Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 16:38   #1

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Documentation question

A friend of mine has a documented boat that let the certificate lapse by a few days paid the fee and is now waiting on the new certificate. We have a trip planned and its not clear if the paperwork will make it before we leave.

My question is this: is it legal to operate this boat with proof of renewal but not the actual certificate? The trip is within the Great Lakes. We are trying to decide if we should delay and wait for the papers.

Thanks!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:22   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Documentation question

There is no requirement to document a yacht. So I would think so long as you are in compliance with state requirements, you'd be ok.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:37   #3

If it's documented I assume it's not stage registered, and most states require a vessel to be either state or federally registered. Some (Florida?) require both I think.

To the original poster, I wouldn't sweat it. Your odds of getting pulled over are minimal and they're primarily looking to make sure you're the correct owner and it's a legit vessel. The old certificate plus renewal should be fine. You could encounter some total prick enforcement guy, but the odds are you'll be fine.

If you were planning on the leaving the United States then that's a different story all together.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 23:09   #4

Boat: PT-11
Many states require documented vessels also to be registered and for others, including Ca I believe, its optional. It's the ones that don't that I was getting at b/c if you let your documentation lapse and are not registered, you're not legal. But I agree with you that its a technicality and probably not a big risk.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:24   #5

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

As long as you stay out of NZ, you should be OK.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

take with you the old papers.

mine went for 33 days, as my caretaker for my other boat forgot--so he had to pay for renewing mine for both boats..up to 31 days is free and easy--after 31 days, pay money.

while in kali for sooo long i never had to register and document any of my boats--was one or other. i chose documentation.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
As long as you stay out of NZ, you should be OK.
Ummmmm. What?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 19:18   #8

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
A friend of mine has a documented boat that let the certificate lapse by a few days paid the fee and is now waiting on the new certificate. We have a trip planned and its not clear if the paperwork will make it before we leave.

My question is this: is it legal to operate this boat with proof of renewal but not the actual certificate? The trip is within the Great Lakes. We are trying to decide if we should delay and wait for the papers.

Thanks!
SC
We just sailed through Lake Superior, Huron and are in our way through Lake Erie. The authorities are more interested in state registration than federal registration. If you do not have state registration then you will have trouble.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
This is a common misunderstanding...documentation does not eliminate the need for registration in most states.
Documentation is a form of titling. State registration is separate from titling.
If you are documented, you cannot place reg numbers on the bow even though the state will give you a number on your reg.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote