Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 16:00   #16

Re: Do USCG safety regs apply to foreign flagged vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post
To add to that (so nobody reading this later is confused). It seems (according to the policy doc posted by sailorchic) that Canada has signed a reciprocal agreement with the US that allows for Canadian CG certified vessels to operate in US waters without having to comply with USCG carriage requirements (lifejackets, signaling devices and fire extinguishers etc). Seems like boats from other countries are out of luck!
Gary
That makes sense; there are a lot of rules and when I was doing boarding parties in the US Navy it was always case by case. We'd actually call back to a legal department in Washington to verify before we actually loaded up and paid whomever a visit.

It really is a mess of rules. We never did inspections for safety equipment; as long as we could point a track out that the vessel was inbound to US waters and it wasn't a sovereign vessel of whatever state, it was fair game.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 16:03   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
They can inspect:

- any US flagged vessel, anywhere.
- any vessel in US waters except for warships or government vessels.
- any vessel believed to be heading towards US waters.

So yes, to answer the thread starter's question, you are subject to USCG rules. It varies nation to nation based on rules in the UN, unilateral treaties, and bilateral arrangements.
Unfortunately, in essence.......I wouldn't' cruise here if I already didn't live here.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 16:03   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post

To add to that (so nobody reading this later is confused). It seems (according to the policy doc posted by sailorchic) that Canada has signed a reciprocal agreement with the US that allows for Canadian CG certified vessels to operate in US waters without having to comply with USCG carriage requirements (lifejackets, signaling devices and fire extinguishers etc). Seems like boats from other countries are out of luck!
Gary
And vice versa. US certified boats can operate in Canadian waters. Sailerchic, thanks for posting that, I was aware of it generally but it's nice to have the actual documentation.
Old 31-10-2013, 16:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Unfortunately, in essence.......I wouldn't' cruise here if I already didn't live here.
There are some jerk Sailors and Coast Guardsmen but if you put yourself in their shoes (or boots, as it were) you're dealing with the ocean, drug runners, human smugglers, idiots risking the lives of others, not to mention no-kidding navies and pirates.

The rules are loose to make it possible for them to do their jobs. We never hassled anyone unfairly, and as a civilian I've always been treated well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 11:24   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I know this is an old thread but the policy doc. posted by SC34 if for ships of greater than 300 tons. It is not for pleasure vessels that in effect do not carry passengers in trade.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety