Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 18:09   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Do You Always Show an Anchor Light When Anchored?

International Collision regulations require anchored vessels to display a white all round light a night and fly a day anchor signal during daylight hours. Other than my own I have only ever seen one vessel fly a day anchor signal.

Anchor signals are also required in designated anchorages near traffic lanes.

About 15yrs ago in daylight a cruise ship lost steering and ploughed throrugh the designated anchorage in St.Johns Harbour, Antigua and destroyed a number of anchored sailboats. Only one sailboat was compensated .... the one flying a day anchor signal.

Old 06-06-2012, 18:31   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Wow, that's good to know. Thanks boatpoker.

Old 06-06-2012, 20:39   #78

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Its so easy to get careless in daylight. I too have never seen a day anchor shape on any private vessel. I put mine up and most other cruisers ask what it is. I also put up the under way under power if we also have sails up. We added Marine Beam spreader lights LED Spreader Lights, LED Deck Lights last year. If any one of these 800 lumen beauties is on we can't be missed. Tricolor with LED all around is 80 feet up - likely to be missed. The rules permit other lighting as long as it does not confuse. I also have the solar recharging patio lights. I bought a BIBI LED light I am considering as a hanger on the forestay. I agree with the consensus. Rules require a light at anchor. You may be uninsured & liable if you don't. Lots of things can happen even in a "designated anchorage". Use a light.

How about a long string of those LED decorator lights wrapped around the mast?
Old 06-06-2012, 20:51   #79
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'm compelled to go back to the issue often sited concerning the masthead anchor light being "useless", "too high to notice" or "mistaken for a star".
Agreed! I'd also like to take issue with the statement that Mexican pangeros never look up high enough to see a masthead light. I've had occasion to work with a number of pangeros as part of my research in the Sea of Cortez, and I've found them to be competent, conscientious boatmen who eke out a marginal living in a tough environment, often without being able to afford such niceties as a flashlight. I realize there have been accidents in anchorages, but the same could be said of fisherman of any nationality in any part of the world where little boats go fast.
Old 06-06-2012, 21:01   #80

I agree with he high/low or bow/stern lights so they can see from a distance and close up. I do all when in busy areas.

My favorite is when I see boats sailing down the channel with nav lights, steaming lights, anchor lights and deck lights-all bright as a cruise ship. Guess they figure they'd get the right one if they have all on. The Harbor Patrol doesn't make a peep. Other boats may hit them because they are blinded by the light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58
How about a long string of those LED decorator lights wrapped around the mast?

You will be whistling when ya see me with my new decorator lights wrapped around my mast. I love it when they wrap palm trees so I will really enjoy my mast lit. I'll be stylin' !! Great idea, Nicholson Gloria
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2468890666.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	42018  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:25   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

try sailing here before making judgementalizations. the capitans inmexico tske their jobs very seriously, and do not run over sailboats or other craft in anchorages. even the pangeros after many mexican sodapops(cervezas) are btter at boat handling than many of the cruisers i have met frim usa and canada.

be smart and light your cockpit where the pangeros look for lighting --they dont look up, they look for lights at their eye level.

unless you are actively cruising here, you do not know what is reality.
Your right Zee, I've never cruised around Mexico, spent a year working on tugboats in the Gulf of Campeche, and time in various other ports around Mexico, but that was earning a living, not cruising, so what do I know.
I dont think in my original post that I accused mexican fisherman of being incompetent, that was somethinmg you read in to it.'
I dout if they are any worse, or better, than fisherman, and for that matter, anyone else making a living at sea, from around the world.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52   #82

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
try sailing here before making judgementalizations.

unless you are actively cruising here, you do not know what is reality. come out to play then make silly remarks about mexican prison for those not using anchor lights--you will find many cruisers not using any. pangeros know where those folks are---they go out and come back in same day, so they are aware of yur presence. they are not stupid nor unobservant. they make their living on the sea.
Wow! I was not trying to offend you or start an arguement. Lets just say I agree to disagree with you opinions...

As far as my experience in Mexico... My wife and I are fulltime cruisers. We sailed the Pacific Coast of Mexico from Oct. 2010 until Mar 2012 (17 months). We logged 5500 nautical miles, stopping at over 100 ports or anchorages along Baja California and the Pacific coast of Mexico and spent six months in the Sea of Cortez, traveling as far north as Puerto Penasco. So we have a little bit of knowledge about the Mexican martime environment.

As far as licensing... I started sailing on the San Francisco Bay when I was 16 and driving power boats shortly thereafter. I have owned three sailboats from 27 to 47 feet. I have worked professionally (Got paid) as either deck staff or Captain on sail/power boats up to 165 feet. I hold a USCG 100-ton Near Coastal License, Able Seaman and Lifeboatman certifictions as well as other endorsements.

With that said, I don't know it all and never will... I try to learn something everyday, which is why I participate on this list.

Fair winds

Old 07-06-2012, 06:17   #83

Boat: No boat, looking again.

At the moment my anchor light is on 24/7, not that you can see it in the daytime. I recently bought the boat and brought it up the coast to its permanent home. Have it on a leased buoy mooring and it was just out the front of the busy boatclub. I want it easy to see as plenty of traffic after dark (live-a-boards home from pub or home from work, people fishing for barra). Since I don't have a special switch to turn it off during the day time, and I am not living aboard, the LEDs run all the time. Other folk on moorings don't have anchor lights but I am happy to have mine on. Someone asked my what make the light was as he said it was bright so folk do see it.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57   #84

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
"give them credit for brains--they are not 50 or 100 ton wannabes-they are 1600 ton masters and proud of their licensure and want to keep same-that doesnt happen with collisions.
You might want to talk with the Captains of the Mexican Fishing Vessels or the Mexican Navy.

Like in the USA (And most other countries), most commerical fishing Captains in Mexico are NOT licensed by any authority, unless they are taking paid passengers. This includes the Mexican Shrimp Boats. The crews just have experience on the sea and either own their boat or are hired to to run it by the vessels owner.

As far as the Panga drivers... With few exceptions, none of them have maritime licenses or are subject to any inspections.

Despite your views, the fact is, Mexican Panganero's in general have a horrible reputation for unsafe acts on the water, even by their own countrymen. They routinely drive through anchorages at full speed, sleep in unlit boats, will floating in active shipping lanes, lay unmarked and usually unattended long lines/fishing nets and carrying virtually no safety gear.

With that said, not all of them are bad and most have spent their lives on the water, fishing to support their familes. The panganeros in Santa Rosalia loose an average of one sailor a month, while fishing for Humbolt Squid and others along the the Pacific coast take their little boats (20-25 feet) as much as 40 miles off shore to fish. So I do have respect for them.

During our time in Mexico, I knew of two sailboats struck by pangas in the dark, while they were anchored with anchor/deck lighting on. Also another sailboat, while sailing between San Carlos and Topolobompo struck a panga in the middle of the night when the panga crew decided to get some sleep in an unlit panga during a night with no moon.

Thankfully, none of the accidents resulted in injuries or serious damage... If they had the Mexican authorities would under Napolionic Law would have arrested the involved parties, until an investigation was complete.

This is standard practice in Mexico that ANYTIME someone is seriously hurt or killed... Usually it is resolved when the person found at fault pays Mordita (Money) to the aggrieved family and then he/she is released from jail.

So again I say if I have a choice between a Mexican Jail and an anchor light, I'll flip the switch everytime.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

funny how the mexican capitans i spoke with were 1600 tonners LICENSED and actively working for a federal co-operative. i make sure are able to SEE my boat as i keep cockpit lighted well and main mast lit as well. the masthead light looks like ambient city lighting--is difficult to distinguish from the city lights nearby.
never trust anyone but give credit to those who work hard on the water for a living--they LIKE to return to families and home.

i DO speak with the capitans and pangeros and capitanias de los puertos in which i stop over. is most interesting to mix with the locals to learn the ways and laws of the area in which you CHOOSE to cruise.
omg--some even speak english!!! but is more fun speaking with them in spanish.
Old 07-06-2012, 13:36   #86

Boat: 74 Westsail 32

With all due respect...

Knowing someone, knowing their certifications, knowing everything about them... Doesn't exempt them from being human. And humans err. All of us. Even the best sailor on earth who has every conceivable certification and license makes mistakes.

Keep an anchor light on to help out your brother/sisters when they're making the mistake of not watching as vigilantly at night as they should. Keep an anchor light on because its the law of the sea and the law of the land. And keep an anchor light on to set an example and be a roll model for those that come after you.

Sundowner Sails Again
Old 07-06-2012, 14:17   #87
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

sigh. another anchor thread gone bad. and this time we weren't even talking about anchors, just anchor lights.
Old 07-06-2012, 14:30   #88

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Why does it always have to end this way.
Can't we all just get along?
Old 07-06-2012, 15:44   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Have not seen you here much for a while.

Out sailing I guess.
Old 07-06-2012, 15:47   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

We seem to have reached the natural conclusion of this thread....

Closed Thread

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: