Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 21:44   #46

Re: "dock lines will be cut!"

Renting out assigned slips to transients is common in California too. And yes I have returned early and been told to expect a different slip...as I expected.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:23   #47

Boat: Pearson 281

I don't think anyone here on this forum would fail to lend a hand if someone were in a jam and needed to tuck into the "wrong spot" but this post is about a different situation where people are just taking advantage. I like the dingy dock idea charge or not but people really do need to be considerate about security.
It's pretty rough and tumble down here with too much tweaker traffic so finding the restroom doors propped open late at night during the weekend makes folks kinda nervous. The gate doesn't matter too much since our tweakers usually travel by dingy...
My favorite outsider event involved an obviously well-healed group pulling up in their big glittering excursion boat and some guy gets off with this uber-coiffed standard poodle. This guy walks right past me like I'm not even there and let's his dog take a big dump right on the dock. As he turns to go back aboard I get between him and his boat stoop down to say hello to his dog and tell him quietly that he's going in the water if he doesn't pick that s#@t up. I gave him some newspaper and asked him what he was thinking... and what would he do if our situation was reversed. He gave me the stink-eye but cleaned up after his dog.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 23:50   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Not being a lawyer and having but a very fuzzy idea of the law I have the opinion that under Queensland (Oz) law that anyone who takes charge of a boat, no matter how well intentioned they are, could become liable for any damage that may occur.

And it can be very difficult to prove that the damage existed before control was taken of the boat.

Ask the Queensland Coast Guard why they no longer move boats if you want it from the horses mouth.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 00:24   #49

some of the gates at marinas here have locks on both sides. so if you dock, you can't leave the marina without a key / fob. solves the unattended boat part. and they can't leave the gate open if you can't open it in the first place.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 00:31   #50

Boat: Vivacity 650, 21 foot

Yeah the topic drifted a bit..

from "uknown stranger leaving his boat near the dock for 2 hours" to "I found a boat in my berth"

I personally think it all depends who is an offender.

Sailboat? Chat to the guy, give him a hand, have a pint with him in a local pub.

Motorboat ? Cut lines loose, fill the thank with water, leave two cats on board!
parito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 00:42   #51

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The OP is not giving more details, probably because it was no big deal,
a dinghy tied up to the guest dock, and he wasn't a member of his club,
and was wearing a muscle shirt.

I want to know how the OP determined there was no distress.
Running out of beer is cause for distress!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:06   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I'm personally for rounding up all the feral cats and putting on board. Down in the cabin is best. Second place would be an impound lot with very limited hours (1-2 hours day) in which to come and get your boat released. Make sure it is manned by some large chain smoker with a really awful attitude.
I guess you could always start out by being nice, and only work up to feral cats or impound if they are repeat offenders. I'm allergic to smoke, so #2 would make sure I never darken that marina's door again....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:08   #53

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I'm surprised there have not yet been any contrary replies. Allow me to be the first.

What happened to the simple courtesy of moving the boat further up the dock or to another dock if need be? To lock up the vessel seems draconian. So, even if that person had failed to show courtesy to others, how does that give another the moral ground to exhibit the same?

As for speaking of entitlement attitudes, it is my opinion the OP has shown the same when speaking of 'us' Vs 'them'. All boats rise on the tide but some more than others?

In the past I have found all manner of floating objects in "my" slip, at "my" mooring. Just flow with it, no sense in getting your knickers in a knot. Even if they not be in distress, just flow.

I'm currently in a large city...where people don't flow. It's mad. I'm from a rural area and likely people deal with tougher issues but to be sure they don't get rattled so easily.
My faith in humanity has been restored

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19   #54

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
some of the gates at marinas here have locks on both sides. so if you dock, you can't leave the marina without a key / fob. solves the unattended boat part. and they can't leave the gate open if you can't open it in the first place.
Had a problem with non-marina people getting access where I keep myboat. The gates have now been changed to only allow single acccess, either way - result is the number of wanderers has dramatically reduced.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:27   #55
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Im with giving the guy a warning before taking action. Its a real pita to get a boat impounded. Fees of around $200 an hour from the time the towboat starts his motor are common. Then add to that the cost of storage and its not a trivial event. Talk peaceably and give an explanation of what will happen if he repeats his actions. Then its on the offending party.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The OP is not giving more details, probably because it was no big deal,
a dinghy tied up to the guest dock, and he wasn't a member of his club,
and was wearing a muscle shirt.

I want to know how the OP determined there was no distress.
Running out of beer is cause for distress!
Fast Bottoms asked you what the significance of the details were and questioned whether details would change the fact that the guy was trespassing. When you didn't respond to him by enlightening the community I figured it was because what ever you had to say wasn't a big deal.

Whatever you have to say must be really important to keep it secret so I'll play along a bit because I am dying to know.

I have not personally spoken with my neighbor and can't confirm because I wasn't here when it happened but yes, it sounds like my neighbor grounded when entering due to the presence of the offending vessel.

My neighbor is a good sailor and I doubt he would have been going more than half a knot when he touched so I doubt there was significant damage but since this seems to matter to you let's say it was significant.

The offending boat wasn't a dinghy, it was a 35 foot pontoon boat with a beam that took up half the channel, the outside of the channel was rip rap. The offender didn't have a muscle shirt but did have a fat gut.

He wasn't out of beer but apparently he tied his boat up to go to his friends apartment nearby for a couple hours. It was after dark and I believe there was alcohol involved in his decision to park his boat where he did. He could have just as easily walked, taken a bike, ridden a ferry, hitchhiked, taken a bus, or driven a car to get to his friend's house.

Our marina is not a club. In my case, it is my home when I am not out sailing. As before this kind of thing is not an isolated incident. The dock is not a public dock, hence it has a lock on it.

By questioning the circumstances you sound to me like you're somehow sympathetic to the trespasser. Or maybe because your airplane hanger has a "no trespassing" sign on it but my marina does not, you feel I don't have grounds to take offensive at strangers using my marina at their leisure and convenience.

I gave you the details asked, please do share your wisdom. I am dying to know how the details change the fact the guy was trespassing and whether or not the offender should suffer some consequence for his actions which directly and negatively affected other people, however great or slight.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12   #57

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I'd be willing to bet money that if you touched that violating boat, without the owners permission, you would get burned in a civil suit. The marina owner is renting the water area from some local or federal authority probably, and has agreed to fair and reasonable use by others. "No trespassing" signs are like locks, they keep honest people honest. To board that boat would most likely be "breaking and entering", set it adrift constitutes "willful damage". I'd be surprised to find that other rules, protecting the violator, exist.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13   #58
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The thing that amuses the hell outa me is... over here folk can.. and do... purchase their marina berth... however... if your away sailing they will rent it out to transients... and if you come back early your buga'd...
Oh... and to rub salt in the wound... you get none of the rental charged either...

That happens here too with rental slips, but all it takes is a phone call to the marina and they'll move the boat.

And as I said, I spoke to my marina management and pointed out that I typically bring in my boat single-handed and count on my dock lines being where I left them, and they chose to not rent my slip out and not screw things up for me. As in so many things, a little communication goes a long way.

People have added all sorts of speculation to the OP. Nothing new there; that's done here regularly -- but read the title line -- "dock lines will be cut!" I think that's the least likely thing to happen.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:18   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The VMR over here (volunteer marine rescue) have been told that if they if they find a boat in trouble, or causing trouble, and no owner on board, they are not allowed to get on board until they have permission from the owner. This way they cannot be sued for anything. How sad and wrong is that?

Coops.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Seems that the Marina is onboard with chasing these folks out / prevention as have already addressed the gate issue, albeit it seems that either others have been helping provide access out (and in) or they have been tailgating folks through.

If that is the case I would think a simple sign would suffice: $50 an hour for non-berth holder docking - all use to be authorized by the Harbour Master (in practice permanently authorized for the berth holders), non authorized vessels will be towed (ideally to a mooring ball!)......for an actual emergency the Marina can waive the fee (all the Skipper has to do is contact the Harbour master - if the same person is having an emergency every Friday night can sort that at the time!).........and then follow up with bills through the post (can always then sell the debt). Will take a little while for the message to get through, but at least are talking about folks with an asset!, and if the boat gets chained to a dock (for non-payment) it will be in their own Slip.

If a frequent evening return thing, could always guard the entrance at certain times - and refuse access to non-berth holders! and instead direct them to the Harbour Master / Marina Office (oh. he only works 9-5!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock