Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Should recreational boaters be required to get a license?
Yes. 53 31.36%
No. 80 47.34%
Only if they operate near commercial traffic. 1 0.59%
Only if the boat is over x feet or x horsepower. 40 23.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-04-2015, 17:37   #421

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Do you think recreational boats should be licensed?

I was boarded near Norfolk, VA by the USGC. They didn't ask to see a safe boating certificate but they did ask for a photo ID. I have yet to figure out why you need a photo ID to operate a small boat but not to vote!

Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 20:50   #422

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC

Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The USCG has little or no interest in State regulated boating safety regulations...they certainly have no jurisdiction unless they have a cross agreement with the states in a case by case area dependent basis.

All the people I know that the USCG have boarded, never even asked.

In NJ it's the state or local police and they can be rabid about it.

Usually, larger cruising boats aren't targeted as the officers are often by themselves and much more than a once over is difficult compared to small, vessels and personal watercraft.
OK understood. My comment related only to the discussion we had with the Aux CG who did our free vessel safety check last week. I fully appreciate that the most likely folk to want to stop us would be waterborne LE in some form and I hope we have all the documentation and 'stuff we should carry readily to hand. I hope also that the USCG sticker now displayed will go some way towards staving off a full all out inspection and, if asked, that my recently gained plastic Florida Boaters Licence Card will suitably impress them, enough at least to let us continue on our way reasonably unhindered. Failing that I guess, as I think I said before, we could decide to take the offshore option and simply by-pass DC and NJ waters if we decide to go that far north one summer to escape from the Florida heat.

Life afloat never used to be so complicated.

Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 17:42   #423

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Originally Posted by Polux View Post
If they found out the Ship will be arrested, the captain and possibly the ship owner will be finned.
the ship gets carted off to jail while the captain and ship owner are taken to the fishing pier where fish of al sorts will come and beat them aside the head with their fins. talk about cruel and unusual punishment

first wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: