Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 17:55   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Documented or State Registered ?

I bought my boat from the marina where it was stored, when the PO got too far behind on his payments. I plan to cruise the Bahamas and maybe further south to South America, Central America, and back along the Gulf coast. My questions:

1) Based on size or any other consideration, should I document or not?

2) Do I need to get a NC State registration to show to the CG in order to get documented? Or go straight to USCG?

3) If I only get state registration, and carry Bill of Sale, passport, etc., is documentation nesessary? Desirable?

If there's a sticky on this, please send me a link.

Thanks,

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 18:00   #2

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Re: Documented or State Registered?

There is a recent thread on this
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-56812.html
Old 16-03-2011, 18:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misiu View Post
I read that, but because the OP is a foreign national with a boat in the US and headed around the world, I thought there were enough differences to warrant a new thread. If there is part of that thread that you think answers my specific questions, please tell me which post # it is.

John
Old 16-03-2011, 18:28   #4

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

I don't know about North Carolina, but my state, Washington wouldn't issue a registration until the documentation was tidied up in Virginia. Then when I took them for registration, they wouldn't accept the non legal hin number on the docs. So I got to go get rubbings/photos for the state. Now I'm in the middle of redocing, to match the state regs because the master shipwright put the number 99 on the paperwork...a mess, but it will work out. Anyway, USCG first, then state.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 18:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Anyway, USCG first, then state.
Really? For a boat that has never been documented? If so, why go to the state at all, after it's USCG doc'd?

John
Old 16-03-2011, 18:47   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
I read that, but because the OP is a foreign national with a boat in the US and headed around the world, I thought there were enough differences to warrant a new thread. If there is part of that thread that you think answers my specific questions, please tell me which post # it is.

John
No, I just wanted to make you aware of the thread which has some useful info regarding you situation as well.
I have just documented my boat recently in anticipation of taking it to South America. It is simple enough process and not very complicated. As far as I know most people document the boat before going outside the US.
BTW checking in in Ensenada was a breeze.
Old 16-03-2011, 19:01   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

If the boat is foreign made, it cannot be documented to my knowledge. Also, the Coast Guard can give you answers to most of your questions.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 20:58   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

At least 7 foreign built yachts in my marina that are USA registered.
n
A few countries might not know where the Country North Carolina is at.
Document it, a lot easier to clear unto other countries.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 21:12   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
If the boat is foreign made, it cannot be documented to my knowledge. Also, the Coast Guard can give you answers to most of your questions.
Foreign-built boats can be USCG documented but are limited to recreational purposes and be owned by a U.S. citizen. Google "USCG vessel documentation" for the documentation website for the regulations, instructions, and application forms.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 21:15   #10

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Some states require state registration and some do not if the boat is documented. If required to be state-registered and the boat is documented, the state registration number is not displayed on the boat's exterior.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 21:27   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

According to his profile, he has a Catalina
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 05:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
According to his profile, he has a Catalina
Yes, which means the boat was built in California. At last report, that's still considered part of the USA. Sorta.

So, it appears that I should start with the USCG, THEN go to the state for registration. Are we all agreed on that?

John
Old 17-03-2011, 05:32   #13

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Really? For a boat that has never been documented? If so, why go to the state at all, after it's USCG doc'd?

John
Because states want money, my doccumented vessel is also required to be registered in NY.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 05:41   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
3) If I only get state registration, and carry Bill of Sale, passport, etc., is documentation nesessary? Desirable?

Documentation would be necessary IMO. Many counties will expect to see USCG documentation and your state registration, Bill of Sale etc won't cut the mustard. Of course it may in some parts of the world but it is taking a bit of a gamble (again IMO).

Just to add an international perspective, AFAIK, international law requires all vessels in international waters to carry national (not state) registration.

As posted on the other thread, I assume that the USA follows this convention for vessels departing USA ports for foreign destinations. Certainly most 1st world countries do.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 06:22   #15

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
As posted on the other thread, I assume that the USA follows this convention for vessels departing USA ports for foreign destinations. Certainly most 1st world countries do.
The answer to this part is no. The U.S.A. could care less about you leaving the country by boat. In fact it is difficult to find a customs and immigration office that will issue you any sort of formal clearance paperwork, which is required to have when you enter some countries. Luckily, most of the countries close to the U.S., like the Bahamas are familiar with USA boaters arriving without clearance papers and it is no problem. I have never cleared out of the USA by boat--just left.

The earlier part of the discussion has been batted around here a lot. My answer is that documentation with the USCG will make your life easier when arriving in foreign ports. The more ordinary your paperwork looks the less likely you will have a hassle anywhere, and probably 99% of the boats arriving from the USA have a Coast Guard document. Having said that, I know of some people, good friends actually, who cruised all over the Atlantic and Caribbean using nothing but a state registration. So it is possible, at least in some countries.

Many states require you to register with the state even if you have USCG registration. Check with NC on that. Once you sail away from NC you can probably let your state registration lapse, though it might be useful to keep current if you plan on visiting say Florida, which requires you to have a state registration from some place.