Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-12-2009, 16:38   #16

Boat: CT54
We checked into Cabo in November of this year and was surprised that basically no one at the Port Captains office spoke any English. We were also told not to worry that almost everyone knew English but we found that just is not the case. My husband knew some Spanish before leaving but we quickly realized it was not nearly enough to get by unless we were to stay in the tourist spots of Mexico. Just getting laundry done can be a challenge unless you speak fairly good Spanish.
If I were you I would learn as much as possible before leaving and bring a Spanish to English dictionary with you everywhere.
Fair Winds and Following Seas,

jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 18:38   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bienvenidos a Mexico

Here is a review written by Beth Leonard of the very unique Spanish for Cruisers phrasebook, which appeared in Cruising World:
Cruising World - July 2009
"Kathy Parsons' gem of a book should be aboard any boat cruising along the shores of Spanish-speaking countries.
...Parsons provides the essential vocabulary that only a cruiser could love – words like 'rotor windings' and 'cutlass bearing', 'dipstick' and 'hose clamp' – and that never manage to find their way into bilingual dictionaries.
When only the right word will do, this book presents it to you like a gift."
Beth A. Leonard
From the Spanish for Cruisers website.

I might add that there are many sections, from "port captains and officials" to "boat parts" to "fruits & vegetables." I speak a good bit of Spanish, but when I go, I'll have one of these.

s/y Eagle's Wings Catalina 30 MkII
"Man must have just enough faith in himself to have adventures, and just enough doubt of himself to enjoy them." G. K. Chesterfield
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 00:28   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Est unday cabo esta loc donde es del mar le ghorto musted pordelo.

Stupid gringos dont think we understand them...lets screw with their heads awhile.
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 07:59   #19

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Learnig Spanish.........

After taking Spanish lessons, having Spanish speaking friends.......I still never really learned to speak fluent Spanish. It was only after purchasing a Mango Plantation and living and eating with the help, did I learn spanish and all the local sayings that they don't teach you in school.

Lesson learned: Buy a Mango Plantation (near the ocean)
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 08:20   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Try to learn a little...

I am in total agreement with everyone here who said that making an effort to learn some of the language goes a long way in creating good will.
I am always amazed that people in the USA are almost non-toerant of people who come to our country and can't speak English yet where ever we go we expect, and in some cases demand, that they speak our language.

At most any book store you can buy a CD/Book set to learn Spanish for less than $50. With a couple hours a day working the course (while you are actually sailing there and have nothing else to do) you will get a really good head start.
My experience is that the people in Latin America will bend over backwards for you if you make even the slightest effort.
Have a great cruise.

Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote

english, port authorities, Mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: