Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 15:03   #1

Boat: 1987 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Encore
Documentation Necessary for Bahamas ?

I am possibly going to be going to the bahamas soon, what are your experiences with how necessary it is for a boat to be documented. My boat has a current NC registration will that be enough? how much trouble will it cause me?

I began the documentation process and after filling out the application for simplified measeurement it seems that my boat does not meet the Tonage requirement. The docuemnt states Gross tonnage 4 GRT, Net Tonnage 3NRT. my boat is a Sabre 28......28' 6" with a beam of 9' 2". Is there no way that I can get my boat documented? I have seen many boats in the 27' range that are documented, whats the deal?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 15:11   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Iain,

If you have the NC registration, proof of ownership, and $150, (I think that's what it is for boats 30ft and under) that should be enough. Many undocumented boats go over there. The main requirement is the $150.
Old 23-01-2007, 16:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you can be documented then it's a good thing but Rick has it pretty square. It's mostly about the money. Be nice - it matters.

Passports will be required all too soon so get started getting those if you don't have them.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 18:13   #4

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
pirate Doc's needed for the BAHAMAS

What about Cats. We are planning to have our two cats aboard when we go to the BAHAMAS. They will be chipped and have all the exams and shots normally required. What else will be required. Does anybody have a complete list of the information and documents required for cruising the Bahamas. We are completely in the dark. (Boat is documented)
Old 23-01-2007, 18:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does anybody have a complete list of the information and documents required for cruising the Bahamas.
"Complete Information" is sort of a unreasonable request. Documents here goes:

Boat - A USCG certificate with a valid date (not a copy) - gold standard! It helps if your name is on it too. Everyone likes to see it but only when they ask. A state registration works too. If you have both then one of them is illegal.

People - US Passports 1 per person - no problem. After next year it's the only thing that works. You can get by this year with a picture ID. If you have time get passports now.

Cat - there is the getting into the the other country but don't forget getting back home. Getting home these days is harder than going some place else. If the cats stay aboard no problem with any other government. It's when they go ashore that the problem might come up. You might need all the paper work for the US Customs folks on your return. I would double check the paper work required for both ends. You could lose your cats if not 100% complete. That one I can't be totally complete on but I am accurate.

See the above. The permit is required too. You'll get that when you get there first thing.

Don't be in the dark when it comes to US or Foreign Customs regulations.

Be nice - it matters.
Old 23-01-2007, 19:41   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
Everyone I met that took animals to the Bahamas said it was necessary to have a vets certification concerning Rabies or some such. They all spoke about how it was necessary to have one that was within 48 hours or some such before clearing into the Bahamas. I'd check that.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:40   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I went over to Bimini with my MacGregor 26M without being documented. The Documentation rules changed a few years back and all the boats that are to short can keep their documentation.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 01:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The WHTI will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States.

Excerpted from the U.S. Department of State website, at:
New Requirements for Travelers

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI):

“... As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 16:53   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not sure about this, Pblais . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
"Boat - A USCG certificate with a valid date (not a copy) - gold standard! It helps if your name is on it too. Everyone likes to see it but only when they ask. A state registration works too. If you have both then one of them is illegal.

Be nice - it matters.
I know this is an old thread, Paul, but I'm not so sure about your observation that if you have both USCG documentation and state registration, then one of them is illegal. From the FAQ page at the Coast Guard's site, I quote the following:

IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION? No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

The entire USCG FAQ page is available at:

Frequently Asked Questions Vessel Documentation

TaoJones
Old 29-04-2007, 17:19   #10

Boat: C&C 27
Iain, If you are still following the thread my 27 C&C has a gross tonnage of 9 and a net tonnage of 8 as listed on my CG documentation. The Sabre 28 has to be close to that.

Texas requires that federally documented vessels be registered with the state.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 19:12   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION? No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated.
There can be only one form of title documentation (proof or ownership). Yes, some states require stickers or such tax stamps, some tax you but don't bother giving stamps, stickers or other papers (like VA here), but there is is only one form of title registration. A USCG documentation is a registered "title" with the federal government. A state registration is a form of title registration too but with the state (like your car). The title is registered or it's not - but never it two places at one time. It's like legally being married twice - ain't possible. You give one up if you do the other. USCG documentation requires you remove state registration numbers from your bow - always! You still pay any state taxes.

No state can require you to register your boat "title" if it's USCG documented, but they can tax the heck out of you no matter what they call it. They don't really care since they get the same money in either case. MD does it too. They require a sticker that they charge you for for but in no way is it a proof of ownership aka "registration".

In a foreign country they could care less if you owe back taxes, but you should be able to prove on demand that you really own your boat (even if you have a loan yet to be paid off). If you ever buy a boat with a loan you will be required by the lender to document the boat if it qualifies under USCG regulations. Mostly it is so they can take the boat no matter where you run to should you default.
Old 29-04-2007, 19:32   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let me see if I understand, Paul . . .

I get what you're saying about the title documentation being one or the other, but it can't be both. But I'm still unclear about the state registration following USCG documentation.

Is the information in the FAQ saying that the owner must comply with state registration requirements following documentation, but no state registration number will be assigned to the vessel? Or is it saying that a number can be assigned, but it cannot be displayed because the USCG number takes precedence?

What do they mean by, "States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements."? The decals, to which they make reference, must mean something other than bow numbers, since you have explained that a federally documented vessel must remove those numbers if they were there prior to documentation.

I appreciate your greater knowledge in this area, Paul.

TaoJones
Old 29-04-2007, 19:50   #13

Tao...it means that states can make you register your boat even if it s federally documented. Registration generally comes with a state "sticker" much like the one on your car window...and state registration # assignment.
If your boat is federally documented the state MAY compel you to register and display the sticker but MAY NOT require you to put their numbers on your bow.
In this manner...many states get you for a registration fee...sales tax...and annual personal property or use tax whether or not you are federally documented. It is all dependent on the state you are in. Most states require you to register your boat with them REGARDLESS OF YOUR RESIDENT STATE...once you have been in their waters for somewhere between 60 and 180 days depending on the state.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, documentation