Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27   #181
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: "Dock Lines will be Cut!"

I sense some repliers have lost their "grip" and maybe a pill is in order.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54   #182

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well ... the Natives were the original pushovers there...
They don't count...they couldn't produce proof of ownership on the land they were on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:24   #183

Richard5- "Let's expose some history shall we? Due to a fortuitous latitude in relation to the northern Atlantic routes, NYC was found to be at an advantage. It is only a "financial center" because it was Neuw Amsterdam in the 1st place. Without the Dutch, NYC would be but swampy grasslands and an esturine confluence of rivers.[/QUOTE]

Snore. Snore. snore. Grunt. Huh? What? Oh god now what? Really? Again? Fine, here's the education you missed that day in school when you were sick.

New York is the financial and cultural capital of the this county because of the excellent deep water harbor silly. That's why they put the pretty statue of the lady with the torch there. You see because of the port, there was commerce and because of commerce there was money.

Because there was money there was culture. Fortunately for all of us the founding fathers decided not to ruin it by making it the political capital, they put that in the swamp. Lucky for us too, if they hadn't New York might have gotten messed up.

But seriously, however quaint the New York bashing is, I have yet see where anyone has posited an alternative. Maybe they think it is Tampa but they want to keep it a secret?

Don't believe me? You don't have to, let's look at what Wikipedia has to say about one aspect of culture we all enjoy- media! From the article entitled "Media In New York City" -

"The media of New York City are internationally influential, and include some of the most important newspapers, largest publishing houses, most prolific television studios, and biggest record companies in the world. It is a major global center for the television, music, newspaper, book and magazine publishing industries."

Ya hear that folks "...INTERNATIONALLY INFLUENTIAL ...GLOBAL CENTER..." But wait there is more -

....New York is also the largest media market in North America (followed by Los Angeles, Chicago, and Toronto).[1] Some of the city's media conglomerates include Time Warner, the Thomson Reuters Corporation, the News Corporation, The New York Times Company, NBCUniversal, the Hearst Corporation, and Viacom. Seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks are headquartered in New York.[2] Three of the "Big Four" record labels are also based in the city, as well as in Los Angeles. One-third of all American independent films are produced in New York.[3] More than 200 newspapers and 350 consumer magazines have an office in the city[3] and book-publishing industry employs about 25,000 people.[4]....."

"....Two of the three national daily newspapers in the United States are The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times...."

"....The television industry developed in New York and is a significant employer in the city's economy. The four major American broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC, are all headquartered in New York. Many cable channels are based in the city as well, including MTV, Fox News, HBO and Comedy Central. In 2005 there were more than 100 television shows taped in New York City.[7]....."

"....Today more than 350 magazines have their editorial offices based in the city. New York is home to the corporate headquarters of publishing giants:
Condé Nast Publications: The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Vogue
The Hearst Corporation: Cosmopolitan, Esquire
Time Warner: Time, People, Sports Illustrated
Other national leaders are Rolling Stone, published by Wenner Media, and Newsweek, owned by the The Newsweek Daily Beast Company...."

"....The book publishing industry in the United States is based in New York. Publishing houses in the city range from industry giants such as Penguin Group (USA), HarperCollins, Random House, Scholastic and Simon & Schuster...."

"...New York City has a tradition as an important place in radio broadcasting. Edward R. Murrow defined American broadcast journalism with his World War II reporting from Europe relayed back to CBS in New York and onward to the rest of the nation....."

"...It is also the headquarters of several large cable television channels, including MTV, Fox News, HBO, and Comedy Central. ...

".....the Late Show with David Letterman. Saturday Night Live is broadcast from NBC's studios at 30 Rockefeller Center, where Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, NBC Nightly News and The Today Show is also taped. BET is headquartered on 57th Street. The Colbert Report is produced by Comedy Central on 54th Street, and The Daily Show...

"...Roughly 1,000,000[citation needed] New Yorkers are employed in the film and television industry, which contributes about $5 billion to the city's economy annually. ...."
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:36   #184

oouch, I had a cramp in my cut-n-pasty fingers, sorry.

Anyhell, the list goes on and on. And that's just media. There the arts, literature, music, theater, museums, and my favorite cultural diversity! You see because New York is a GLOBAL CULTURAL CENTER people from all over the world clamor to come here. Kinda sweet if you're into like learning about other cultures and junk cuz like walking out your door is like traveling the world!

Funny thing about that is, because lot's of people here left places like where you are right now and they don't ever want to go back. Like they say "You can't go back to Kansas" which is sort of a nice way of saying, well, you know...

It's okay though, we're big kids here. We understand how hard it is to grow up in the shadow of your big brother. Hate away, we weren't really paying attention anyway.
Old 09-08-2013, 21:50   #185

Ha, ha, ha, look what it says about Media in Chicago and LA -

"....The Chicago metropolitan area (the Chicago Market) commands the third-largest media market in the United States after New York City and Los Angeles and the largest inland market..."

"....The media of Los Angeles serve a large population in the Los Angeles area...."

Saweeeet! Chicago is third after LA and the media of LA doesn't even service all of LA. LMFAO! Hollywood doesn't really count because it's half owned by New Yorkers. HA, Ha, Ha

You know you New York haters should nicen up a bit. Keep it up and we'll take our culture away, then you'd be bored with nothing to do but work, sleep, and eat.

Oh god, did I mention how amazing the food is here? Absolutely endless list of world-class restaurants here....
Old 09-08-2013, 21:53   #186
o_q

Re: "dock lines will be cut!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
we have a local bar/marina on the water.
A bar/marina on the water?
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:54   #187

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Let's expose some history shall we? Due to a fortuitous latitude in relation to the northern Atlantic routes, NYC was found to be at an advantage. It is only a "financial center" because it was Neuw Amsterdam in the 1st place. Without the Dutch, NYC would be but swampy grasslands and an esturine confluence of rivers.
(Start quote from the other guy....) Snore. Snore. snore. Grunt. Huh? What? Oh god now what? Really?

New York is the financial and cultural capital of the this county because of the excellent deep water harbor silly. That's why they put the pretty statue of the lady with the torch there. You see because of the port, there was commerce and because of commerce there was money.

Because there was money there was culture. Fortunately for all of us the founding fathers decided not to ruin it by making it the political capital, they put that in the swamp. Lucky for us too, if they hadn't New York might have gotten messed up.

But seriously, the New York bashing is quaint but I have yet see where anyone has posited an alternative. Maybe they think it is Tampa but they want to keep it a secret?

Don't believe me? You don't have to, let's look at what Wikipedia has to say about one aspect of culture we all enjoy- media! From the article entitled "Media In New York City" -

"The media of New York City are internationally influential, and include some of the most important newspapers, largest publishing houses, most prolific television studios, and biggest record companies in the world. It is a major global center for the television, music, newspaper, book and magazine publishing industries." Ya hear that folks "...INTERNATIONALLY INFLUENTIAL ...GLOBAL CENTER..."

But wait there is more -

....New York is also the largest media market in North America (followed by Los Angeles, Chicago, and Toronto).[1] Some of the city's media conglomerates include Time Warner, the Thomson Reuters Corporation, the News Corporation, The New York Times Company, NBCUniversal, the Hearst Corporation, and Viacom. Seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks are headquartered in New York.[2] Three of the "Big Four" record labels are also based in the city, as well as in Los Angeles. One-third of all American independent films are produced in New York.[3] More than 200 newspapers and 350 consumer magazines have an office in the city[3] and book-publishing industry employs about 25,000 people.[4]....."

"....Two of the three national daily newspapers in the United States are The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times...."

"....The television industry developed in New York and is a significant employer in the city's economy. The four major American broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC, are all headquartered in New York. Many cable channels are based in the city as well, including MTV, Fox News, HBO and Comedy Central. In 2005 there were more than 100 television shows taped in New York City.[7]....."

"....Today more than 350 magazines have their editorial offices based in the city. New York is home to the corporate headquarters of publishing giants:
Condé Nast Publications: The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Vogue
The Hearst Corporation: Cosmopolitan, Esquire
Time Warner: Time, People, Sports Illustrated
Other national leaders are Rolling Stone, published by Wenner Media, and Newsweek, owned by the The Newsweek Daily Beast Company...."

"....The book publishing industry in the United States is based in New York. Publishing houses in the city range from industry giants such as Penguin Group (USA), HarperCollins, Random House, Scholastic and Simon & Schuster...."

"...New York City has a tradition as an important place in radio broadcasting. Edward R. Murrow defined American broadcast journalism with his World War II reporting from Europe relayed back to CBS in New York and onward to the rest of the nation....."

"...It is also the headquarters of several large cable television channels, including MTV, Fox News, HBO, and Comedy Central. ...

".....the Late Show with David Letterman. Saturday Night Live is broadcast from NBC's studios at 30 Rockefeller Center, where Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, NBC Nightly News and The Today Show is also taped. BET is headquartered on 57th Street. The Colbert Report is produced by Comedy Central on 54th Street, and The Daily Show...

"...Roughly 1,000,000[citation needed] New Yorkers are employed in the film and television industry, which contributes about $5 billion to the city's economy annually. ...."[/QUOTE] (End quote from the other guy.)

Wow. I thought this thread was about some guy tying up at a dock and thereby causing a bit of hassle for another boater. But after that post, well, I see I was wrong. Repeating my earlier comment: bunker mentality. But reinforced with defensive pride. Ah, well....

Think I'll meander out to the aft deck for sundowners, here in the anchorage of American Samoa. The tropics, yah know? Peaceful. Can hear the birds singing. It's a place where half a dozen guys will jump in their dinks if the new-comer's anchor starts to drag. Boaters help each other, over here. But maybe that feeling of "all for one and one for all" is helped by a bit of distance from the big cities. I'll ponder that as the sun settles.

Okay - Where's that unsubscribe button....
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:08   #188

Quote:
...because of commerce there was money.

Because there was money there was culture.
Ah...money makes culture. I knew it would come to that. Really...NY is not a bad place at all. It's just a challenge for me with New Yorkers right of entitlement attitudes. As far as culture, I'll take Seattle over NY any day. The fact that you scoffed and belittled Tampa tells me you haven't been too far from the Big Apple.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-08-2013, 22:32   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The fact that you scoffed and belittled Tampa tells me you haven't been too far from the Big Apple.
Heck no, I grew up in the Midwest. That was a long time ago. The Tampa jab was intended for that other New York hater. Like it or not it is the cultural capital of this country. It's just a fact.

I know I am over the top, half of it is play, as for the other half, what do you expect? People bomb us and blow up our buildings and spread anthrax and stuff. When you live here you kind of can't help but take it a little personaly. They mess with us specifcally because, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, we are the embodiment of the ideals I hope we all share as Amercans.

America would be a really sad place without New York.

So sorry if I seem a bit reactionary, it's just that when you mess around with New York, you got to know New York is going to mess with you.
Old 09-08-2013, 22:41   #190

Quote:
Heck no, I grew up in the Midwest. That was a long time ago. The Tampa jab was intended for that other New York hater. Like it or not it is the cultural capital of this country. It's just a fact.

I know I am over the top, half of it is play, as for the other half, what do you expect? People bomb us and blow up our buildings and spread anthrax and stuff. When you live here you kind of can't help but take it a little personaly. They mess with us specifcally becuase as far as the rest of the world is concerned we are the embodiment of the ideals I hope we all share as Amercans.

America would be a sad place without New York.

So sorry if I seem a bit reactionary, it's just that when you mess around with New York and you got to know New York is going to mess with you.
No one can deny NY has had more than it's share of hard times. There was and still is an outpouring for 9/11 and what New Yorkers had to go through. It shows the cities resilience. But culture is in the eye of the beholder. My life certainly isn't controlled by the likes of Wiki or any of my ex-wives for that matter...
Old 09-08-2013, 23:04   #191

Half a dozen incidents this year with tourists bring loaded guns from out of state to places like the WTC Memorial and the Empire State Building, WTF?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:58   #192
Armchair Bucketeer

if NY was not so great.......

....they wouldn't have named it twice .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:38   #193
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course you are. Guessed as much from your first two words in this post. As, you see, it is only people who are from NYC that think NYC is the cultural center of the universe. That's what makes it so funny to those of us who know better.

The fact that it does have a couple of nice cultural features most certainly does NOT make it the "cultural capital" of anything at all!

I left when I was three. My tie there now is my daughter, who works at a world-class museum there. Every possible kind of culture can be found there. You have to pass an audition to play for money in the subways. As a result, even the subways are great cultural experiences now -- I heard a remarkably good string quartet and a great group playing "mountain" (not "country") music. Every possible kind of museum; every possible instruction on every possible musical instrument -- you can learn to play a dirigidoo in NYC; every possible type of popular and alternative music; interactive art; interactive theater (as well as any other kind you can imagine) -- and a treasure trove of good, free performances. By the way, my first degree is in music, and I've studied cultural anthropology including the anthropology of music. I'm not an easy sell on any of this.

Chicago is remarkable. London is remarkable. San Fransisco is remarkable, but nothing tops New York, where you can see both THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS and Shakespeare free in Central Park.

Another city could be argued, but to laugh hysterically at the notion just shows ignorance about the arts in general. I wouldn't listen if Donald Trump tried to explain sailing to all of us. I will also giggle when people suggest that NYC is lacking in culture.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42   #194
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Au contraire. I have not ever been to a show on Broadway but I have been to numerous off Broadway shows. But for your stated examples I could direct you to numerous venues in other cities. Chicago's museum of Science and Industry is worthy. Udvar-Hazy and the Smithsonian. The Louvre...to name a few examples. Even Dublin has a fine museum equal to anything I have visited in NYC. Guess what, they all come sans the people pushing, 'I'm more important' attitude.

Oh yes, I have visited NYC a few times. I couldn't wait to leave. Now, after 5 visits I've had my share. I've washed off the crud. When what's his name sang, ...don't mind the maggots..., he wasn't kidding.

I'm sure it's just me and my ilk but I couldn't find a decent beefsteak in alla the city. Couldn't wait to get home for that. But hey, it's not Newark. Don't get me started on EWR.
Here's one just for you hon,

Of course you can name amazing individual sites in many other cities. I don't know what it's like now, but when I was a child, the Museum of Science and Industry was amazing. You walked through a giant beating human heart, following the path your blood takes. Remarkable.

But New York has a concentration of such sites unlike anything else. To me, having attended only off-Broadway suggest reverse snobbery. There are good things everywhere -- even, occasionally, on Broadway, although the "head count" is down there. And to have gone to NYC but not seen the Met's performance of either CARMEN or MAGIC FLUTE -- what a waste. The Botanical Gardens and the Zoo in the Bronx make even the Bronx worth visiting.

Street art is remarkable. Unbelievable what can be done with chalk on a sidewalk. I've already mentioned the music in the subways.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:44   #195
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
every marina I've ever been in has small print in the contract. that allows them to rent your slip if you are not there.

That's not what I'm talking about. And as I said, all I have to do is call them and tell them I'm coming back, and they remove the visiting boat to another slip. I bet they all do that. If they're going to rent mine, however, I make it extremely inconvenient to use my dock lines, and warn the marina that my dock lines won't be available.

Tags
dock