routinely board and search baggage. Open cabinets, check the bilge, dresser drawers, yes, but have never experienced a baggage check. Would be interesting to note the details if; the weapons were in plain sight, if the offending dimwit who didn't declare volunteered the information on questioning, or if the officials had info or had 'problems' with the vessel before?

Inquiring minds want to know

But Micah is correct - especially if your passengers are from Colorado
Old 20-08-2015, 12:40   #204
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
As to what you wrote, the Police are not required to protect you, just ask the Supreme Court. You, and only you, are responsible for your protection. If you feel that calling the police is the way to accomplish that, then you are totally within your rights (just remember what the Supreme Court stated).
The case you reference is only addressing a constitutional issue. Has nothing to do with the actual day to day duties and obligations of the local police.

Not saying all local law enforcement is perfect, never makes a mistake, is always there in seconds when you need them; but to imply in any way that your local LEO is not there to protect is incorrect and I think disingenuous.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:42   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post

But Micah is correct - especially if your passengers are from Colorado
Whew! What a breath of fresh air. Finally picking on someone not from California.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2015, 12:45   #206

Boat: OEM, proportional

Your guess is as good as mine as to how the Bahamians twigged to the undeclared guns. Kind of stupid, as apparently there isn't usually any problem with guns there as long as the Authoritahs are informed about them.

Informer?
Snooty crew provoking thorough search?
Parallel Construction of case, based on illegal surveillance?
Legitimate investigation of known suspect persons aboard?
Open carry by crew, or just gats laying about in plain view?
Bored customs guys killing time?
Training run?

Who knows....law abiding persons aren't the problem, wherever they are. Unjust laws, that's a different matter entirely. Hoplophiles take note....the hoplophobes are on the lookout for any excuse to make us look bad, so please restrict them to outright fabrication and hyperbole.

p.s.

Nice boat they had, btw:

Old 20-08-2015, 12:46   #207

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So a follow up question, what if I have a shotgun and clay pigeons. It would seem to me that my shell count could decrease. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Eg if I make a point of counting both when I declare at entry time.

Not saying that I'm looking for a way around any laws but curious if this is a consideration.
Well, if I was the authorities in that case I would want evidence that your shot was steel and your wadding old fashioned material and/or biodegradable, and that you have retained or properly disposed of all the cartridges. Else you will be throwing lead and plastic into the environment, not to mention possibly peppering the tourists with falling shot and noise pollution!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2015, 12:57   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well, if I was the authorities in that case I would want evidence that your shot was steel and your wadding old fashioned material and/or biodegradable, and that you have retained or properly disposed of all the cartridges. Else you will be throwing lead and plastic into the environment, not to mention possibly peppering the tourists with falling shot and noise pollution!
I believe the reason for the ammo inventory is to see if there is any difference between the count when you arrive and when you leave, looking for evidence of illegal ammo sales in country.

Suggest the only prudent course of action is to NOT do any clays until >AFTER< you depart the Bahamas for your next port. Otherwise the onus is on you to prove you didn't illegally sell ammo, and that could be a very sticky wicket! Just explaining you were shooting clays ain't gonna get it IMHO.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:59   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post

I'll take a "shot" at this, pun intended

I do not know, but believe the intent of accounting for the ammo is to ensure you didn't fire the weapon, I'd bet that discharging a firearm for any reason, isn't allowed.
I also think they account for each round to ensure none is left behind as well.

As far as Military losing weapons, it may happen, but I never saw it in my 20 yrs. We lost one in Texas once after moving the Brigade a little over 100 miles. After the entire Brigade had spent a couple of days looking for the thing, rumor had it the Commander called back asking how much longer we would be required to look, answer from Division was they would send turkey for Thanksgiving, it was October.
We lined up at arms length apart walking the whole desert, eventually it was found by a Scout in a hovering OH-58 helicopter, and we got to go home. This for a .38 caliber Ruger Security Six revolver.
Then the entire post at Hunter Army Airfield was locked down, no-one allowed to leave for a full day until a set of Night Vision Goggles was located. Army takes "sensitive items" very seriously, can you imagine the headlines if there was a shooting incident with a stolen Military weapon?
Old 20-08-2015, 13:05   #210

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I deleted a couple of more posts, remember please this is a "hot topic"
Keep strictly to the topic please or at least make sure your post is somehow cruising related

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: