Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 15:01   #46

Boat: Malö 40H
Re: Do I really need a license that is valid for the countries I visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I am a licensed ham operator so licensing is covered with respect to radios.
Actually...

At least in Germany this is not the case. This was actually a question in the test for the VHF radio operator license (at least for the inland waters radio certificate) .. an amateur radio license doesn't entitle you to operate a ship radio station in Germany. I don't know about elsewhere in Europe but not unlikely that this is also the case I would guess.

Now please don't start shooting
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 15:57   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Actually...

At least in Germany this is not the case. This was actually a question in the test for the VHF radio operator license (at least for the inland waters radio certificate) .. an amateur radio license doesn't entitle you to operate a ship radio station in Germany. I don't know about elsewhere in Europe but not unlikely that this is also the case I would guess.

Now please don't start shooting
no problem also I rather doubt I would be sailing in Germany . Possibly the med but still not likely I'm a Pacific sailor
Old 10-12-2017, 17:41   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IIRC, Yanks going to foreign waters need both a Station license and an Operators license to be legal. In 31 years cruising in the Pacific, we've never been asked for either.

Jim
Old 10-12-2017, 18:54   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IIRC, Yanks going to foreign waters need both a Station license and an Operators license to be legal. In 31 years cruising in the Pacific, we've never been asked for either.

Jim

I thought that even in US waters if you use your HF it and you needed a license, a VHF you did not, it’s similar I guess to CB and FRS.
On the Ham license covering Marine, it may, logic would say it certainly should, but maybe Joe official want to see that Restricted Telephone Operators Permit and doesn’t know any better?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 19:01   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I thought that even in US waters if you use your HF it and you needed a license, a VHF you did not, it’s similar I guess to CB and FRS.
On the Ham license covering Marine, it may, logic would say it certainly should, but maybe Joe official want to see that Restricted Telephone Operators Permit and doesn’t know any better?
to answer your question yes it does for tech and above.

The Technician License

The Technician class license is the entry-level license of choice for most new ham radio operators. To earn the Technician license requires passing one examination totaling 35 questions on radio theory, regulations and operating practices. The license gives access to all Amateur Radio frequencies above 30 megahertz, allowing these licensees the ability to communicate locally and most often within North America. It also allows for some limited privileges on the HF (also called "short wave") bands used for international communications
Old 10-12-2017, 19:07   #51
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

The Technician License

The Technician class license is the entry-level license of choice for most new ham radio operators. To earn the Technician license requires passing one examination totaling 35 questions on radio theory, regulations and operating practices. The license gives access to all Amateur Radio frequencies above 30 megahertz, allowing these licensees the ability to communicate locally and most often within North America. It also allows for some limited privileges on the HF (also called "short wave") bands used for international communications
FWIW, the above licence wouldn't cut the mustard in Australia with regard to transmitting on marine VHF and HF frequencies. I would be surprised if was accepted in most other countries that are signatories to the ITU.

Of course it would be good for most HAM (Amateur Radio) operations.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 19:27   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, the above licence wouldn't cut the mustard in Australia with regard to transmitting on marine VHF and HF frequencies. I would be surprised if was accepted in most other countries that are signatories to the ITU.

Of course it would be good for most HAM (Amateur Radio) operations.
I'm a general but the info was listed with the tech license which is below mine.
Also once you pass the tests to get a general ham ticket its easy to pass the hf and vhf tests.
( I got mine back about 35 years ago when you still had to know Morse code. )
cooperated several mars stations back in the day to.
Old 10-12-2017, 19:50   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I'm a general but the info was listed with the tech license which is below mine.
Also once you pass the tests to get a general ham ticket its easy to pass the hf and vhf tests.
But the point is that no ham license gives you privileges on the Marine frequencies, MF, HF or VHF. For HF anywhere and VHF in foreign waters, the ship needs a station license and the operator needs a Restricted RAdio Operators permit or better, both issued by the FCC. No test is involved, but there is a fee for the station license.

Jim

N9GFT/VK4GFT
Old 10-12-2017, 19:56   #54

Boat: Outremer 55L

OFCOM in the UK does not charge for a ship station licence. But only for British registered vessels.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 20:07   #55

Quote:
Regardless, for most of the planet these days you are required to hold Marine certification for Marine MF/HF/VHF operations, there is no credit or recognition given for holding a HAM/Amateur licence and you can't operate (legally) Marine MF/HF/VHF equipment if all you hold is a HAM/Amateur licence, no mater what level it may be, it's irrelevant......

EG Australia: https://www.acma.gov.au/theacma/mari...qualifications

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 20:43   #56

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:

The Technician License

I'd be very surprised if there are any countries where an amateur licence is also good for marine bands. US amateurs can only use the bands listed here: Frequency Allocations - Note there are no marine bands, those "limited privileges on HF bands" are strictly for amateur HF bands.

And for ships licences:
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations

You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.
Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.

So regardless of the laws of other countries, the USA requires you to have a licence if a US flagged boat leaves the USA.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 21:55   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I'd be very surprised if there are any countries where an amateur licence is also good for marine bands. US amateurs can only use the bands listed here: Frequency Allocations - Note there are no marine bands, those "limited privileges on HF bands" are strictly for amateur HF bands.

And for ships licences:
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations

You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC.
Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.

So regardless of the laws of other countries, the USA requires you to have a licence if a US flagged boat leaves the USA.
it is a learning experience for me I having not left us territorial waters in about 20 years.
Guess I will need to spend some money for licenses. ( its all about the money it seems if there is no skill test given)
Old 11-12-2017, 00:16   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
it is a learning experience for me I having not left us territorial waters in about 20 years.
Guess I will need to spend some money for licenses. ( its all about the money it seems if there is no skill test given)
Technically it is about being a signatory to the ITU; it is what the international community has agreed to.

Each member state decides how to meet it's obligations; maybe you correct about how it is in the US; it's different down under - a course, test and money etc - but's it isn't onerous . But you still get a lot operators who apparently learn't nothing or more likely, have never worried about getting the licence.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license