Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 12:45   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Do NOT let your cruising permit expire in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckely View Post
I am a rule follower so this question is just out of curiosity.

If you had presented yourself at a different marina with your Q flag in place, as a new arrival, would anyone know the difference? You don't have to clear out of the country

My luck they would have already noticed my boat had overstayed and have it’s name on a list, then when I showed up with my story there would be hell to pay.

I have cleared into and out of many Central American countries flying aircraft, almost always if your respectful and acknowledge their authority and are simply apologetic, you can get away with a lot more than if your the ugly American.
Most of the time they will take the easy way out for them, which is to not push the issue and just let it go, pushing it is a lot of paperwork etc, and they don’t get any extra money. However if you tick them off, well all that extra work to fry your behind just may be worth it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 14:03   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckely View Post
I am a rule follower so this question is just out of curiosity.

If you had presented yourself at a different marina with your Q flag in place, as a new arrival, would anyone know the difference? You don't have to clear out of the country

If they looked for an exit stamp after the earlier entry you would have to lie about why you didn’t have that. I don’t know how they are about exit formalities there.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 14:28   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
"Rather than sailing back to Annapolis we decided to have the boat hauled in Freeport, the bottom done, engines serviced and stored until the following season." That was when a tremendous error in or lack of judgement occurred to think that you could exit their country in a timely manner, but that for convenience purposes your sound, seaworthy, vessel could overstay its "visa" to be in country without clearing customs or renewing its permit.
Not trying to be too defensive about my actions, but this was not an "error in or lack of judgement." I certainly knew that the cruising permit would have to be renewed, but at the time I believed I would have to present myself in person, with the vessel at a POE in order to renew. That wasn't possible in this case because the yard had fallen behind in their remediation and launching schedule. Once the repairs had been completed, and the boat launched I wasted no time in doing what I thought was required. The mistake I made (and part of the information I am trying to share with others here) is not knowing that the cruising permit can be renewed by a visit to customs without presenting the vessel.

My only purpose in making this post at all was to share this information with others. Your comments about my attitudes and "lack of judgement" notwithstanding, I have great respect and affection for the Bahamas and especially the Bahamian people.

V/R

Art
Anjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 14:34   #19

From the Government of The Commonwealth of The Bahamas frequently asked question website.

"It is understood that a Cruising Permit is good for 12 months from the date of arrival. What happens if we wish to stay longer?
Upon written application to the Comptroller of Customs, two (2) extensions may be granted for a fee of $500.00 for each extension. At the end of the second extension, the Pleasure Vessel must leave the country or be Duty Paid."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 14:54   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Thanks OP. Not related to your issue, but to inform others, I decided to check the regulations for bringing my dog, a beagle, to the Bahamas. Clicked here:

https://www.bahamas.com/faq/enteringexiting-policies

Got an immediate response thru chat. Directing me here:

https://www.bahamas.com/travel-tips

A number of PDF forms available online. It's 5:45 EST, It seems you can find the info you need.

Thanks, OP.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 15:01   #21

Another word of caution:

The standard form presently being used by Bahama Customs has "6 months" already printed on it.

If you need a full year, you must specifically ask and check to see the dates are entered correctly on the cruising permit. Otherwise it may be another $500 after 6 months.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 16:04   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
I enter the Bahamas through the Abacos, checking in at Green Turtle. In the past, I have been granted a 3-month entry--the office there is apparently unable to provide longer. This season I plan to stay for six months, so I thought, 'Why not contact the Bahamas Embassy/appropriate Consulate in the USA and get a six-month visa in advance of my arrival?'

The lesson (apparently) is don't waste your time. Three emails about how/where to do such a thing from the USA were sent over the last three months, and I still have not had a response. Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I guess I will skip Green Turtle and run down to Marsh Harbor to check in.

If anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated.
Last two times, West End gave us 1yr. permits without us asking.
Old 12-12-2018, 16:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If they looked for an exit stamp after the earlier entry you would have to lie about why you didn’t have that. I don’t know how they are about exit formalities there.
There are no exit formalities in the Bahamas .... one simply sails away.
Old 12-12-2018, 16:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There are no exit formalities in the Bahamas .... one simply sails away.

Maybe for immigration, but I believe you are suppose to surrender the cruising permit. They allow it to be mailed back also.
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Maybe for immigration, but I believe you are suppose to surrender the cruising permit. They allow it to be mailed back also.
Has not been my experience with seven Bahamas cruising licenses.
Old 12-12-2018, 17:44   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I feel sure that you are supposed to surrender the cruising permit on leaving, and it can be mailed back in.
Maybe it’s just not enforced?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:51   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I feel sure that you are supposed to surrender the cruising permit on leaving, and it can be mailed back in.
Maybe it’s just not enforced?
Just looked, no mention of that on their website.
Old 12-12-2018, 18:02   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I prefer where things are cheap and officials flexible.

I've never had to pay a bribe I thought unreasonably expensive.

Real corruption is something different, and the stuff at the level of MNCs and US politics is far worthier of our attention.
Corruption is corruption, and cheap is relative. How much would you consider an unreasonable bribe? All bribery is unreasonable, and it is corruption. It drives me nuts, and the amount I was fleeced by corrupt officials on my next-to-last major cruise totalled more than 10% of a year's cruising budget.

And then there were unexpected beacons of light in the morass, most notably and surprisingly Guanaja, where check-in cost exactly $3 USD. It cost a lot more on the Pacific side of that country.
Old 12-12-2018, 18:58   #29

Boat: S2 9.1

Hi just read through that Bahamas Regs that Boatpoker listed. It says that Canadian Citizens need a Bahamas Visa to stay longer than three months.

Does that have to be arranged before going there?

Son and daughter in law are heading there in the next few weeks.

Thanks

Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 19:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Just looked, no mention of that on their website.
Don't know how current this is.....IIRC this is printed on the cruising license.

https://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/c...d-0775b802b026

Quote:
  • No Customs clearance is required for vessels under this category when leaving for the United States. However the master of the vessel is required to return the Cruising Permit form C39 and Immigration cards by mail to (Comptroller of Customs P.O. Box N-155 Nassau, Bahamas).
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit