A friend of mine has a documented boat that let the certificate lapse by a few days paid the fee and is now waiting on the new certificate. We have a trip planned and its not clear if the paperwork will make it before we leave.
My question is this: is it legal
to operate this boat with proof of renewal but not the actual certificate? The trip is within the Great Lakes
. We are trying to decide if we should delay and wait for the papers.