Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 10:00   #46

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: "Digital searches" in New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
Well yes, The info I garner is straight from the NZ website when I was considering becoming a Winter resident there.
So you've never been?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:06   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

NZ is a civilized and well run country. There is zero need to assume there is bad intent.

Authorities need a way to search the boat, also the digital part of it.

It is 21 century and people move some very nasty stuff, also on their hard drives.

So, to me, NZ move is perfectly transparent and understandable.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:11   #48

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 33

I think its rich and poor stuff. If you're not rich, its suspected drug or terrorism and anything is justified. If you are a corporation, information is proprietary and beyond the reach of mere border agents and of course if you're Trump your tax records really are private.
hpaabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:04   #49

Boat: Hunter 26

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Read more: Search and Seizure - The Fourth Amendment: Origins, Text, And History - Police, Searches, Warrants, and Law - JRank Articles Search and Seizure - The Fourth Amendment: Origins, Text, And History - Police, Searches, Warrants, and Law - JRank Articles
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 13:56   #50

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranger View Post
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Read more: Search and Seizure - The Fourth Amendment: Origins, Text, And History - Police, Searches, Warrants, and Law - JRank Articles Search and Seizure - The Fourth Amendment: Origins, Text, And History - Police, Searches, Warrants, and Law - JRank Articles
So what does the US constitution have to do with New Zealand customs entry?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 15:12   #51

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So what does the US constitution have to do with New Zealand customs entry?
There was an earlier post about how you can have your cell phones searched entering the U.S. I should have quoted to be clear.
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 18:36   #52

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Cyrus, if Kiwi laws offend you, don't go there.

If the laws in any country offend you, don't go there.

Or, if you prefer, slap your Congressmen around until they declare war, subjugate the other folks, and take it over. That's pretty much how we got Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Phillipines...all war prizes. (Yeah, Cuba used to belong to the US.)

It is "their" country, they can make their own laws.

As to OUR own laws and the behavior of OUR native border patrol and customs agents? That's what happens when you give away the right to vote to everyone. The founding fathers never intended to have everyone voting, they felt that the bulk of the population was UNFIT TO RUN THE GOVERNMENT which is why only about 20% of the population gained the right to vote after we became a nation.

As Stan Laurel said to Oliver Hardy:
"Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten us into!"
I am a Kiwi, and this law offends me. Not going to my own country is not a choice, however.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 20:33   #53

Boat: Still building

If you think NZ Customs are bad, try entering Australia. According to all accounts on this and other forums, it's akin to a prostate exam by a ham-fisted, robotic, pyscopath, carrying automatic weapons.

On my last trip to NZ, I had no dramas with NZ customs. Only the Aussies, who went through my box of bits and declared I couldn't have the gas cylinder in my portable stove on the aircraft. I had to dump it in the nearest airport rubbish bin.

I get the logic of not having pressure cylinders in an aircraft hold, but that it's OK to have them in a trash can in the middle of a public concourse???

Nuts, if you ask me...

Or, at the very least, illogical.

YMMV

And don't ask me why I had not thought to remove the cylinder from the stove. I was just 'going camping' so had packed my 'camping stuff' so I didn't have to buy all new 'stuff' in NZ. The concept of not being blown out of the sky by my own gas bottle didn't even begin to cross my mind - until I got to check in, and my box was 'unpacked' prior to loading on the conveyor.... Call it a 'doh' moment...

I can laugh about it now, but the loss of $5-worth of gas cyclinders for some reason incensed me at the time. If I recall correctly, they were cheaper in NZ....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 22:01   #54

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
If you think NZ Customs are bad, try entering Australia. According to all accounts on this and other forums, it's akin to a prostate exam by a ham-fisted, robotic, pyscopath, carrying automatic weapons.

On my last trip to NZ, I had no dramas with NZ customs. Only the Aussies, who went through my box of bits and declared I couldn't have the gas cylinder in my portable stove on the aircraft. I had to dump it in the nearest airport rubbish bin.

I get the logic of not having pressure cylinders in an aircraft hold, but that it's OK to have them in a trash can in the middle of a public concourse???

Nuts, if you ask me...

Or, at the very least, illogical.

YMMV

And don't ask me why I had not thought to remove the cylinder from the stove. I was just 'going camping' so had packed my 'camping stuff' so I didn't have to buy all new 'stuff' in NZ. The concept of not being blown out of the sky by my own gas bottle didn't even begin to cross my mind - until I got to check in, and my box was 'unpacked' prior to loading on the conveyor.... Call it a 'doh' moment...

I can laugh about it now, but the loss of $5-worth of gas cyclinders for some reason incensed me at the time. If I recall correctly, they were cheaper in NZ....
Having been a flight attendant that regularly did the Aus to NZ run I am glad that they found and removed the gas cyl.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 22:49   #55

Yeah, definitely a 'mea culpa' on that one.....

Old 09-10-2018, 11:27   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Grant-
Not to worry, just give them the wrong password, even volunteer to enter it for them.
Depending on the phone, it can be set to totally wipe itself after as little as three wrong entries. Ooops. Damn, sorry officer, it seems really messed up now.
Sometimes, "security" procedures are simply counterproductive, and very poorly considered.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:45   #57

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... I concur with the "privacy invaded" sentiments above but note that digital inspections has been carried out for a long time now without the need for a password!
Maybe Hopoate has been put on the New Zealand Customs' payroll....

Ping
Chilling out in Pto Aguirre
Old 11-10-2018, 03:53   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Maybe Hopoate has been put on the New Zealand Customs' payroll....

Ping
Chilling out in Pto Aguirre

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 17:14   #59

NFOMCL.....
Old 11-10-2018, 20:31   #60

Boat: Outremer 55L

I have NFI what nfomcl means, please help
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags