Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-03-2011, 07:49   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Documented or State Registered?

NC does not require state registration for USCG documented vessels however other states to which you may be traveling require registration in some state. Florida comes to mind. If you don't have a NC registration sticker, Florida will expect you to buy one of theirs or they will ticket you. USCG documentation is the equivalent of a state title, not registration. It's just like a car where you have a state title and then register the car to get a license plate. The fact that your boat meets all registration requirements in your home state without a state registration matters not to other states. The difference will be that as a documented vessel you are not required to display state numbers, but only the registration sticker.

Old 17-03-2011, 08:39   #17

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Ummm, I hate to bring this up, but is a Catalina 27 of enough gross tonnage to qualify for Documentation. My old Newport 27 was not, so moot point.

Old 17-03-2011, 08:51   #18

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Ummm, I hate to bring this up, but is a Catalina 27 of enough gross tonnage to qualify for Documentation. My old Newport 27 was not, so moot point.
That may help to calculate it
USCG Marine Safety Center (MSC)
Old 17-03-2011, 10:20   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
It should be (just barely). My Catalina 25 just squeeked by when I did the calculation a couple of years ago, so a 27 should make the cut.
Old 18-12-2011, 10:22   #20

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
If the boat is foreign made, it cannot be documented to my knowledge. Also, the Coast Guard can give you answers to most of your questions.
You certainly can document foreign built boats. The problem is if you intend to use it for commercial purposes. You will not get the documentation to show anything but private ownership. For commercial, you need US built in general so that construction was supposedly inspected etc. It is, however, possible to have your congressman attach a rider to any existing bill for an exception to your vessel for commercial use. Aren't lawyers great?

We are a documented 1984 Camper & Nicholson built in Gossport UK. Currently in Michigan. Many inland states don't know how to handle this and try to make you ALSO apply state ID numbers. This is not legal. They can make you buy the water use tag and pay state sales taxes. Documentation used to be a way to avoid both but the loophole is closed now in most states.

I would not travel outside US waters without documentation. Renewal is FREE and you never pay a state use fee as long as you stay away.
Old 21-12-2011, 18:43   #21

Sorry if this is off topic but where are you supposed to display your registration numbers?
Old 21-12-2011, 18:48   #22

I mean coast guard doc numbers not state numbers
Old 21-12-2011, 19:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

We have been cruising foreign waters for the past 25 years, visiting 13 Pacific nations. Our boat is registered in the state of Illinois (where it has never been), since that is our legal address. We have never had the slightest difficulty in dealing with formalities in any of those countries.

We've posted this fact here on CF a number of times, but the legends about Federal documentation being required are hard to kill.

It might be easier in some cases to satisfy the CG requirements than the state regulations, and the "free" renewal is nice. But if you are cruising outside of good mail service the renewal process has been in the past a problem for many of our documented friends. I don't know what the current rules demand... possibly some on-line renewal is possible... likely one of the posters here can say.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-12-2011, 19:09   #24

Maybe still not clear i mean where on the boat do i install the numbers for coast guard documentation
Old 21-12-2011, 19:26   #25

Coast Guard issued documentation numbers are to be permanently attached to a permanent part of the vessel. I have mine scribed on a wood board and screwed to the bulkhead in my aft berth.
Old 21-12-2011, 19:39   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Removing the number plate will create a scar. It isn't just screwed on. Still, some will say mine isn't sufficiently permanent.

Old 21-12-2011, 20:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
Coast Guard issued documentation numbers are to be permanently attached to a permanent part of the vessel. I have mine scribed on a wood board and screwed to the bulkhead in my aft berth.

- to a permanent part - - inside the vessel. They are not outside and you are not permitted to display any other numbers such as state registration numbers. Ours are attached to an interior bulkhead with C-sunk screws. The screw heads are in turn C-bored with a forstner bit and an antique Mexican silver 5 centavo coin is glued over the screw. The coin is a compass rose. (bottom row, 2nd from the left)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180003.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	35033  
Old 21-12-2011, 20:18   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Mine #'s are 3" vinyl stick-on's, covered with two layers of epoxy and FG, which are behind the electrical panel attached to the hull.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 20:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW,

legends about Federal documentation being required are hard to kill.

"free" renewal is nice. But if you are cruising outside of good mail service the renewal process has been in the past a problem for many of our documented friends. possibly some on-line renewal is possible...
Cheers,

Jim
Renewal on line is the norm. Have the new paper sent to someone in the US to forward to you so you can arrange timing & location.

Our current state registration which includes water use tax & sticker is 550 clams. Once we leave, I don't plan to ever buy a renewal.

I have read the posts of many newbies who sailed off with only a state registration and ran into a hornet's nest. The difficulty is proving you own the boat. Without CG papers you will need to carry a lot of other paper that a foreign official may choose to not accept. This depends entirely where you are.
Old 21-12-2011, 20:36   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Renewal on line is the norm. Have the new paper sent to someone in the US to forward to you so you can arrange timing & location.

Our current state registration which includes water use tax & sticker is 550 clams. Once we leave, I don't plan to ever buy a renewal.

I have read the posts of many newbies who sailed off with only a state registration and ran into a hornet's nest. The difficulty is proving you own the boat. Without CG papers you will need to carry a lot of other paper that a foreign official may choose to not accept. This depends entirely where you are.
G'Day Nicholson58 (nice boat, BTW... love those older C&N's)

Admittedly, different states have different setups. So far, Illinois rego costs us 37USD every third year. Hard to beat. The document that they supply is called a Certificate of Title, and it has been accepted without question everywhere we've cleared in. No other papers have ever been requested by any official.

Officials in different countries may have different ideas, but really, the worst that they could do (unless they are simply bandits) is to deny you inward clearance. A nuisance, but not insurmountable. As I said, our experience is wholly in the Pacific, dealing with countries large (Australia) to small (Niue). Other venues could indeed be different.

Cheers,

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: