Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 13:25   #61

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: Do you pass up dead bodys and leave them stay?

My sister-in-law was stationed at Governor's Island, NYC. Her assigned duty was "gaffer"!!! She gaffed up to 2 dozen a week when conditions were optimal! No bait was required, but occasionally a net was used when the gaff would not hold. No fish story! Besides standard ops of lifevest, she was assigned gasmask too. This was before days of serious gov't investment in HazMat teams and equipment.

Even had one wash up in Barnegat Light next to lighthouse one day when tide came in. Wouldn't want to have even gaffed that one. Sure put off everyone fishing off the jetty for that day!!
Old 08-06-2013, 13:40   #62

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

All I know is that police divers know that bodies that sink in the fall have slow enough decomp in cold water to not rise again until the spring. One told me "between launch and work, I don't get a break from late March until June 1".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 08-06-2013, 14:05   #63

Boat: a sailing boat

We have seen bodies but only in harbours, marinas, etc.

I think if you sail close to India ten perhaps you have better chances of seeing a body in the open waters (unless their sharks get there first).

b.
Old 08-06-2013, 15:05   #64
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbuckner View Post
Depends on the country in US coastal water call 911, at sea check maybe not dead, on coasts of central and south America get away from there as fast as you can and don't look back. never bring a body into port is latin america, if they die on board bury them at sea or take back to US, never enta port with dead body south of the border.
Since it isn't in Central or South America, but it is south of the border, was your omission of Mexico intentional or accidental?

TaoJones
Old 08-06-2013, 15:56   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
All I know is that police divers know that bodies that sink in the fall have slow enough decomp in cold water to not rise again until the spring. One told me "between launch and work, I don't get a break from late March until June 1".
I heard that too. The area on the south east side of the Manhattan Bridge in New York's East River is known to the NYPD as the swimming hole because a lot of the bodies seem to end up in that area when they float up.
Happily, when I was living on board in the city for six years and now when transiting through the area I have not come across any bodies. Did see a floating dead Pig once though.
Old 08-06-2013, 15:58   #66

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...the poor pig...it wanted to fly so badly... Mauritz
Old 08-06-2013, 16:06   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
...the poor pig...it wanted to fly so badly... Mauritz
Well it sure surprised me because pigs can swim pretty good:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE IN THE EXUMAS DAY 4: SWIMMING PIGS AND WIND TURBINES
Old 08-06-2013, 16:13   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Working near the Golden Gate Bridge frequently, I see what happens. The Coast Guard prefers that you stay near the body so they can find it but don't touch it until they get there to take over. Notify them on a cell phone if you have that option.

In foreign waters I would probably leave it alone. Bringing it onboard you risk disease and being accused of being the murderer. In some countries like Mexico you are assumed guilty until proven innocent and who wants to end up in a Mexican prison for doing what you thought was a good deed.

I know that sounds callous but you have to protect yourself against primitive justice systems that might throw the book at you.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 08-06-2013, 16:17   #69

Boat: csy 37

i check the body for rolex watch, jewelry, cash, credit cards. then push off....
Old 08-06-2013, 16:31   #70
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i check the body for rolex watch, jewelry, cash, credit cards. then push off....
thats the only way i will ever own a yachtmaster 2 ....
Old 08-06-2013, 17:13   #71

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

..."In foreign waters I would probably leave it alone. Bringing it onboard you risk disease and being accused of being the murderer. In some countries like Mexico you are assumed guilty until proven innocent and who wants to end up in a Mexican prison for doing what you thought was a good deed.

I know that sounds callous but you have to protect yourself against primitive justice systems that might throw the book at you."

Third World countries are notorious with the way they deal out justice. Mauritz
Old 08-06-2013, 17:29   #72
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
In some countries like Mexico you are assumed guilty until proven innocent and who wants to end up in a Mexican prison for doing what you thought was a good deed.

I know that sounds callous but you have to protect yourself against primitive justice systems that might throw the book at you.
I wouldn't call it callous, David - it's diametrically opposed to what most of us grow up believing. But your use of the modifier "primitive" for the Napoleonic Code (the basis of Mexico's system of justice) is, perhaps, unwarranted. See:

Napoleonic Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "guilty until proven innocent" part is hard to accept, of course, but as a system of justice the Napoleonic Code of 1804 was truly enlightened compared to what had typically occurred previously.

Then, too, who among us is naive enough to actually believe that in the American system of justice (based on English common law) all those who come to the attention of law enforcement authorities are really "innocent until proven guilty?"

TaoJones
Old 08-06-2013, 17:33   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Third World countries are notorious with the way they deal out justice. Mauritz
The same could be said for the "great" state of Texas.

TaoJones
Old 08-06-2013, 17:40   #74
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I wouldn't call it callous, David - it's diametrically opposed to what most of us grow up believing. But your use of the modifier "primitive" for the Napoleonic Code (the basis of Mexico's system of justice) is, perhaps, unwarranted. See:

Napoleonic Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "guilty until proven innocent" part is hard to accept, of course, but as a system of justice the Napoleonic Code of 1804 was truly enlightened compared to what had typically occurred previously.

Then, too, who among us is naive enough to actually believe that in the American system of justice (based on English common law) all those who come to the attention of law enforcement authorities are really "innocent until proven guilty?"

TaoJones

Actually, yeah, that's what our system of laws state. I would argue that the trial of OJ Simpson for murder proves the concept.
Old 08-06-2013, 17:41   #75

I have less experience in Mexico but I suspect the same problem, partially caused by their Napoleonic (Civil) law instead of US common law, assuming foul play and guilty until proven innocent , and how will you prove yourself innocent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Since it isn't in Central or South America, but it is south of the border, was your omission of Mexico intentional or accidental?

TaoJones
Closed Thread